Author Topic: Asiminaholics Anonymous  (Read 106880 times)

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
Re: Asiminaholics Anonymous
« Reply #250 on: July 31, 2019, 06:09:24 PM »
Cool, Luis!

Interesting that they are all single fruits, none are in clusters of multiple fruits.
Did you thin the clusters?
I think its because the sunflower its self polinating and only self polinated to make just one.With hand polination he would get more fruits from each flower.
Do you think so? It's the first time i get fruit... maby on next years i will get clusters...

usirius

• Never give up!
    • Southern Germany, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: July 31, 2019, 07:01:46 PM »
@SeaWalnut: Thanks for sharing thoe great pictures of Sapranthus planga (Asimina foetida). Do you have this plant in your collection or know anyone who hae this? I would like to do Trials concerning crossings with Asimina trioba. Dried pollen or seeds would be great. On the other side I would be able to send dried Asiminia Pollen or seeds to anyone who have Sapranthus palanga in his collection -for doing ..
pollination trials.
„May your choices reflect your hopes, not your fears.“ N. Mandela

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: July 31, 2019, 08:45:04 PM »
@ Luis,it made just one single fruit per flower because altough its selfpollinating,its not verry successfull at selfpolination.But with time it will make more flowers wich will atract polinators and it will make soo manny fruits like this tree in the video( its a sunflower,look at minute 4).https://youtu.be/Xi-4mgdUuuI
@ Usirius,i dont have any Saphranthus sp but i know one that sells seeds ( the only source).The seller doesnt have the  one thats caulyflorous i think( makes the fruits on the trunk),but i might be wrong.It caught my attention because its soo closely related to Asimina that it was called Asimina  and interesting crosses should be easyer to make.https://www.seedshuntershop.com/store/products/270908
As for the cherimoya seedling i have,il take clear pictures and post them in your forum in a day or 2.

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: August 01, 2019, 07:52:57 AM »
@ Luis,it made just one single fruit per flower because altough its selfpollinating,its not verry successfull at selfpolination.But with time it will make more flowers wich will atract polinators and it will make soo manny fruits like this tree in the video( its a sunflower,look at minute 4).https://youtu.be/Xi-4mgdUuuI
@ Usirius,i dont have any Saphranthus sp but i know one that sells seeds ( the only source).The seller doesnt have the  one thats caulyflorous i think( makes the fruits on the trunk),but i might be wrong.It caught my attention because its soo closely related to Asimina that it was called Asimina  and interesting crosses should be easyer to make.https://www.seedshuntershop.com/store/products/270908
As for the cherimoya seedling i have,il take clear pictures and post them in your forum in a day or 2.
WOW this video is really impressive! A lot of fruits in this tree! Thank's!

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: August 04, 2019, 10:07:21 PM »
First pawpaws of 2019!

Just picked today from trees in a city park. (Intentionally planted seedling trees)

Pretty early stuff.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 12:38:16 PM by Triloba Tracker »

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: August 05, 2019, 04:00:12 AM »
First pawpaws of 2019!

Just picked today from trees in a city park. (Intentionality planted seedling trees)

Pretty early stuff.

WOW! Soo soon! How lucky you are!   ::)

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #256 on: August 11, 2019, 05:51:32 PM »
Finishing off these fruits today, I found that one of them had a faint but unmistakable floral flavor, specifically: violet.
I have encountered many subtle flavors in pawpaws like pineapple, butterscotch (distinct from caramel), cinnamon, melon, and even durian. But a floral flavor is a first for me.
The Peterson selection Tallahatchie is reported to have a floral flavor. I wonder if it’s violet!

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: August 12, 2019, 03:15:30 AM »
Finishing off these fruits today, I found that one of them had a faint but unmistakable floral flavor, specifically: violet.
I have encountered many subtle flavors in pawpaws like pineapple, butterscotch (distinct from caramel), cinnamon, melon, and even durian. But a floral flavor is a first for me.
The Peterson selection Tallahatchie is reported to have a floral flavor. I wonder if it’s violet!
WOW! Pawpaw is soo interesting!   :P

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #258 on: August 12, 2019, 09:01:15 AM »
WOW! Pawpaw is soo interesting!   :P

It really is.....every fruit tastes different, it seems. Even on the same tree or the same cluster, there can be differences. I don't have a lot of experience (i.e. over many seasons) comparing specific cultivars, but i wonder even if the cultivars truly maintain their purported flavors or if pawpaws will always be pretty variable (with a basic flavor baseline of course).
God allowing, I'll be able to observe my own trees over the years and i will have an answer to this question :)

NateTheGreat

• SF Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: September 11, 2019, 10:56:52 PM »
My first pawpaw flower of the (next) season has opened. Another of my pawpaws had a fall flower last year, and most of them have buds now, which may open soon. My loquat is also about to flower, oddly.

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: September 15, 2019, 02:50:12 PM »
I just eat another small one and this time i think it was perfectly ripe, because it was just worderfull! So sweet and tropical, with a pudding texture… My God i want to plant a forest of tem!   :P :P :P

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #261 on: September 17, 2019, 03:22:48 PM »
Awesome, Luis!

I am really excited today because i discovered one of my seedling trees (Sunflower mother) has its first flower buds!
I planted the seed in February of 2017. So, after 3 growing seasons it has formed its first flower buds.

The tree is over 6 feet tall and about 4 feet wide with multiple branches and dense leaves (I will post a picture soon).
I think it is big enough to hold fruit if it chooses to :)  so, next year perhaps I will have fruit from this tree.

usirius

• Never give up!
    • Southern Germany, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: September 19, 2019, 06:16:19 AM »
@Triloba Tracker

This is a really very early flowering Paw Paw tree"

My long time experience concerning watching fruit bearing age of Asimina triloba is that age is not the main influence....age alone does not tell us much about a Paw Paw tree, to what extent it is able to grow and ripen fruit. Age alone is not the only decisive factor for the size of the tree and the formation of branches and branches. However, what can be said about free-standing trees and at least half-shady to sunny locations is that the tree usually bears fruit from a trunk thickness as high as a male thumb. 

Then a comment to the topic variation of the taste of Paw-Paw-fruits .- also on one and the same tree: It has an influence whether the fruit has grown and matured in a shaded area on the tree, or in the sun. In the sun, in my experience, the fruit is more aromatic. Likewise, if the fruit hung alone, it would be more aromatic, as if several competing fruits hung in close proximity to the same branch. And last but not least, the fruit quality of the living tree can vary from year to year, depending on whether the season was hot and dry, or rather wet and cool.

What are your experiences?

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: October 16, 2019, 05:50:13 AM »
Just got 3 new pawpaws. One Sibley, one Convis and one Prima…    ;D

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #264 on: October 16, 2019, 08:22:41 AM »
Whoa!
I’ve never heard of Sibley. There are lots of “homegrown” varieties out there though.
What do you know about it?

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: October 16, 2019, 11:03:46 AM »
Thank's!    ;D

"Convis" is one of those varieties that too originate in the fields of Corwin Davis in Michigan. Its big fruit weighs in average 400g and has distinctively yellow pulp. It usually ripens in the beginning of October (in Michigan area).

"Sibley" Native to Michigan, very productive fruits are big, they weigh about 400g, yellow pulp.

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: October 16, 2019, 02:11:08 PM »
There is a Sibley's Greenhouses in Louisiana that selected several extreme southern varieties of Asimina triloba, several decades ago.
Har

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #267 on: October 16, 2019, 04:04:36 PM »
There is a Sibley's Greenhouses in Louisiana that selected several extreme southern varieties of Asimina triloba, several decades ago.
Ahhh yes. I noticed that while googling right before your post.
Seems like Sibley is an uncommon variety these days.

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: October 16, 2019, 08:31:48 PM »
Awesome, Luis!

I am really excited today because i discovered one of my seedling trees (Sunflower mother) has its first flower buds!
I planted the seed in February of 2017. So, after 3 growing seasons it has formed its first flower buds.

The tree is over 6 feet tall and about 4 feet wide with multiple branches and dense leaves (I will post a picture soon).
I think it is big enough to hold fruit if it chooses to :)  so, next year perhaps I will have fruit from this tree.
My Prima ,when i bought it ,2 years old and 1 meter tall , had a flower allready.
Prima is known for fruiting in pots .

Francis_Eric

• 40 miles west of Chicago Aurora IL ZONE 5
    • View Profile
    • https://myspace.com/undisclosedforthetime/
« Reply #269 on: October 17, 2019, 07:10:42 AM »
Ahhh yes. I noticed that while googling right before your post.
Seems like Sibley is an uncommon variety these days.

I wish They market this (cultivar name) stuff Better
Like southern Sibley

According to the ( Tyler )Halvin pawpaw he Thinks there are too many cultivars coming out
just nurseries making up names (i've heard)

I think it is good to get bio diversity , but I can see that happening
same old Flavor same old characteristics  ,
but I really do not know about the different cultivars
just saying I could see Nurseries taking advantage (of something new)

I heard of another From Berea KY (I've been to that college, and someone mentioned eating it )
turns out that one changes color when it is ripe
(called Golden moon)

[quote author]

Big, golden yellow fruits with excellent flavor and texture. We came across this apparent seedling pawpaw discovered around Berea College in Berea, KY. It stood out immediately due to the fact that it was just loaded with dozens of plump, attractive, impressive sized fruits (6-12+ ounces) and the ripest fruit literally had turned this beautiful and distinct golden-yellow color. This is called a “color break” to pawpaw researchers and is a very rare and desirable trait that lets you know exactly when to harvest the ripe fruit. Golden Moon fruits are very thick, custardy and have a delicious, very sweet flavor with a light yellow colored flesh. The few seeds are easily removed. Low seed weight. Very productive, tree gets loaded with fruit. Unlike any other pawpaw we’ve come across. Overall a very productive, excellent quality and hardy pawpaw to add to any collection.[/quote]

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #270 on: October 17, 2019, 07:32:16 AM »
Yes lots of nurseries have their own varieties like Lehman’s Chiffon from Hidden Springs or Super Mario from ... I forgot where.
Golden moon another one from Peaceful Heritage.

I don’t know how I feel about it. There are hundreds of mango varieties, so why not pawpaws? I agree that at this point in pawpaw evolution (so to speak) the differences may be minor. But as someone who has found some good wild trees and who has several young seedlings, I’m hoping one or more may be something unique and maybe worthy of a name.
But I would not just put something out there that hasn’t been evaluated by other people and/or grown and tested too. So maybe the answer is make sure your stuff is at least reasonably tested.

EDIT - i would add: over-hyping a new selection i think is a concern and should be avoided. I've sent cuttings of a wild selection to a few people but i have been very deliberate in not acting like it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. It is a shame in my opinion when nurseries or catalogs greatly exaggerate things. If the fruit is that good, get other people to confirm it and then the fruit will speak for itself. That's my theory.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 08:51:44 AM by Triloba Tracker »

Francis_Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #271 on: October 17, 2019, 08:21:05 AM »
There is one in Canada that mentions growing  - 40 F (we've had polar a vortex, and they survived ) 
This site could be hype (it's been a while , but last I read I seemed like Marketing BS)

I am not as  concerned of the cold climate, but not ripening, in those Humid less climates. (isn't it)
so selections that ripen up sound promising to breed even higher North . (or use as a breeding tool for others .)

("taylor made") (taylor) seems to be their trade mark for seed grown plants that adapted
would be great if all this stuff adapted (I could believe , but the marketing turns me off)
At least their against GMO's

https://www.greenbarnnursery.ca/collections/cold-hardy-exotics/products/paw-paw-taylor

Thanks for letting me know of sibbley
 Brought 5 four feet tree's that where bare root to (NOLA) Louisiana (to ship)
 (unfortunately never got them from where I left them at the firehouse)

Har do you know If I use Northern root stock will that be bad for Putting Sibley on In Northern Louisiana .

Francis_Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #272 on: October 17, 2019, 09:00:27 AM »
We Should start a pawpaw, cultivar list hahaha ,
(and what they taste like, and where they were tasted season picked etc.)

Red fern Farm, Wapello Iowa
 has Regulus, Atria, Betria seedlings of Peterson cultivars
Shensus Pawpaw Seedlings: These seedlings have either Shenandoah or Susquehanna as their mother tree and Shenandoah or Susquehanna as the pollinizer tree. Seedlings of their crosses have produced some outstanding new genetics (Regulus, Atria, Betria)

I plan to visit them In Iowa, but too late for pawpaws (maybe Michigan has some in October)

Found this a while ago Paw paw resource page
https://www.sas.upenn.edu/~dailey/pawpaw.html
see photo section for bigger pictures
 a lot of different names I never heard in picture below
This just makes me want to get that big one with 4 seeds maybe next year.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 09:07:14 AM by Francis_Eric »

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: October 17, 2019, 08:06:55 PM »
Trying to observe root-stocks' differing influence is always an interesting challenge....
Har

usirius

• Never give up!
    • Southern Germany, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: October 18, 2019, 01:55:58 PM »
Really amazing and worth reading information contributions of the last days!

Yes, I also think that classifying PawPAw fences can be very subjective. I find it difficult, even though I have been cultivating several Paw Paw varieties for 30 years, if I only see the fruit, especially if the size and shape of the fruit are untypical for the variety, and they also occur, to determine the variety, and in my opinion the state of ripeness has a very big influence on the fruit taste! The best fruits are still those that are fully ripe (and not provoked by a wind or storm) and fall from the tree.

For me, besides a strong aroma, the number of kernels, the fruit size and the ripening time are also a criterion. It would be nice, of course, if - as Francis_ said before - the PawPaws wouldn't grow so big, so that you could plant more in a smaller space. So not too large growing specimens would also be a desirable breeding goal - in addition to different ripening times to be able to extend the period of harvest - early ripening varieties would also be interesting in colder regions with shorter seasons.

Another possibility would be to grow PawPaws with more decorative flowers just because of their ornamental value, such as plum varieties that have stuffed or particularly pink flowers and little or no fruit formation. These are also planted here and there! Another variant would be to select PAwPAws with particularly decorative leaves, perhaps also variegata-Frmen or red-leafed forms....  Or maybe...such PawPaw selections already exists anywhere, and this is not or hardly known so far??
« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 05:50:08 AM by usirius »