Author Topic: Help with Citrus Tree  (Read 1675 times)

Furms

• Ottawa, Canada
    • View Profile
Help with Citrus Tree
« on: April 12, 2018, 12:16:06 PM »
Hello,

I have this lime tree for two years now.  The first year it produced fruit but has not since then.  I notice that the leaves are spotted, half the leaves fall off,  and flowers bloom but then fall to the floor. I have given it slow release fertilizer and water twice a week. If anyone could offer any advice or assistance as to why this is happening that would be very helpfull?  I have attached photos. 

Thanks in advance! :)

z_willus_d

• US, CA, Roseville, 9B
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Citrus Tree
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 06:02:01 PM »
I'm not an expert, but it looks like the pot you are using might be one of those types of pots that don't drain so well.  Citrus needs a lot of water outside and in the heat (especially during flowering and to hold/grow fruit), but it also hates to be soggy wet.  Is the bottom of the pot draining well, or soggy?  You might be getting pretty root-bound in the pot too, which appears to be quite small for a three year old tree.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 07:55:35 PM »
How long has it been since the tree was put into  the original container and the present medium? Has the tree ever been transplanted?

Furms

• Ottawa, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2018, 09:56:04 AM »
Thanks for the responses.  I bought the tree 3 years ago from a nursery and I planted it into the pot shown. It is still cold here where I live so I cannot put it outside at the present time.  As for drainage, that could be a possibility as it could use better drainage and perhaps a bigger pot for the roots to expand more.  Would that be my only problem?

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2018, 11:47:29 AM »
A tree in the same container for 3 years has got to be root bound,  Plus by this time the medium must have compacted to the point that the drainage sand the air porosity must be greatly reduced.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2018, 10:38:55 AM »
It looks like your tree is buried too deep. Your trunk appears to be buried. The top root of root flare should be at soil level. The large( for container grown in Canada) dark green leaves leads me to believe it is not getting enough sun. Make sure you are not overwatering. Twice a week in cold weather can be too much depending on your soil, humidity and temp. Let the bottom of the soil dry out occasionally. Being on concrete helps the bottom dry out so you have that in your favor.

Simon

lebmung

• Romania, Bucharest,7b (inside city 8a)
    • View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2018, 03:40:10 PM »
The soil looks like it has perlite mixed, that's gives enough porosity. From my experience the spots looks like they were done by bugs, especially spider mites. You need a magnifier too look for them. I you keep the plant inside home where air is dry they thrive.

Vlad

• Worcester, MA USDA zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2018, 09:12:39 PM »
I do not think the spots are do to mites because mites cause very small, numerous spots. It could be edema.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2018, 10:02:53 PM »
The spots are definitely not from mites.