Author Topic: Pulasan culture  (Read 2808 times)

Reafs

• Guadeloupe, French Caribbean Island
    • View Profile
Pulasan culture
« on: August 01, 2015, 02:33:01 PM »
Hi everyone,

I've got two questions regarding Pulasan:

1. Is it a dioecious tree?

2. I want to know if pulasan requires a chilling period like lychee.

Thanks,  ;)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 02:52:37 PM by Reafs »
Yohann

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
Re: Pulasan culture
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2015, 03:37:55 PM »
Pulasan does not need any cool period, it is a tree of the equatorial tropics. 
Some seedlings, not many in my experience, are male and will not produce.  I haven't seen a female or production tree that needed a male tree to set fruit.
Peter

Jake the indian

• A Durian Lover first & a Fruit Farmer next
    • India, Western ghats, Indo-Malaya ecozone
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2015, 07:22:14 AM »
I've been growing over 20 Pulasan trees here in Southwestern India. From what i've observed, Pulasan trees are dioecious that require a male tree for healthy fruit setting. There's fruit set even without the male trees, but there are chances that the fruits can be flat - i.e., not properly developed. Such fruits will have very little flesh with no seeds, and sometimes no flesh at all. So it's better to plant a male tree, say for every 20 or more trees for consistent production of good quality fruits.

And Pulasan is an ultra tropical tree, best suited to equatorial climate, say within the 15nth parallel. It is more shade loving than rambutan.
"For the earnest expectation of the creation eagerly waits for the revealing of the sons of God"

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2015, 07:47:26 AM »
Pulasan including the whopper in my hand thrive between 18 and 19 latitude in my area.The 100g and above specimens I have previously posted grew at 17 latitude and 400m altitude.Bad pollination as Jake says produces those flat poor fruit. I am under the impression that seedlings of sibabat produce male,female and bisex individuals.I have seen at least one isolated tree with good full fruit and just assumed it was a mono.

Reafs

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2015, 02:39:56 PM »
Thanks Guys,

I'm not living in an ultra-tropical island, but hopefully at 16 parrallel North I might be able to grow some pulasan trees. My main concern was truly regarding the Chilling requirement because as a tropical Island the less we can have is 20° in december
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 03:41:29 PM by Reafs »
Yohann

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2015, 05:29:08 PM »
Reafs your temps are ideal for pulasan but they like high rainfall also.

Reafs

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2015, 09:17:24 PM »
Sure Mike, thanks for the advice.
I am pretty happy that my passion for rare tropical fruits is born before I had bought a property,
So Now I can prospect having those requirements in my head.
Yohann

tongmuan

• Thailand
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2023, 09:09:33 AM »
I have two grafted backyard pulasan trees (both bought from the same place unfortunately), that produced for the first time this year and had a lot of fruits, but all were flat and seedless with nothing to eat. So maybe both are pure female trees as none of the maybe 50 fruits were properly pollinated?

We're planning to plant some pulasan in another place, and wiser from this experience going to plant a mixture of seedlings and grafted trees from another source or maybe several sources.

Would it be stupid to graft also the existing female tree to some of the seedlings, and hope that seedlings and other grafted trees will help with pollination, do different cultivars usually flower at the same time?

The seedlings are from large and sweet redder fruits where flesh sticks to the seed, the original female tree flat fruits are darker, it would be nice to have both colors.

Flat fruits:

« Last Edit: November 20, 2023, 09:18:26 AM by tongmuan »

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2023, 09:43:17 AM »
I am familiar with the problem of flat fruits.  Probably if you got a grafted or airlayered production tree that is not a clon of what you already have your problem will be solved.
Peter