Author Topic: Red Morning Jackfruit tasted  (Read 7751 times)

bradflorida

• Osprey, FL. Zone 10A.
    • View Profile
Red Morning Jackfruit tasted
« on: July 11, 2017, 09:50:55 PM »
This morning I discovered that one of the fruits on my Red Morning Jackfruit tree had begun to soften.  And it had a deeper sound when I tapped gently with my fingers on the fruit in comparison to the unripe fruits.  At the time, the ripe or was only noticable when I put my nose right up to the fruit.

The fruit was 20 pounds.  The tree was purchased on Rob's recommendation (bsbullie) from Excalibur as a 3 gallon tree approximately 3 years ago.  The tree has been very vigorous, reaching 15 feet tall after 2 or 2.5 years in the ground. 

At dinnertime the aroma filled the house.  The fruit was much softer. 

The bulbs were large.  The flesh was crunchy for a Jackfruit.  Low latex.  The flesh was very sweet and a good amount of acidity...more acidity and sweetness than I had tasted in a Jackfruit previously.  It reminded me of a sweet tart jackfruit candy. 

Delicious fruit.  Highly recommended.

Brad

Brad

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
Re: Red Morning Jackfruit tasted
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2017, 10:16:28 PM »
Thanks for the review.

A little bit of acidity in jackfruit would it put it in my top five fruits.
If that trait is consistent I'd get one for sure.

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2017, 12:20:11 AM »
thank u so much for the info.

Mind if you upload the current state of the tree?

beefyboy

• united states, florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2017, 09:53:07 AM »
Great pics brad, highly impressive. Actually Surprised it is doing so well that far North in Osprey. I am in Pt. Charlotte and have been warned about getting one in the past. I know our weather patterns are far different than in the 90's when I first moved here, for it would surely have died back then for I lost many mango trees due to freezes in 1993-95.  I am going to protect my JF by keeping it close to the home for wind blockage coming from the North and also have some mango trees for wind blockage coming from the other sides.

MANGOJOY

• CORAL SPRINGS
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2017, 11:15:39 AM »
Very good ...was it grafted tree? or from the seed? mine is about the same age have not even seen a male flower yet. Could you post a picture of your tree?

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2017, 12:27:03 PM »
Congrats Brad! Good looking fruit. Definitely one of the better varieties I have eaten.
-Josh

beefyboy

• united states, florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2017, 09:09:06 PM »
Does every person who eats Red Morning Jackfruit notice the higher acid and sweet tart taste of it, or is this only Brad?

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2017, 02:21:52 AM »
Does every person who eats Red Morning Jackfruit notice the higher acid and sweet tart taste of it, or is this only Brad?

Not sure I would say acid but it has a brighter flavor.  To me, a distinct "berry" flavor and not the dominant juicy fruit flavor found in your everyday yellow fleshed jackfruit.
- Rob

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2017, 03:48:54 AM »

Not sure I would say acid but it has a brighter flavor.  To me, a distinct "berry" flavor and not the dominant juicy fruit flavor found in your everyday yellow fleshed jackfruit.

Rob, which in your opinion has the juicy fruit variety flavor (preferably orange or red-fleshed, chewy)?

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2017, 04:20:08 AM »

Rob, which in your opinion has the juicy fruit variety flavor (preferably orange or red-fleshed, chewy)?

Almost any if thebyellownor orange colored flesh jackfruit will have the juicy fruit flavor.  Mai 1 is a good choice with excellent production and low latex.   Mai 3 is a bit better in flavor, more complex, with also low latex but not quite as good of production as Mai 1.  I also recommend J-30 (not J-31) and Bangkok Lemon/Krunchy Lemon  (not to be confused with the inferior Lemon Crunch).
- Rob

beefyboy

• united states, florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2017, 09:53:47 AM »
I was accidentally given seedling jackfruit trees at Excalibur instead of the grafted that I purchased and when I got home realized this (my fault, should have looked closer). I had to go back and get a replacement and they were great about it. I was talking to Richard and he gave me a sample of fruit from his home, which was a gold color, but not Lemon Crunch. To me it had the taste of cantaloupe but a little bland with no acid whatsoever. I read someone else stating on here that if it had more acid, it would be in his top five fruits. I tend to agree, with more acid and I will add, a more intense flavor with slight increase in brix, that would be one amazing fruit. The brighter flavor Rob speaks of in Red Morning sounds like the acid that the others are missing. Acid increases perfectly describe a brighter flavor!  It cracked me up when Richard said the Red jackfruit aren't really red, They are really orange red!  I did not touch that one and left with my one Red Morning tree and an M-4 mango tree. I skipped the Mai 3 I was purchasing since they had no Bankok lemon grafted, and will only have one Jackfruit tree for now. There are a few new ones Richard said are coming out soon enough but it seems the flavors will not really change, mainly color variances which means nothing to me unless flavor intensity picks up as well. It seems Red Morning may be as good as it gets now unless you want a juicy fruit flavor profile or softer flesh.

bradflorida

• Osprey, FL. Zone 10A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2017, 11:27:47 AM »
A better description of the taste might be: candy sweet Jackfruit.

Brad
Brad

beefyboy

• united states, florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2017, 04:19:53 PM »
Candy sweet sounds good too!  A little acid would certainly help but beggars can't be choosers.

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2017, 07:14:31 PM »

Almost any if thebyellownor orange colored flesh jackfruit will have the juicy fruit flavor.  Mai 1 is a good choice with excellent production and low latex.   Mai 3 is a bit better in flavor, more complex, with also low latex but not quite as good of production as Mai 1.  I also recommend J-30 (not J-31) and Bangkok Lemon/Krunchy Lemon  (not to be confused with the inferior Lemon Crunch).

;)

MANGOJOY

• CORAL SPRINGS
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2018, 05:43:28 AM »
Any fruits on your red morning this year?

bradflorida

• Osprey, FL. Zone 10A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2018, 07:08:51 AM »
Flowers just forming so hopefully

Brad
Brad

j-grow

• Merritt Island
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2018, 07:27:33 PM »
I hit Excalibur after zills a couple days ago and bought a grafted Excalibur red ....... is that the same variety as your red morning?

bradflorida

• Osprey, FL. Zone 10A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2018, 07:35:12 PM »
Two different varieties

Excalibur red, red morning, TM red and Cristela are all red fleshed varieties that Excalibur sells.  Not sure if TM red is for sale yet though. 

« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 10:00:08 PM by bradflorida »
Brad

j-grow

• Merritt Island
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2018, 08:23:46 PM »
Ok ty

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2018, 10:01:28 PM »
Cristella is not red fleshed
Brandon

MANGOJOY

• CORAL SPRINGS
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2018, 06:01:29 AM »
My red morning fruited this year for the first time.. Got it from Excalibur hope its going to be the real one.

PurpleAlligator

• USA, Miami, FL, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2018, 07:41:27 AM »
My 2 year old red morning and Excalibur red blew over in Irma. I staked them upright and they seem to be recovering. The Excalibur red gave a male flower this year but I’m probably a year or two away from getting fruit.

bradflorida

• Osprey, FL. Zone 10A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2018, 10:49:51 PM »
Red morning jackfruit season just ended for me.  Picked the first one around October 1st and the last one yesterday.  As the season went on, the flesh became lighter colored and is now a pale orange and much less sweet. Still crunchy and tasty though.

Brad

Brad

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2022, 12:41:02 PM »
Hi Brad,
Does your Red Morning jackfruit have the "consistent juiciness" that Rob described in one of his posts?  Some crunchy-type jackfruits have a soft, juicy meat whereas some have a dry, less-soft meat.  How would you describe your Red Morning?  Also since it is low latex is it easier to clean the pods? 

Does anywhere in Miami have Red Morning jackfruit fruit for sale, or only at Excalibur?

From Rob:

I have tasted Dang Suria/Red Morning, Excalibur Red and Borneo Red.  Whole tastes are very subjective, I am sure those have have tasted all three or any combination thereof, will give differing results.  As for me, I prefer Excalibur Red and Dang Suria over Borneo Red.  Now to be fair, I have only tasted one Borneo Red but the one I did taste lacked the depth of flavor.  I have had a number of Excalibur Reds and Dang Suria and in my opinion, the taste/quality of the fruit can vary from fruit to fruit and year to year.  Both the Ex Red and Dang Suria have a consistent juiciness (whereas I have had a number of jacks that have had decent flavor but a very dry texture).  They both had a complex fruit quality to them, much different than the juicyfruit or tooti fruiti/banana flavor profile.  Again, the Borneo Red lacked the depth to honestly give a good description.  It had a very mild, "red jackfruit" flavor but very one tracked and the flavor dies off very fast.  I will repeast myself, it was only one and just could have been a bad/off fruit.

Noel - If you can get me some "good" Borneo red to try, I will gladly reciprocate.

Oh, and to those who wonder, yes, the fruit IS Red.

Harry - barring a horrible season, I will be bringing you some red jack this season (though you will have to sacrifice a Sunday).

bradflorida

• Osprey, FL. Zone 10A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2022, 10:39:58 PM »
I haven't noticed the flesh to be dry.  It is really delicious.  If you like jackfruit, I can't imagine you not enjoying Red Morning.
Brad