Author Topic: Seed propagation vs Grafting  (Read 162 times)

julienabade

• Aveiro, Portugal
    • View Profile
    • my instagram
Seed propagation vs Grafting
« on: February 25, 2024, 07:51:58 AM »
Hi folks!

I'd love to know if anyone has any knowledge or data base in relation to the difference between Seed propagation vs Grafting.

Basicly I'd like to understand, before buying new tropical fruit trees, which trees should I buy grafted and which ones should I buy the seed and germinate the trees myself...

I'm aware that the eugenia family is usually propagated through seed, no grafting. But apart from the rest of the trees I have no idea, although I assume I should always aim for grafting trees for faster production...

Can anyone help me to understand this subject deeper???

Much love out to everyone here. Much gratitude!!!

Julien, from Portugal.

Fruitguy

• Zone 10b - Miami, FL
    • United States, Miami,Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Seed propagation vs Grafting
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2024, 11:30:36 AM »
Generally speaking, grafted cultivars are supposed to be improved selections, either they are more productive, they have a better taste*, or some other unique characteristic (fruiting season, shape, size, color, etc.). As you mentioned, normally grafted trees produce quicker than seedlings. Other benefits to obtaining grafted plants vs seedings are (1) to (hopefully) avoid issues with dioecious species and (2) to obtain known genetic material that will ensure that you get the exact fruit (taste, color, size, etc.) that you are expecting. On the other hand, all new varieties come from seedlings, and they can be used as rootstocks for grafting.

Personally, I buy grafted plants when they are available, such as mangoes, avocados and Pouteria (or graft myself) and grow Garcinias and Eugenias from seed.  If I am buying outside local nurseries and/or seed suppliers, ask around first, read reviews, etc. There are just as many questionable online sellers as there are good, quality sellers, so I would recommend searching the forum first as there have been multiple posts on this topic, and if you do  not find any information, then asking your fellow forum members. Do this BEFORE sending your money.

*Taste is very subjective, so I strongly encourage people to try the fruit of a cultuvar before investing time (years) and money in a grafted plant to avoid possibly being disappointed. Just because "everyone" says something tastes good by no means mean you will agree.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk