Author Topic: First Choquette Avocado  (Read 1994 times)

bradflorida

• Osprey, FL. Zone 10A.
    • View Profile
First Choquette Avocado
« on: January 05, 2015, 10:41:14 PM »

My Choquette Avocado tree has been in the ground almost 2 years now.  It was purchased as a 15 gallon "Simmonds" avocado tree, and turned out to be mislabeled.  I was happy, since I already had too many things fruiting in mid summer.  Choquette will produce in November through January, filling in an otherwise quiet time of year.  Plus, the fruit are very large and the variety is productive. 

The tree is about 10 feet tall and it set lots of fruit this year, but I only left a few on there, so the energy could be directed toward tree growth. 

I had intended to leave this fruit on a bit longer, but I found that the fruit had dropped to the ground this afternoon on its own.  It is already slightly soft.  Will only be a day or two more before its ready to eat. 

It is about 7.5" long.  I will weigh it tommorow.  My guess is its a bit under 2 pounds.

That's my precious 2 year old daughter, Jade, who was able to hold onto it but not without some difficulty. 

Brad

« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 10:43:21 PM by bradflorida »
Brad

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: First Choquette Avocado
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 11:22:12 PM »
Nice avocado Brad, can't wait for taste results 8)

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2015, 07:52:32 AM »
Amazing fruit ! Love the choquete avocado !
Ed
Zone 10

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2015, 09:54:32 AM »
Large, beautiful fruit.  Tree is tall but not too wide.  Alternate-bearing.  (At least, my friend's tree is.)  Flavor is okay, but not outstanding.  Texture and oil content improve if left on tree. (I like Chooquette.  Not one of my favorites, but I like it.)
John

bradflorida

• Osprey, FL. Zone 10A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2015, 09:40:19 PM »
It was a very nice tasting fruit.  Weighed 46.5 ounces (2.9 lbs).  Was enough for four of us to enjoy with our dinner.  Low to medium oil content, slight nutty flavor and slight sweet flavor.  Smooth and pleasant. 

Brad