Author Topic: Guava Trees for Central Texas  (Read 3152 times)

vlan1

• Austin, 78748 8b Sunset Zone 30
    • View Profile
Guava Trees for Central Texas
« on: April 23, 2015, 04:41:43 PM »
I know that here in Austin the Pineapple Guava thrives and I plan on purchasing one or two.

However I want at least one other type preferably with Red/Pink Flesh. I have been looking at the Ruby Supreme but have found conflicting reports as to its cold hardiness in the ground.

I know all of these could be container grown but I plan on getting some citrus as well and want to limit the number of pots I have to bring in during the occasional cold snaps.

Any info is greatly appreciated.

raiders36

• San Jose, CA
    • View Profile
Re: Guava Trees for Central Texas
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 06:44:24 PM »
Choose the cultivar you like. Wrap it with frost cloth (they have holes for breathing). Surround the base of the tree with medium/large stones because they absorb heat during the day and give off heat for your tree at night. Ruby Supreme sounds good. That how I baby most of my tropical fruit trees.

nana7b

• North Texas, 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 10:29:25 PM »
Growing in a container may be the best option unless you are willing to put in a bit of effort to protect it well during the really colds spells. It may survive if you don't protect it but may be set back to the point where recovery takes time and flower set may be delayed and it will be cold again before they could ripen. Takes 4-5 months to ripen for me from flower set.

I have been growing a white crunchy guava in a container for about 7 yrs. Stays in my garage for 5 months out of the year. I get ripe fruit in the Sept/Oct time frame. Last year due to the cold spring nothing ripened in time. However several ripened in the garage much later.

I added Ruby Supreme, Indonesian seedless and a large pink guava to my collection last year. I am pushing them right now to flower so I can sample the fruit before it gets cold again.

I also found out this past winter that supplemental light during winter storage in the garage helps keep the guava trees in better shape.

vlan1

• Austin, 78748 8b Sunset Zone 30
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2015, 10:03:00 PM »
Thanks for the info.

Will definitely get some frost cloth once I get the trees