Author Topic: My first mango tree... Venus Mango  (Read 1761 times)

DallasYoung

• Edgewater Florida 9B
    • View Profile
My first mango tree... Venus Mango
« on: May 14, 2019, 02:31:59 PM »
Hey there! So after long consideration and over an hour at the nursery trying to pick the right variety for me, I ended up with this Venus Mango. Looked very healthy and seems like a great variety. I needed something rather compact and some reviews mentioned that about this one. I live in 9b, near the coast and plan on planting close to my porch so I can have access to an outlet for a heater and hoop house if we get a freeze. I have just a couple questions..

-I have sandy soil, should I amend with anything at planning?
-Should I “top” of trim any of it? Or wait until next spring?
-When it comes to pruning for shape and size, is there a method or should I just let it go?
-Anything else of significance I should know about my new tree?

I also picked up a Broadleaf Papaya and Tikal Guava. I’m really excited about the opportunity to grow so many great fruits in my small backyard. Thanks for the advice!

« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 03:26:39 PM by DallasYoung »

chad6159

• Cape Coral, FL
    • View Profile
Re: My first mango tree... Venus Mango
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2019, 03:45:17 PM »
Just my opinion, I am no expert:

1. do not amend your soil with anything.
2. I would tip each branch now
3.Watch this video, especially around the 8:40 mark. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zh1AnvNa6mc
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 03:59:22 PM by chad6159 »

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2019, 03:46:38 PM »
Hey there! So after long consideration and over an hour at the nursery trying to pick the right variety for me, I ended up with this Venus Mango. Looked very healthy and seems like a great variety. I needed something rather compact and some reviews mentioned that about this one. I live in 9b, near the coast and plan on planting close to my porch so I can have access to an outlet for a heater and hoop house if we get a freeze. I have just a couple questions..

-I have sandy soil, should I amend with anything at planning?
-Should I “top” of trim any of it? Or wait until next spring?
-When it comes to pruning for shape and size, is there a method or should I just let it go?
-Anything else of significance I should know about my new tree?
I also picked up a Broadleaf Papaya and Tikal Guava. I’m really excited about the opportunity to grow so many great fruits in my small backyard. Thanks for the advice!

Do not amend the soil while planting, but apply a 3-4 inch layer of mulch around the tree. You can fertilize after a month with 8-3-9. Fertilize from April to October at 45 day intervals. The tree looks good and, according to me, does not need trimming. Venus is not a vigorous grower anyway.

DallasYoung

• Edgewater Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2019, 03:56:52 PM »

2. I would top each branch now
3.Watch this video, especially around the 8:40 mark. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zh1AnvNa6mc

Here’s my three main stems. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Right side

Left side

Middle

chad6159

• Cape Coral, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2019, 04:05:42 PM »

2. I would top each branch now

Here’s my three main stems. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Right side

Left side

Middle

I would tip the left and right branches right under the new growth. I would also tip the middle branch really anywhere towards the top. I would do it right under the cluster of leaves at the top.

FMfruitforest

• Tropical Fruit
    • USA, FL,zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2019, 04:17:32 PM »
I always  admend  the soil with compost and organic fertilizer I also highly recommend mixing mycorrhizae with soil before planting.  Good practice to tip the Mango tree at 1’ intervals.

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2019, 04:27:30 PM »
Like Mangokothiyan, I will hold off on tipping at this time and let the new growth harden.  I can then make a good decision on where to tip or prune.
The shape now is decent.  Would have liked a third branch at the first branching, but two works well.

Conventional wisdom is don't amend your backfill soil.
Depending on your soil type, this may not be best advice.  From everything I have read, it is the safest advise.

If you give more details about your soil, I am sure some of the experienced growers on the forum will give specific advise.

Brev Grower

• Will trade mango scions
    • USA , Florida, Brevard county
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2019, 05:35:02 PM »
I would not amend soil with anything. Mango is sensitive to fertilizers or even compost, especially when young. I would not tip also until the tree starts to grow after the shock of planting it in ground. Venus seems to be a good producer in my yard. Will taste for the first time later this season.