Author Topic: banana mango??  (Read 19935 times)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: banana mango??
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2012, 11:01:52 PM »
The best store bought mango I've had was from California.  They were quite ripe when all green.  Large, fiberless, and delicious.  Not sure what they were called...probably something stupid like "green mango".  That was several years ago and have never seen them since.  Shame.

Many of the altulfos lately have been sour and also have had a turpentine odor/flavor.  We stopped buying them.  The other mangos from Mexico are so fibrous, I have to saw thru them and the flavor runs from bland to horrible.  It's hard to believe that companies actually plant these varieties let alone harvest and ship them.

They'll keep planting them just as long as somebody keeps on buying them.
Oscar

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2012, 11:21:41 PM »
The best store bought mango I've had was from California.  They were quite ripe when all green.  Large, fiberless, and delicious.  Not sure what they were called...probably something stupid like "green mango".  That was several years ago and have never seen them since.  Shame.

Many of the altulfos lately have been sour and also have had a turpentine odor/flavor.  We stopped buying them.  The other mangos from Mexico are so fibrous, I have to saw thru them and the flavor runs from bland to horrible.  It's hard to believe that companies actually plant these varieties let alone harvest and ship them.

I had one that was labeled as a Marathon mango a couple years ago. It was a huge mango with a huge fat seed. That one was really good as well but I have tried mangoes since then that were labeled as Marathon that were full of fiber and were tasteless.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2012, 11:44:39 PM »

I had one that was labeled as a Marathon mango a couple years ago. It was a huge mango with a huge fat seed. That one was really good as well but I have tried mangoes since then that were labeled as Marathon that were full of fiber and were tasteless.

I have seen this pic before, probably from the other site.  Funny how that mango LOOKS like it is recovering from a fight (does not have a natural smooth flowing shape like most mangoes).
- Rob

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2012, 12:30:18 AM »
I have seen this pic before, probably from the other site.  Funny how that mango LOOKS like it is recovering from a fight (does not have a natural smooth flowing shape like most mangoes).

It was definitely a little beat up. Not enough fiber to hold up for shipping I guess.

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2012, 02:17:33 AM »

Could it be the California grown Keitt?  They pick & sell them green here, and when in season, $2 per.
Tim

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2012, 02:43:27 AM »
So far as banana mangoes go I have seen the name used on Cedar Bay mangoes (same as rabaul) which does not get to 20 inches long as per BMc link, more like 18 inches long.Sam ru du and any elongate yellow ones have been called banana mangoes her in the past.It is interesting if one type has officially clinched the name.

Central Floridave

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2012, 12:25:43 PM »
I described a 'banana' mango in 1999 from Merritt Island's Mango man.  Photo included:

http://centralfloridapalms.com/fruit/mango/mimangovar.htm

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2012, 12:10:49 AM »
So far as banana mangoes go I have seen the name used on Cedar Bay mangoes (same as rabaul) which does not get to 20 inches long as per BMc link, more like 18 inches long.Sam ru du and any elongate yellow ones have been called banana mangoes her in the past.It is interesting if one type has officially clinched the name.

Mike, there is an official selection, as per:
http://themangofactory.com/mango-articles2/varieties-of-mangos/

In 1981, after evaluating 43 accessions seeking to lengthen the mango season in Queensland, 9 that mature between 2 weeks earlier and 4 weeks later than ‘Kensington Pride’ were chosen for commercial testing. Only one, ‘Banana-1′, was a Queensland selection. The other 8 were introductions from Florida–’Smith’, ‘Palmer’, ‘Haden’, ‘Zill’, ‘Carrie’, ‘Irwin’, ‘Kent’, ‘Keitt’. ‘Kent’ and ‘Haden’ have proved to be highly susceptible to blackspot in Queensland; ‘Keitt’, ‘Smith’, and ‘Zill’ less so; and ‘Palmer’ and ‘Kensington Pride’ resistant.

This is the one that Daley's and Birdwood sell.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2012, 03:07:41 AM »
BMc well there you have it there is at least one or 'banana' cv mangoes.