Author Topic: Old Citrus, weak roots  (Read 2160 times)

davidgarcia899

• Marabu Groves - Redland, Florida
  • Marabu Groves
    • USA, Miami-Dade, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
Old Citrus, weak roots
« on: October 07, 2014, 07:50:12 PM »
Hey, so i have some citrus trees. Key lime, Meyers Lemon, and Satsuma mandarin. The threes have all been in the grown going on 6 years. But to day when I was picking fruit on my Satsuma I realized that the tree was loose and when I went and touched the the other two it was the same deal.

I honestly don't know if they had been well rooted and are now coming loose or if they have never been well root. The trees don't look insanely happy, but I wasn't particularly worried until I noticed how loose they are.

What could be causing that? And what can I do about it? Since a week root system is never good
- David Antonio Garcia

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Re: Old Citrus, weak roots
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 04:10:33 PM »
As you live in Dade county Florida, and both of your trees now have poor root systems, check your trees for a disease called Citrus Grening. - Millet

davidgarcia899

• Marabu Groves
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2014, 03:55:12 PM »
I don't see any of the signs of greening
- David Antonio Garcia

davidgarcia899

• Marabu Groves
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2014, 03:58:38 PM »
At least i don't think so, they seem to have the standard deficiencies im used to seeing.
- David Antonio Garcia

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2014, 05:17:53 PM »
David, I very firmly and strongly doubt that your Dade county Florida Citrus trees are not already, and have been for some time, infected with Citrus greening. It is true that citrus greening enters the tree via a tiny insect, the Asian citrus psyllid, which sucks on leaf sap and leaves behind bacteria that spreads through the tree.  However, it is known that the bacteria quickly travels to the tree's roots, where the bacteria replicate, causing damage to the root system, then spreads to the rest of the host tree’s canopy. Root systems of infected trees become poorly developed and new root growth is suppressed. The disease starves the tree of nutrients. Most infected trees die within a few years. It was originally thought that the leaves and fruit were affected first, but research found that greening causes a loss of 30 to 50 percent of trees’ fibrous root system before symptoms ever become visible above ground. This early root loss means that the health of a citrus tree is severely compromised before the grower even knows it is infected.  Wishing you the best possible outcome. - Millet
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 05:25:11 PM by Millet »

davidgarcia899

• Marabu Groves
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2014, 11:44:17 PM »
Millet, I don't think they have greening. There is no citrus for miles around me. And I don't know of any other cases of greening in my area. So I have my doubts it's greening.

I have several other trees of the same age that are also perfectly okay
- David Antonio Garcia

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2014, 11:14:07 AM »
David, for your tree and your sake I hope your correct. The best. - Millet

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk