Author Topic: Livestock manures for fertility and disease suppression  (Read 877 times)

Frog Valley Farm

• Messages have been disabled here
    • View Profile
Livestock manures for fertility and disease suppression
« on: January 10, 2019, 07:10:16 AM »
I have been making Biodynamic Compost every month using horse and mule manure and Bokashi Black soldier fly leachate compost and a variety of carbon inputs along with all  biodynamic compost preps. I have come to depend on at least 50lbs. per day from 1 mule and 1 horse.  Recently my my favorite horse has died.  I had her for 29 years it is because of manure, created by horses which has had the most influence my life by motivating my hobbies (gardening) and home selection.  My poor sweet mule was very depressed and somehow dug up his friend he has been heehawing very loudly.  We were going to get him some zebu cow friends but instead opted for 2 wild small pregnant donkeys.  I did some research on mineral content of various manures and was really surprised to find out Donkey manure is superior to all other livestock manures for mineral content and organic matter.  I do not worry about the nitrogen around Mangos from raw manure as I don’t apply too much and most of it is not readily available to the plant.  I also have a thick living orchard floor that suck up any excess nutrients and preventing runoff.  Raw manure can be used this way while the tree is not fruiting.  I have found A quality biodynamicCompost tea mixed with milk is an excellent foliar Spray for leaf diseases especially powdery mildew.  I mix 1 part of quality Biodynamic compost with 5 parts water and stir it a couple of times over a few days then with a cup of warm milk filter and spray.  This also seems to help with the Plants overall health.

Raw manure in combination with living plants is also an excellent way to trigger the cation exchange in soils which will create Stable Organic Matter, change soil structure and increase your soils water holding capacity. We now have sandy loam where it was just compacted white sand 3 years ago.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 09:21:13 AM by Frog Valley Farm »

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
Re: Livestock manures for fertility and disease suppression
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2019, 07:49:18 AM »
With a herd of donkeys on the way there'll be a lot of hee-haw around!

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
Re: Livestock manures for fertility and disease suppression
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2019, 10:10:05 AM »
How cute!  Hopefully he'll be happier now that he has new friends.
Jeff  :-)