Author Topic: Refractometer  (Read 1009 times)

Mango_Seed

• Zone 10
    • View Profile
Refractometer
« on: August 06, 2019, 07:26:39 PM »
I have never used a refractometer before and was wondering about them. I guess most people on this forum would check the sugar level of a fruit with one.

I have read some people smell mango seedlings before they decide whether to chop them down or not in their breeding program.

(1) Could a refractometer get a useful reading off a mango seedling leaf or sap from a stem?

(2) Can a refractometer be used to identify the clone of a polyembryonic seedling?

(3) What do you do you use a refractometer for?

(4) Why do I need one?

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
Re: Refractometer
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2019, 08:02:34 PM »
The refractometer just measures the sugar
 from the fresh fruit juice.Can be used to measure the sugar content of the tree sap too, but i doubt thats usefull for fruit farmers.

Oncorhynchus

• SW Florida, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2019, 10:56:06 PM »
It’s used to measure how much “stuff” is dissolved in a liquid by measuring how much light “bends” when it passes through the liquid. People here are using them to measure sugar using the unit “brix” but they are also commonly used to measure plasma protein in medicine, the salt content of water, the quality of coolants and a number of other things. You don’t need one and I’m a little suspect that the ones people have are not being used correctly all the time. People here are mostly using them for bragging rights but some people are checking the quality of their fruit year to year to better their horticulture practices. I think the best measure of sugar for most people is their tongue; if it tastes sweet and you like it, then the sugar level is correct.

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2019, 11:38:38 PM »
This refractometers  come with different scales,  if you get one.  make sure it's for measuring in the 0-30 brix  or a bit higher.    some of these meters, have other scales, and are used for beer, and honey, candy making etc.  they do not cost much. 

someday they might have affordable spectrometers where one could scan for all the elements in a sample.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2019, 12:00:42 AM »
Mine is made for saltwater tanks, and is calibrated too low for accurate brix. Have to eyeball it, but wondering if it is accurate on the hi end.

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2019, 01:26:04 AM »
This refractometers  come with different scales,  if you get one.  make sure it's for measuring in the 0-30 brix  or a bit higher.    some of these meters, have other scales, and are used for beer, and honey, candy making etc.  they do not cost much. 

someday they might have affordable spectrometers where one could scan for all the elements in a sample.
Look at this smartphone refractometer.Guys measure the Brix from apples with it without destroying the apple to take somme juice out.The technology is simple and cheap even to diy but comparison charts need to be done and maybe put in a phone application. https://youtu.be/BTN00-6Lh5Q

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk