Author Topic: Questions about Ice Cream Bean  (Read 6055 times)

BonsaiBeast

• San Diego CA, USDA zone 10a, sunset zone 24
    • View Profile
    • BonsaiBeast
Questions about Ice Cream Bean
« on: October 28, 2018, 02:58:16 PM »
- What are the best tasting varieties of Ice Cream Bean?

- I saw there is a dwarf variety called an "inga Vulpina". Does this variety taste as good as other varieties?

- Does anyone have experience trying to maintain the size of ice cream bean? Can seasonal pruning keep it under 20 feet while still fruiting?

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
Re: Questions about Ice Cream Bean
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2018, 04:04:17 PM »
A while back I searched through the history of this board gathering up various people's reviews of Inga species, and the biggest conclusion was that people's opinions differ.  ;)  For example, many found I. edulis the best or one of the best, but Oscar didn't agree. Overall, there was roughly about equal support for the best being I. cinnamomea, I. edulis, I. feuilleei, I. laurina, I. spectabilis, and I. striata. Due to the high level of disagreement, I strongly suspect that progeny is important.  I. vulpina was ranked well but on average not as highly as the others.

One interesting one I never saw any ratings on was I.fastuosa. I know Oscar is/was growing it.

Here's quotes(mostly but not exclusively from this forum) about each one:

I. cinnamomea:
""nice cinnamon taste""
""Pennington calls this one of the best tasting ingas. I have a couple trees but not fruiting yet, but getting close, i hope!"" ""Yes Oscar, this is one of the best flavored Ingas,  may be the best, and probably the one with more flesh to eat. I really like it.""
""Cinnammomea is often rated as one of the better tasting ones. The ones i've had so far on the cinnamomea the pulp clings to the seed. In other ingas the pulp is non cling.""
""My favorite inga is the cinnamomea, pulpy, very sweet, and more damage flies resistant ""
""heavily scented flowers""

I. edulis:
""That is one of the most mislabeled trees I have seen. Every Inga tree is generically slapped with the edulis tag it seems"" [Florida]
""The Inga edulis seems to be a weak grower from me. The Inga vera is a beast."" [Florida]
Rusty's Market (ástralía, kannski Cairns) - ""Inga edulis well over 5 ft and very thick but still young and firm"" ""Oscar's beans look so much smaller""
""Oscar: ""I like spectabilis most just because of mere quantity, they are huge pods with very big chunks around each seed, second would be feuillei, and third would be edulis""
""So which of the three taste the best and sweetest?"" ""Out of the ones I have tasted, Inga edulis is my favorite. The pods are super long and the pulp is very moist and sweet.""
""I've barely had my ice cream bean for a year and it's already over 6 ft.""
""According to Ducke (1949:33) there are two varieties of Inga edulis in existence, parvifolia and typica. The second variety, which is the one described here is the real ""inga-cipo"", with relatively large flowers and very long, thick fruits, which apparently only occur near settlements where it is intensively cultivated. It is one of the most popular fruit trees in the entire region
Fræbelgir: að 100sm. ""Best forms are in S. America"""

I. feiuilleei:
Actually like ice cream, according to Weird Fruit Explorer, though I. edulis said to be somewhat of a better fruit. Vs. I. vulpina: ""Feuillei is more vigorous.""
""Inga feuillei grows like weeds in a large pot for me. My seed-grown trees are less than 1 year in age and are 6+ ft tall.""
Oscar: ""I like spectabilis most just because of mere quantity, they are huge pods with very big chunks around each seed, second would be feuillei, and third would be edulis""
""The largest of the two is around 1.5 years from seed at 7ft. I have them growing in 18"" pots.""
""It has grown more than 2m in a 3l pot, now is in the ground, and more than 3m and branching nicely. It is +- 18 months.""
Fræbelgir: ""long"""

I. laurina:
"""What kind of Inga could this be ? Small , 10 to 12 cm , very juice and great flavor . Huge producer"" ... ""I was really thrilled when I tasted this one , far superior in taste than all the others I have tasted so far ."" ... ""Has been identified as Inga laurina.""

I. paterno:
"""it is tedious and you don't get a lot of flesh for the effort. ""
Cotyledons ""blanched, then salted and used in salads or desserts"""

I. spectabilis:
Not as good according to Weird Fruit Explorer (vs. I. edulis: ""a little dry, a little mealy... maybe a little weaker, and not as sweet... Inferior.  Sorry, Colombia...."")
But according to Oscar: ""I am growing ... edulis, vulpina, gauchil, fastuosa, cinnamomea, feuillei, spectabilis. ... Right now i'm kind of especially fond of spectabilis, mostly because it is very large and has lots of good pulp. ...  I like spectabilis most just because of mere quantity, they are huge pods with very big chunks around each seed, second would be feuillei, and third would be edulis ... taste is really great""
"" 2-3 years old now but I only planted it in the ground about 9 months ago.  It's probably 3.5 feet tall, but it's quite wide -- maybe 5 feet in diameter.""
""Natural tendency of this tree is to form big umbrella shape. Just keep shortening the shoots that go horizontally, and eventually you will get upward growth"" ""Branches from fairly low down""
Fræbelgir: 30-70x8x3sm ""usually containing only scant pulp"" (ha? Svo hvað um I. spectabilis hjá Oscari?)"

I. striata:
Said to possibly be a subspecies of I. edulis, but: ""That is definitely not Inga edulis, nothing like it. It's probably not feuillei either""
Fræbelgir: 18x3sm. ""The flowers of this tree are about the size of apples. The leaves are dark green and at biggest the size of a small mountain papaya.""
Rjómaísbragð, meira vanilla-bragð en E. edulis en ekki eins sætt.
""I personally like this ice cream bean the best out of every ice cream bean I have eaten. The pulp was a lot less fibrous than the common ice cream bean, melting in the mouth like a sugar cube.""
""Early bearing"" þýðir ekki precocious, heldur er uppskerutíminn nóv-feb heldur en mar-júl."

I. vulpina:
"""Feuillei is more vigorous.""
""The Inga vulpina is a lot slower grower (3-4x) than all the other species of inga i have, probably because vulpina is considered dwarf compered to other species.""
""pods are very small compared to other species.""
Fræbelgir: að 6x3sm."

Hmm, I know I had come across some taste reviews of I. vulpina but I must not have recorded them...
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2018, 06:53:48 PM »
- What are the best tasting varieties of Ice Cream Bean?

- I saw there is a dwarf variety called an "inga Vulpina". Does this variety taste as good as other varieties?

- Does anyone have experience trying to maintain the size of ice cream bean? Can seasonal pruning keep it under 20 feet while still fruiting?

I have Inga vulpina, but they have not fruited or even flowered yet. They seem real slow compared to other ingas. Even if they don't taste great i think they would be worth having as the flowers are pink and very decorative. Very unusual as all the other ingas i think are white flowered. Yes the ingas can be kept to a small size by annual pruning. You can cut them way back without hurting the tree. They are often used for coppicing, alley cropping, in permacullture. That is, you prune them way back and run them through a wood chipper/shredder for other plants you want to feed.
Great compilation Karen of past inga posts. My cinnamomea has fruited for a couple years now. They taste good, but i dont like them so much because the pulp clings tenaciously to the seed, unlike other ingas where the pulp slips completely off the seed. The spectabilis tastes great here, not mealy. But i suspect the taste and texture is going to be influenced a lot by climate and other growing conditions for this species and all the others as well.
Oscar

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2018, 03:34:29 PM »
Yeah, I noticed that when compiling data for a lot of species - often you'd find that most people in one region may say that a particular fruit isn't that good, while people from a different region would insist that it's great.  I think people often underestimate the impact of climate not just on whether a plant survives / thrives, but on fruit quality.
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

shpaz

• Florida/Arizona
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2018, 02:37:28 AM »
Wow thanks for the great compilation Karen!

That saved me a lot of time.
A passion for things that grow
https://attar-sa.com/

TerraFrutisEcuador

• Morona-Santiago Province, Ecuador
    • View Profile
    • TerraFrutis.com
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2018, 11:01:18 PM »
Best tasting are cinnamon ones but the machete bean has a lot more volume and can be filling.

I have them around 15 flowering and using as chop n drop.

One time a Ecuadorian worker brang a couple beans and gave me one and it was really good. He said he bought it from someone in macas Ecuador. I have planted a few, it was a thin bean or cinnamon bean. But the fruit was larger width than most any others I’d Seen before and sweeter too. It might have just been recent deforestation or chemical fertilizers. But I hope genetics.

Pademelon1

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2018, 04:01:26 AM »
I have heard that I. mortoniana was the best in Australian growing trials (Both taste and Growth). Does anyone have any more info on this species?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 04:11:38 AM by Pademelon1 »

sanitarium

• Slovakia, zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2018, 11:05:19 AM »
I have i. vuplina, first time flowered this year and also have 4 small fruits growing. I will let you know the taste, however I have not tasted any other inga before.
here are the fruitlets.. Also it is growing in 3l pot and max of around 1m tall

« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 11:07:33 AM by sanitarium »
Daniel

jako9403

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2018, 12:02:26 PM »
I have i. vuplina, first time flowered this year and also have 4 small fruits growing. I will let you know the taste, however I have not tasted any other inga before.
here are the fruitlets.. Also it is growing in 3l pot and max of around 1m tall

How old is this tree?

sanitarium

• Slovakia, zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2018, 12:15:31 PM »
 it is 4 yrs old, but gowring in 6b zone and cold overwintering..
Daniel

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2018, 12:59:42 AM »
it is 4 yrs old, but gowring in 6b zone and cold overwintering..
Have a photo of the flowers? Are they pink?
Oscar

sanitarium

• Slovakia, zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2018, 02:01:08 AM »

sure here you are, i had only one flower stalk...

Daniel

dadloring

• Canada/BC/Victoria/Zone9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2020, 08:43:59 PM »
Any update?

sure here you are, i had only one flower stalk...

wonderfruit

• US, Florida, Fort Lauderdale, 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2020, 10:10:27 PM »
I waited 7 years and no flower not fruit but the tree keeps growing. Last weekend I chopped because was giving shade to the whole backyard.
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Honest Abe

• Biscayne Park, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2020, 05:00:17 PM »
I grew machete ice cream bean in full sun for 1 tear in ground and was 8 ft. Tall. Broke at trunk from high wind gust/tropical storm

FV Fruit Freak

• USA, Southern California, Fountain Valley, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2020, 08:14:35 PM »
How do you know when they’re ready to eat? I have several pods that are starting to get soft but they are not extremely plump. They have started turning yellowish from green. Thanks for any advice.
Nate

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2020, 12:25:25 AM »
How do you know when they’re ready to eat? I have several pods that are starting to get soft but they are not extremely plump. They have started turning yellowish from green. Thanks for any advice.
Once they turn yellowish they are over ripe, and seeds inside will have long roots. It's better to open when fully plump, but not yellow. They don't really get soft until way over ripe.

'
Oscar

FV Fruit Freak

• USA, Southern California, Fountain Valley, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2020, 12:50:02 AM »
Once they turn yellowish they are over ripe, and seeds inside will have long roots. It's better to open when fully plump, but not yellow. They don't really get soft until way over ripe.

'

Thanks Oscar. I was waiting for them to plump up but they never really did, I’m hoping It was because it was the first time the tree set fruit.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2020, 02:40:45 AM by FV Fruit Freak »
Nate

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2020, 05:00:54 PM »
Probably you are right because those are quite small fruits.
Oscar

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk