Author Topic: Earliest mango variety?  (Read 13166 times)

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
Earliest mango variety?
« on: June 14, 2012, 03:37:13 PM »
I am writing up plans for a future project, and I am trying to find Early/Mid/late commercial type varieties.

Mid and late are easy,  but I am having a hard time finding an Early variety that has these features.

*Very early
*Medium to large fruit size
* Color / attractive
* Disease resistance
* Excellent taste
* Decent shelf life.
* Productive.
* little to no fiber

In the new super list being made, mangoes are only marked as Early,  Early -mid etc. But no specific months,

So far the only one that gets close to the above requirements is the Glenn,  any other suggestions?
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Earliest mango variety?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 03:55:52 PM »
I am writing up plans for a future project, and I am trying to find Early/Mid/late commercial type varieties.

Mid and late are easy,  but I am having a hard time finding an Early variety that has these features.

*Very early
* Color / attractive
* Disease resistance
* Excellent taste
* Decent shelf life.
* Productive.
* little to no fiber

In the new super list being made, mangoes are only marked as Early,  Early -mid etc. But no specific months,

So far the only one that gets close to the above requirements is the Glenn,  any other suggestions?
You are kind of cloisng the door looking for a super early variety with ALL of the attributes.  Rosigold, which is one of, if not the earliest varieties falls into some fo your categoies:

*Very early - yes
* Medium to large fruit size - meh (a little under a pound)
* Color / attractive - can be...yellow with crimson blush when properly ripened
* Disease resistance - Not sure on this one but I don't know of it being highly susceptible
* Excellent taste - to me, NO but considering it can be at least a month earlier than any other variety, this answer is relevant based on supply/enjoyment
* Decent shelf life. - par for the course (its no Gary, Carrie or Pina Colada as far as quck breakdown)
* Productive. - yes
* little to no fiber - yes 
- Rob

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012, 05:12:40 PM »
I recently planted a rosigold myself and have been quite happy with it. I have had a small amount of anthracnose, but nothing to worry about (and I didn't even spray copper this year). The fruit tastes very similar to a glenn, but slightly more flavorful.

*Very early
* Color / attractive
* Disease resistance
* Excellent taste
* Decent shelf life.
* Productive.
* little to no fiber

You are kind of cloisng the door looking for a super early variety with ALL of the attributes.  Rosigold, which is one of, if not the earliest varieties falls into some fo your categoies:

*Very early - yes
* Medium to large fruit size - meh (a little under a pound)
* Color / attractive - can be...yellow with crimson blush when properly ripened
* Disease resistance - Not sure on this one but I don't know of it being highly susceptible
* Excellent taste - to me, NO but considering it can be at least a month earlier than any other variety, this answer is relevant based on supply/enjoyment
* Decent shelf life. - par for the course (its no Gary, Carrie or Pina Colada as far as quck breakdown)
* Productive. - yes
* little to no fiber - yes
Jeff  :-)

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2012, 05:51:06 PM »
If you want a large, early and very tasty mango, Edward is my suggestion.  I have had some this year in May, and they were outstanding.

It is a "shy bearer" , but I'll take one Edward over 3 Glenn's or Rosigolds any day...

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2012, 06:00:39 PM »
Agree. I was eating Edwards in April, and they were astoundingly delicious. I know at least 2 Edwards trees that set a dual crop (April / June) this year.

If you want a large, early and very tasty mango, Edward is my suggestion.  I have had some this year in May, and they were outstanding.

It is a "shy bearer" , but I'll take one Edward over 3 Glenn's or Rosigolds any day...
Jeff  :-)

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2012, 06:10:40 PM »

Agree 100%...that is why my comment as to taste of Rosigold was just average.
- Rob

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2012, 02:31:04 AM »
Thanks guys for the advice, I haven't tried Rosigold yet, but have tried Edward, which was really good.   the nice thing is, there are mature trees of these varieties available locally, so if I needed scions I could get them. the project if it takes off, calls for 1000 trees, and I will probably have around 6 main varieties.

William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2012, 09:58:36 PM »
In the interest of having a complete season of mangos, what other varieties would you guys suggest that are early?  I have a Rosigold and an Edward in 15 gallons.  But according to Mangodog his Rosigold is not early for him in the California dessert.

Bill

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2012, 10:04:53 PM »
And I didn't realize Edward was such an early bearer. Would you guys say it is normal in Florida for Edward to fruit in April and May?  Or was it an abnormally early year for them for some reason? 

Plus the talk of possibly fruiting twice in a year and now I'm really excited about my Edward tree purchase.  Just a chance of two harvests makes me want to buy a tree.
Bill

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2012, 10:30:20 PM »
Aside from Rosigold, Edward is one of the very earliest mangoes in my yard.  They can set successive crops.  This year has been a poor production year for my Edward trees.  They don't usually produce huge crops, but given the size of the fruits, the fruiting is usually decent. This year is virtually fruitless for Edward. In a normal year, they can mature fruit in April, but May is much more common in my yard.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2012, 11:38:25 PM »
Here in Palm Beach county Edward set a larger-than-normal crop. It has a deserved reputation as a shy bearer. It is a consistent producer however, mainly because it usually flowers twice....once in November and again in January.

One alternative to Rosigold is Manilita. The two taste very similar imo.

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2012, 08:26:08 PM »
Cogshall
Har

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2012, 07:24:52 PM »
I was looking at the Ultimate Mango List and according to it Carrie, Jakarta, Southern Blush and Spirit of 76 are all early varieties.  Can anyone confirm this?

Also it lists Tess Pollock as very early.  It says it is not as tasty as Carrie but is productive with a long season.

Also there has been a lot of talk recently of Dupuis Saigon.  Supposedly it is very good and early.

Hope this helps.

Bill

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2012, 10:35:24 PM »
Jakarta and Southern Blush are more mid-season, when properly ripened.
Har

Capt Ram

• Lake Worth, Fl
    • View Profile
    • Sailing-charters.org
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2017, 12:21:26 PM »
Hi - Anyone have any Rosigold scions i could get in Palm Beach county ?? Will trade for ??
Www.sailing-charters.org

Squam256

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2017, 12:38:19 PM »
Hi - Anyone have any Rosigold scions i could get in Palm Beach county ?? Will trade for ??

I have a number of Rosigold trees. Wrong time for scionwood though. Better in a few months.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2017, 06:52:24 PM »
Rosigold seems to be out and newer one like Rosa and Dwarf Hawaiian are in. The last two are more reliable for earliest fruit.

There is a difference between early mango and earliest. There is a greater variety of early mangoes to chose from. You might be happy enough with an early tree. You can start a new thread for suggestions on early mango varieties for South Florida.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2017, 11:29:46 PM »
Rosigold seems to be out and newer one like Rosa and Dwarf Hawaiian are in. The last two are more reliable for earliest fruit.

There is a difference between early mango and earliest. There is a greater variety of early mangoes to chose from. You might be happy enough with an early tree. You can start a new thread for suggestions on early mango varieties for South Florida.

This is where subjective tastes come into play.  I would never waste the space on a Rosa.  Just not worthy IMO.  Dwarf Hawaiian is alao just average to me plus it can have uneven ripening issues.   Thise two, along wigh Rosigold...I would prefer to wait for better early season varieties.  Dupius,  grown in Eastern Palm Beach County,  is one of the better early varieties.  Guava mango, which is a tad later, is by far the best tasting of the earlier season varieties but it seems to be hit or miss in terms of productivity (I have seen it from heavy to light).  One thing it has going for it which is a reason it should be available in a year ir so is that it seems to be resistent to bacterial black spot.
- Rob

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2017, 08:35:46 AM »
This is where subjective tastes come into play.  I would never waste the space on a Rosa.  Just not worthy IMO.  Dwarf Hawaiian is alao just average to me plus it can have uneven ripening issues.   Thise two, along wigh Rosigold...I would prefer to wait for better early season varieties.  Dupius,  grown in Eastern Palm Beach County,  is one of the better early varieties.  Guava mango, which is a tad later, is by far the best tasting of the earlier season varieties but it seems to be hit or miss in terms of productivity (I have seen it from heavy to light).  One thing it has going for it which is a reason it should be available in a year ir so is that it seems to be resistent to bacterial black spot.
You know the many varieties lots more than I do so I will agree. But I still want one earliest variety top grafted. Just 5-10 earliest mangos would keep me happy.
As far as I know Truly Tropical in Delray has the most Dwarf Hawaiian and Rosa trees. It would be interesting to know how much demand there is for them. My guess is they easily sell out to the mango maniacs.
http://delraymango.blogspot.com/

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2017, 09:30:16 AM »
My Rosi gave me mature fruit in February once, and in March or April a few times. But the fruit did not taste good enough to bother with. Rosi's July fruit was better, but who cares, right?

That's why Rosi went bye-bye, for Dupuis and Guava.

PurpleAlligator

• USA, Miami, FL, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2017, 09:38:51 AM »
Rosigold is a consistent heavy early producer and a good mango. The other tree in my yard with a heavy early crop this year is rapoza.

My trees are only in their 3rd year. The Rosigold gave me about 30 mangoes last year and will probably double that this year, setting its fruit about a month ago and is now having a second bloom.

The rapoza gave me 5 mangoes last year that were very good. It's got a much heavier fruit set this year probably around 40 after drops. It had fruit set about a month ago and now is having a second bloom.

My honey kiss is off to a good start also with good fruit set and now blooming again. It's in its second year.

These 3 trees are way ahead of all others out of 60 varieties.

Capt Ram

• Lake Worth, Fl
    • View Profile
    • Sailing-charters.org
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2017, 08:04:31 AM »
I'd be happy with any mango that would be ripe before I leave overseas for work in late April. .IM out of country 6-7 months a year during mango season..and while I have 5 mango trees already producing fruit..the earlyests is Carrie and the latest one one is Keitt.. I've almost forgot what a ripe one tastes like
Thanks for the replys
Www.sailing-charters.org

Squam256

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2017, 11:29:34 AM »
I'd be happy with any mango that would be ripe before I leave overseas for work in late April. .IM out of country 6-7 months a year during mango season..and while I have 5 mango trees already producing fruit..the earlyests is Carrie and the latest one one is Keitt.. I've almost forgot what a ripe one tastes like
Thanks for the replys

You're options are basically Rosigold, Dwarf Hawaiian, Rosa, and Edward.

Edward is easily the best of the 4, but Rosigold probably would be the most consistent about producing early fruit in good numbers, depending on how close to the coast you are.

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2017, 11:40:27 AM »
Rosigold is a consistent heavy early producer and a good mango. The other tree in my yard with a heavy early crop this year is rapoza.

My trees are only in their 3rd year. The Rosigold gave me about 30 mangoes last year and will probably double that this year, setting its fruit about a month ago and is now having a second bloom.

The rapoza gave me 5 mangoes last year that were very good. It's got a much heavier fruit set this year probably around 40 after drops. It had fruit set about a month ago and now is having a second bloom.

What is your fertilization and mulching program? Looks like your mango trees have been fast tracked!

You're options are basically Rosigold, Dwarf Hawaiian, Rosa, and Edward.
Edward is easily the best of the 4, but Rosigold probably would be the most consistent about producing early fruit in good numbers, depending on how close to the coast you are.

Useful!!!

PurpleAlligator

• USA, Miami, FL, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2017, 12:35:58 PM »
Zands - I haven't done anything rigorous. One bag of mulch per year. Some 8/3/9 a couple times per year, spring and summer plus chelated minors once per year.   Mostly I leave them alone.  I follow Richard Campbells advice on tipping to get the trees bushier.

Rosigold - 3 years old

Rapoza - 3 years old

Honorable mention to Honey Kiss - 2 years old. Good clean fruit set early and more flowers pushing.