Author Topic: need jaboticaba pruning advice (pics)  (Read 6092 times)

lycheeluva

• Brooklyn, NY
  • obsessed with fruit growing, especially lychees
    • View Profile
need jaboticaba pruning advice (pics)
« on: April 15, 2012, 12:37:07 AM »
i bought this jaboticaba 4 years ago as a 7 gallon. Its been in this pot ever since. should i take it out of the put and prune the roots? does the foliage need pruning?

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Re: need jaboticaba pruning advice (pics)
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 06:03:06 PM »
Yikes!  Didn't you see my before and after pics of the topic, pruning jaboticabas, that i posted?

You need to prune up this ball of a bush,  quite heavily in my opinion...but I know others that would never cut the tree.

Open that puppy up, so I can see some old wood, and allowing more light to shine on the caulis.  The plants current/natural shape, not only detracts energy from this organisms larger limbs, where fruits seem to form most abundantly, but also looks less attractive in my opinion, with a dense blockade of foliage, rendering all of the strikingly ornamental peeling bark totally unnoticeable.   I would remove about 40% of branches, but then again I grow in FL, not indoors in NY...you may have to hedge your bets according to different variables and factors that you experience in growing jaboticaba.

After all, you've had fruits on down right tiny branches...  I'd just go ahead and prune it, like I did that Red Jaboticaba, in my previous post.

Please post before and after pics...don't just keep all your experience to yourself, to pass down to your grandchildren...After all, we are the world, we are the children, we are the ones to grow a better plant, so lets start giving. ;) ;D
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 06:08:45 PM by Adam Shafran »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

lycheeluva

• Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 06:54:44 PM »
thanks adam- what about root pruning- do u think i should take it out of the pot and prune the roots? its beenin the same pot for 4 years now.

anyone else want to offer thier words of wisom before I get my pruners out?

TropicalFruitHunters

• USA, Columbus, OH, xxxxx Zone 5b
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 07:49:43 PM »
Very impressive Gerry.  Good looking plant.  Adam is the Jab-God so if I were you, I'd send him a plane ticket to NY and have him come up and direct the pruning!!  Definitely take some more pics...preferrable outside in the light of day.  What the hell?  You a vampire?

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 08:15:29 PM »
Nicely grown tree, for sure.  I have never pruned a jaboticaba.  I have also never grown one on a pot to that size.  Therfore I will offer no opinion on pruning it.  I would definitely defer to Adam.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

lycheeluva

• Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 02:11:44 PM »
thanks for the replies.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 02:19:31 PM »
thanks adam- what about root pruning- do u think i should take it out of the pot and prune the roots? its beenin the same pot for 4 years now.

anyone else want to offer thier words of wisom before I get my pruners out?

I would consider pruning the roots soon. Root pruning is recommended every 1-2 years for container trees from what I read by Al (tapla on GW container forum). http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/contain/msg0401204212994.html
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

lycheeluva

• Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 04:12:26 PM »
thanks- i have a buddy coming over on sunday- will probably take both of us to yank it out of the pot without damaging it- will prune the roots,

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 04:17:36 PM »
honestly lycheelover,

give me a call and I can help more...I really can't keep up with all questions I get...especially by typing...my hands have been hurting very bad lately....not joking either....between lifting pots, and typing (iphone included), my hands have been hurting the worst ever in my life!

But I do want to help you!

It will be very easy for u im sure.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

emegar

• Zone 9b/10a, Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2012, 02:41:17 PM »
Adam,

I have a jabuticaba question, though not a pruning one, for you.  I've never actually tasted one, but have been hooked on the idea of growing them for awhile.  I bought one seedling from a guy locally (Inland Empire of southern California) which is about 8" tall and will probably be a decade before it fruits.  Then I read about a large-fruited variety being grown by a gentleman named Jack Swords on the central coast of California.  I wrote to him and he very generously let me visit his place, where he gave me a seedling he'd grown from his tree.  The fruit apparently grows to the size of a small plum, and is dark skinned. 

First of all, do you have any idea whether this is most likely just a variant of M. cauliflora, or perhaps another species?  Second, the seedling is about 18" tall, perhaps, in a 5 gallon container, and I had been planning to plant it in one of my garden's raised beds under shade cloth until it grows a bit more, but after reading about jabuticabas on the forums here, I'm wondering if I shouldn't just pot it up into a larger container and put it by the side of my house, where it will just get a couple of hours of direct sun.  Mr. Swords' tree is in full sun for a good part of the day, I think, but I'm much further inland in almost desert-like conditions during the summer.  Finally,  I'd love to be able to propagate the plant I received, but I'm wondering if there's any good way to do so, besides waiting years for it to fruit so that I can start some seedlings.  Am I right in recalling that jabuticabas don't air-layer well?  Thanks for any advice you can offer.

James
James

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2012, 03:14:09 PM »
Emegar
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 12:52:10 AM by ASaffron »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2012, 01:19:38 AM »
Adam,

I have a jabuticaba question, though not a pruning one, for you.  I've never actually tasted one, but have been hooked on the idea of growing them for awhile.  I bought one seedling from a guy locally (Inland Empire of southern California) which is about 8" tall and will probably be a decade before it fruits.  Then I read about a large-fruited variety being grown by a gentleman named Jack Swords on the central coast of California.  I wrote to him and he very generously let me visit his place, where he gave me a seedling he'd grown from his tree.  The fruit apparently grows to the size of a small plum, and is dark skinned. 

First of all, do you have any idea whether this is most likely just a variant of M. cauliflora, or perhaps another species?  Second, the seedling is about 18" tall, perhaps, in a 5 gallon container, and I had been planning to plant it in one of my garden's raised beds under shade cloth until it grows a bit more, but after reading about jabuticabas on the forums here, I'm wondering if I shouldn't just pot it up into a larger container and put it by the side of my house, where it will just get a couple of hours of direct sun.  Mr. Swords' tree is in full sun for a good part of the day, I think, but I'm much further inland in almost desert-like conditions during the summer.  Finally,  I'd love to be able to propagate the plant I received, but I'm wondering if there's any good way to do so, besides waiting years for it to fruit so that I can start some seedlings.  Am I right in recalling that jabuticabas don't air-layer well?  Thanks for any advice you can offer.

James

That large jaboticaba of Jack's is probably Paulista. It also has larger leaves than other jaboticabas.
Oscar