Author Topic: What's wrong with my pineapple leaves?  (Read 3808 times)

arvind

• Malaysia
    • View Profile
What's wrong with my pineapple leaves?
« on: June 21, 2017, 12:02:07 AM »
Hi there can anyone tell me what is wrong with my pineapple plant? The leaves have brown blotches that looks like its being scorched.Everytime it rains it new one appear and the the older blotches gets bigger.Under the brown blotches which is under the leaves have some kind of white powder.I have removed one pineapple plant before.Can anyone id the disease and how to deal with them? This is a sarawak pineapple a variety developed in malaysia

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: What's wrong with my pineapple leaves?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2017, 08:17:08 AM »
I'm not sure what could have caused that. Do you have snails and slugs in your area? I'm asking because you mentioned you notice them when it rains. Also, are you putting fertilizer in between the leaves? I burned some of my pineapple plants leaves by putting fertilizer directly in the middle of the crown where new leaves emerge, now I keep fertilizer away from the center.

Simon

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2017, 08:38:07 AM »
Looks like a fungus disease to me.  The white powder you're seeing is most likely a spore bloom.  I'd try a systemic copper spray.

Bromeliads feed via the cup, the leaves.  I use a diluted dose of Dyna-Gro Foliage-Pro dumped into the cups with enough to over flow into the soil.  I also scratch in a slow release food into the soil when I upcan them.

arvind

• Malaysia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2017, 09:27:35 AM »
I'm not sure what could have caused that. Do you have snails and slugs in your area? I'm asking because you mentioned you notice them when it rains. Also, are you putting fertilizer in between the leaves? I burned some of my pineapple plants leaves by putting fertilizer directly in the middle of the crown where new leaves emerge, now I keep fertilizer away from the center.

Simon
Yes there are some slugs.I fertilize it by placing the pellets near the root.However I rarely fertilize it

arvind

• Malaysia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2017, 09:30:52 AM »
Looks like a fungus disease to me.  The white powder you're seeing is most likely a spore bloom.  I'd try a systemic copper spray.

Bromeliads feed via the cup, the leaves.  I use a diluted dose of Dyna-Gro Foliage-Pro dumped into the cups with enough to over flow into the soil.  I also scratch in a slow release food into the soil when I upcan them.
I think you are right about fungal disease.I have sprayed it with copper fungicide but it doesn't seem to have an effect.The plant have this issue for about two months now.Wonder if it would survive?

Evildeadguy

• Polk County, FL, Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2017, 10:48:01 AM »
looks to be  fertilizer burn on the leaves. I don't think its fungus pineapple plants on the leaves have a  powder or white dust on them
that helps with protection from insects and other pathogens from sticking to it or infecting it. But to be sure spray them anyways with something like Horticultural Oil works great on pineapple plants and wont harm the plant only spray in the morning or late afternoon when the sun is going down
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 10:50:14 AM by Evildeadguy »
Pineapples i Grow: Natal Queen

arvind

• Malaysia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2017, 08:44:11 PM »
looks to be  fertilizer burn on the leaves. I don't think its fungus pineapple plants on the leaves have a  powder or white dust on them
that helps with protection from insects and other pathogens from sticking to it or infecting it. But to be sure spray them anyways with something like Horticultural Oil works great on pineapple plants and wont harm the plant only spray in the morning or late afternoon when the sun is going down

We dont have horticultural oil here i'm afraid.Would herbal insect repellant be a substitute since i saw it being sold here

Evildeadguy

• Polk County, FL, Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2017, 08:52:13 PM »

We dont have horticultural oil here i'm afraid.Would herbal insect repellant be a substitute since i saw it being sold here

Not sure never heard of it
Pineapples i Grow: Natal Queen