Author Topic: Carrie Mango fully flowers and does not produce.  (Read 1505 times)

BPDUKE

• APOLLO BEACH
    • View Profile
Carrie Mango fully flowers and does not produce.
« on: February 17, 2020, 08:20:56 AM »
I want to ask you guys If I have an issue or if I should wait to change this tree out.  Last year I put in a Glenn, a Valencia and a Carrie.  The Glenn and Carrie were around 4 or 5 years old just about 6 foot tall.  Both flowered heavily The Glenn has 82 small mangoes on it while the Carrie produced nothing.  The Valencia is much smaller as I have heard they grow very fast. 

Any thoughts on the Carrie.  Should I give it another year or two?  Am I rushing things?

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
Re: Carrie Mango fully flowers and does not produce.
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2020, 09:02:15 AM »

Carrie produces more male flowers than most varieties. It will not be as productive as Glenn or Valencia Pride, but the flavor is superior. If you are planning on replacing the tree, you should consider Pickering (slow grower and very productive), Honey Kiss (late season, slow grower and very productive), Sweet Tart (productive and excellent flavor) or Edgar (medium growth, productive and excellent flavor.)

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2020, 10:42:45 AM »
The Carrie may flower again and have a better proportion of female/male flowers on the second bloom, but this is a problem that can plague them any year depending on their response to the temperatures they’re experiencing.

BPDUKE

• APOLLO BEACH
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2020, 09:43:43 PM »
MangoKothiyan  Thanks for the tips on the Mango varieties.  I plan to plant two more and perhaps remove the Carrie is she doesnt come along until next year

So Squam your saying conditions might be a factor for the carrie.  I will give the tree another year.  And then if it doesn't produce I will go to the above list.

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2020, 07:42:46 AM »
MangoKothiyan  Thanks for the tips on the Mango varieties.  I plan to plant two more and perhaps remove the Carrie is she doesnt come along until next year

So Squam your saying conditions might be a factor for the carrie.  I will give the tree another year.  And then if it doesn't produce I will go to the above list.

Seconding what Squam said; Carrie flowers a second time and holds more fruit. Flavor-wise, it is a great variety. You might want to give it another couple of years before you give up on it.

BPDUKE

• APOLLO BEACH
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2020, 08:16:25 AM »
Thanks that is very good advice.  I am raising some mangos from seeds I got from Colombia as well they were polyembryonic so I will be able to replicate the mother tree.  The locals in the area come to this tree as they say it has the highest quality mangoes.  And they know Mangoes.  If I get enough started I wil share some.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2020, 11:02:35 AM »
Edgar, while an excellent mango, is very susceptible to MBBS (at least in my yard).
Jeff  :-)

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2020, 11:33:06 AM »
Edgar, while an excellent mango, is very susceptible to MBBS (at least in my yard).

That’s unfortunate to hear but not surprising. Gary Zill said it might be a Zill-80 seedling rather than an Edward/Gary cross.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk