Author Topic: meyer lemons  (Read 3448 times)

mrtexas

• USA, Sugarland,TX 9B
    • View Profile
    • MrTexasCitrus
meyer lemons
« on: January 08, 2015, 11:23:37 PM »
Nice meyer lemons I picked today. Could have picked 1,000 more. No need to grow your own meyer lemon tree with a friend that has one. What to do with them after lemonade? What to do with a whole trees worth of meyer lemons? Why, Morocan preserved lemons of course for your whole neighborhood. Plastic jars and lids recommended due to metal lids rusting. I however have a quart of preserved lemons left over from last year. A little goes a long way. Easy to make and keeps without refrigeration. I however keep them in the refrigerator to preserve freshness. Quarter the lemons, add a tablespoon of salt for each lemon and fill the jar with lemon juice. No need to worry about not having enough lemon juice with this many meyer lemons. Nice for anything requiring lemons and salt also such as home made salad dressing of any sort. You are really only supposed to save the skin but I went ahead and pureed skins, juice, pulp and all. Good for many a nice tagine, er Moroccan Chicken with rice. Would you like a nice tagine? They say this on every cooking show featuring Moroccan restaurants. Yes I would like a nice tagine. Could sell them at the farmer's market for $1 each as I saw someone doing several years ago but that's a lot of lemons for the 50 mile round trip.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 11:25:57 PM by mrtexas »

adriano2

• Croatia
    • View Profile
Re: meyer lemons
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2015, 03:55:22 AM »
This october we picked  over 100 kg on our 2 trees.  I squized most of them into ice cube bags and put it in deep freezer.

RyanL

• Orange County, NC.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2015, 08:39:08 AM »
Got to love the Meyer. Thanks MrTexas

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2015, 02:41:00 PM »
I love making Meyer Lemonade without any sugar. I simply pop a miracle fruit into my mouth to coat my taste receptors then drink the Meyer Lemon juice mixed with water and ice, it will be the sweetest and most delicious lemonade you've ever had and absolutely no sugar added. See the tropical fruit forum on more info about miracle fruit.

I also made Meyer Lemon and Olive oil ice cream last year and it was absolutely fantastic! Recipes can be found online. I much prefer Meyer lemons over Eureka lemons in terms of flavor and they are so productive, as are most citrus.

Simon

swimmingfree

• muskegon mi...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2015, 10:53:58 AM »
got a question for you mrtexas my  meyer lemon (yes one meyer lemon ) is now all yellow ..   how do i tell its ripe dont want to pick it green ?? as well as how long will it hang on the tree and still be good???
thank for your time...
swimmingfree

mrtexas

• USA, Sugarland,TX 9B
    • View Profile
    • MrTexasCitrus
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2015, 10:52:50 PM »
Give it a squeeze. It should be soft.

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2015, 05:21:06 AM »
I had to cut my tree down as it is a magnet for fruit fly here. I had to plant real lemons as the flies won't attack a true lemon, but will happily live off Meyers all winter. 😞 I heard the variegated version doesn't grt attacked though, but it isn't very vigorous or productive. Has anyone tried it?

swimmingfree

• muskegon mi...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2015, 07:31:52 AM »
thank you mrtexas ;D ;D ;D
swimmingfree

Galka

• USA, FL, OCALA, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2015, 08:51:30 AM »
I had to cut my tree down as it is a magnet for fruit fly here. I had to plant real lemons as the flies won't attack a true lemon, but will happily live off Meyers all winter. 😞 I heard the variegated version doesn't grt attacked though, but it isn't very vigorous or productive. Has anyone tried it?
I have one in a pot, if you are talking about Variegated Pink lemon. I can't compare it to Meyer lemon because my died last year (there was always something with it). Pink lemon (it's dwarf I believe) had three lemons last year and a lot this year. Fruiting and blooming non stop. Probably 25-35 lemons in different stages are on it right now. And it's a small tree. Lemons get big when ripen fully. I leave them on the tree as long as I want.  :) Until they get mad and fall off.

adriano2

• Croatia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2015, 05:48:59 AM »

Strange. Fruit flies do not usually attack meyers. Here, they attack only tangerines. Last september flies infected and destroyed whole crop of my 2 tangerines, but they did not touch meyers, which were present in much bigger numbers.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk