Author Topic: Dot Blooms smell  (Read 4027 times)

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
Dot Blooms smell
« on: March 16, 2015, 08:48:24 AM »
Anyone else with a Dot flowering mango tree notice its distinct smell? A lil bit of stinky like a wet dog with some hints of canned sweet corn? No wonder its the most laiden with flies in my yard.
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Dot Blooms smell
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2015, 09:16:24 AM »
And perhaps a tasty touch of mildew in the mix?  No wonder Dot is among my favorite fragrances.

jc

• Treasure Coast, Florida, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2015, 09:23:54 AM »
I can't say wet dog, but it's definitely funkier than the others in the yard. Very different than SE asian varieties. I get a lot of fly activity as well. Mine is working on its third bloom of the season. Decent fruitset so far. I give it the most attention due to its susceptibility to anthracnose. 
JC

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2015, 11:10:41 AM »
I can't say wet dog, but it's definitely funkier than the others in the yard. Very different than SE asian varieties. I get a lot of fly activity as well. Mine is working on its third bloom of the season. Decent fruitset so far. I give it the most attention due to its susceptibility to anthracnose.

Also seems to have susceptibility to powdery mildew.
- Rob

jc

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2015, 11:28:54 AM »
Interesting that you say that. I've seen some light PM on most of my trees and very heavily on my neighbor's mature trees. Much more PM this season than the previous two seasons.  I have not observed any PM on the Dot. I'm pleasantly surprised. I might have sprayed it once with sulfur when i saw  PM breakout on the neighbor's trees. Go figure.

Also seems to have susceptibility to powdery mildew.
JC

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2015, 11:53:22 AM »
All of my mango flowers have a cornbread-like smell.
Alexi

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2015, 12:22:31 PM »
You guys are sounding like you are having olfactory hallucinations.  You're starting to rival those wine geeks that get all those smell essences in their wine bouquets. I haven't stuck my nose up to any of my mango blooms as they all generally stink to me.  I am going to do some further sniffing to see if I can discern the kind of smell variation you are detecting.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2015, 12:30:06 PM »
No PM or Anthrac on my blooms as I've been treating the trees prophylactically. So its not the decay/break down causing the smell.
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

jc

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2015, 12:42:22 PM »
Smell a PPK and then smell a Dot. Totally different!  PPK actually has a lemon scent. Of course you probably need a ladder to smell your bloom...

You guys are sounding like you are having olfactory hallucinations.  You're starting to rival those wine geeks that get all those smell essences in their wine bouquets. I haven't stuck my nose up to any of my mango blooms as they all generally stink to me.  I am going to do some further sniffing to see if I can discern the kind of smell variation you are detecting.
JC

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2015, 01:19:46 PM »
Smell a PPK and then smell a Dot. Totally different!  PPK actually has a lemon scent. Of course you probably need a ladder to smell your bloom...

Will do.  Actually have some that will be reachable from ground level without the aid of a ladder.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

fisherking73

• Hollywood (Broward county), Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2015, 01:27:25 PM »
My ppk had a great lemonish aroma with its blooms. My other trees smell like dirt lol

jc

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2015, 02:17:10 PM »
Did a brief walk through the yard and smelled the mango bloom. I think many have similar smells but some stand out as different to me.

Angie, rose scented, strongest aroma, quite pleasant
Dot, musky funk, strong aroma
Southern Blush, similar to Dot with less funk but more sweet floral aroma
Brahm Kai Mea, kind of honey like sweet, light and mild aroma
Maha Chanok, interesting tropical fruit like aroma. ( not like the fruit or leaves but still kind of complex)

VP, Coco Cream, Gary, Mallika,  and Beverly  aromas were not very distinctive, but that  may change as the bloom matures.
JC

MangoMan2

• East Central Brevard County. 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2015, 02:24:41 PM »

Lol. Just To funny.

I myself, love to walk the grove early in the morning before the wind starts and smell the trees in bloom. I'll have to go and smell the Dots.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2015, 02:34:02 PM »
With all this talk of sniffing...blooms, yeah, blooms...I am sure Sheehan will make his presence known very soon.
- Rob

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk