Author Topic: Orange Crush Jakfruit  (Read 491 times)

LarryG

• View Profile
Orange Crush Jakfruit
« on: March 26, 2021, 10:54:06 AM »
It was 3 years ago that I first saw a grafted Orange Crush Jakfruit at a Rare Fruit Council plant sale in West Palm Beach. I had never heard of this variety before so I bought a grafted Bangkok Lemon tree instead. After getting home I googled the Orange Crush and viewed a You Tube video from Noris Ledesma that really increased my desire to add the OC to my collection. So when I saw another grafted OC at the October, 2018 Rare Fruit Tree sale I grabbed it. It produced a number of male blooms in 2020 and I had to cut 8' off the top to keep it manageable. It has now produced over 100 male blooms and a half dozen perfectly formed fruit. Photo #1 shows the entire tree, about 15' tall. Photo #2 shows the limbs pulled back to expose the fruit. I am seeking opinions about whether to remove any of the fruit as not to stress the tree (I lost a Black Gold Jak ~20 years ago when I let it hold too many fruit).

BTW, the Palm Beach Rare Fruit Council sale will be held tomorrow, 9am - 2pm at the South Florida Fairgrounds. This will be their first plant sale since 2019 due to the Pandemic.

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
Re: Orange Crush Jakfruit
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2021, 11:04:07 AM »
I think 5 or 6 fruits is safe, assuming they are medium sized (15lbs) or smaller. I prefer to only grow a single fruit per secondary branch if it is less than 4 inches in diameter and if I have the time to remove the fruitlets. A single fruit is often enough to cause a young secondary branch to die back.
Brandon