Author Topic: Lychee Wind Burn  (Read 972 times)

Oncorhynchus

• SW Florida, 9B
    • View Profile
Lychee Wind Burn
« on: May 12, 2019, 11:36:07 AM »
My yard gets a lot of wind, particularly in the spring and it’s really taking a toll on my trees, particularly my small lychees that were planted as three gallons last spring. I tried putting up wind blocks made of landscaping fabric which didn’t work very well and I’m planning on spraying them with a silica spray, is there anything else I can do to help my trees? Will they stand up to the wind after they have a bit more size on them?

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Lychee Wind Burn
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2019, 04:39:40 PM »
I would heavily much your trees and make sure they get enough good quality water. Once the canopy expands a bit, the outer canopy will begin to give the inner canopy some protection from dessicating winds. You can also consider moving potted bushy plants next to your Lychees for an additional layer of wind protection but make sure the pots are stable and won’t get blown over in the strong winds.

Rain water is great but RO water is also good for Lychees. City water with all the chlorine and or chloramines can be detrimental to young Lychee plants.

Simon

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2019, 08:07:22 PM »
Its really windy here and we have the same problem.  Plus its really low humidity half the year here. Im planting lots of bananas around the lychees and using row cover on fencing to make wind block cages also but they grow out of those pretty quick.  Theres going to be a lot more bananas around each lychee soon.  I think Simon and I have around 10 lychee trees planted here.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 08:20:48 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

Oncorhynchus

• SW Florida, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2019, 01:09:52 PM »
Thank you for your input! The trees are mulched pretty well and watered with either city water or lake water during late winter/early spring until we start getting consistent rain. I’m moving towards all lake water, in part because lugging a couple buckets of water over is a lot faster than waiting for the soaker hose to do it’s thing, but if it helps my trees then all the better! I may try building wind barriers that go all the way around and hope my neighbors don’t get too upset...