Author Topic: Lonkong versus Duku  (Read 3636 times)

Reafs

• Guadeloupe, French Caribbean Island
    • View Profile
Lonkong versus Duku
« on: August 10, 2015, 01:05:26 PM »
What would be the differences between Londong and Duku?

Any expert here to help a bit ?  ;)
Yohann

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Re: Lonkong versus Duku
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 04:27:13 PM »
Duku has fewer and larger fruit in bunches that are not crowded and has more seeds and thicker skin.Trees are broader and less cold tolerant than longkong.Both have sweet fruit.Duku has numerous varieties with medium to very large fruit whereas longkong has more standard sized fruit and less variation in form.Longkong is more productive and the crowed fruit bunches mean some fruit are mishapen and longkong is almost seedless.Longkong are thai and duku are from Malaysia.

Reafs

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2015, 04:50:36 PM »
Thanks, things are definitively clearer now.

Yohann

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2015, 06:02:26 PM »
Something to add to that is, in my experience with langsats, the thicker skinned fruits have a longer shelf life.  Duku resists bruising better and the picked fruit will last longer.
Peter

Tropicaliste

• Washington D.C. Area, US 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2015, 10:34:01 PM »
Dr. Roberto Coronel of University of the Philippines Los Banos, one of the foremost plant men in the country, insists that the Longkong in the Philippines is erroroneously labeled and that it is in fact Duku. He says it in an interview on youtube, stating that it is the perfect combination of sweet and sour.

On the other hand, dizon nursery, a nursery started by the foremost pomologist in the country,  describes their Longkong as very sweet. Very few seeds, and abundantly fruiting. The likes of which fit the longkong.  I only point this out to illustrate the large confusion amongst these varieties. It seems we have a discussion on this fruit once every year, and we never get a consensus.

My suggestion would be to try as many fruits you can get your hands on, and then grow that exact type. This seems to be the only way to ensure you are getting the right advantages you wants. E.g. Sweet, thick skin, no seeds.

Reafs

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2015, 09:12:33 AM »
I do agree with you Tropicaliste on the idea of growing them all to make the differences, however knowing that Lansium domesticum takes a lot of time before fruiting, I won't be able to give you any feedback before 15 years. :(
Yohann

BigIslandGrower

• USA, Hawaii, Puna 700 ft, 12B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2015, 04:43:17 PM »
Mike nailed it.  I prefer Longkong but they're both excellent.  In Malaysia, all I saw growing were the Duku.

RICBITAR

• SAO PAULO - BRASIL
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2015, 07:19:58 PM »
Duku has fewer and larger fruit in bunches that are not crowded and has more seeds and thicker skin.Trees are broader and less cold tolerant than longkong.Both have sweet fruit.Duku has numerous varieties with medium to very large fruit whereas longkong has more standard sized fruit and less variation in form.Longkong is more productive and the crowed fruit bunches mean some fruit are mishapen and longkong is almost seedless.Longkong are thai and duku are from Malaysia.

Mike

I think longkong are faster to grow than duku, is right ?

Thanks

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2015, 09:06:14 PM »
15 years is a long time but I think that an air layer or grafted lansium can produce in 4-5 years.
I have had lansium in production for about 10 years.  Every year the langsat has started production and finished before the duku starts.  Even if I really felt one was superior I would still keep growing them both for that reason alone.
I recently received scion material from a selection that seems more like a longkong.  Interestingly, this material was in production at a time that neither of my other lansiums had ripe fruit.  For me the season extension can be more important than if one variety is a little better than another.
Peter

Tropicaliste

• Washington D.C. Area, US 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2015, 01:06:39 AM »
I'm not suggesting you grow them all, reafs. Lol what I mean is you should go to Asia and try them yourself, and then get those grafted trees to bring back. That way you know what you're about to grow, no matter of the name. Since the names are confusing, you should base your selection on the type of things you want, like production and sour vs. sweet.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2015, 01:18:32 AM »
Grafted and marcotted trees take 6 or 7 years to fruit.There is no real confusion only with a couple of intermediates.Lansone or langsat is paler, soured, has more latex and the tree is more slender and does not produce as well as longkong. This goes for philipine varieties,uteradit from Thailand and all other types. Duku-langsat us a different group from Malaysia but good quality and kokosan is a sour indonesian almost wild type.Longkong,duku and duku-langsat grow at about the same rate.Bitterness of the seeds  an help distinguish varieties to some extent.
Genetically they are complex and are several embedded subspecies.Look for a paper dealing with the genetics of 64 accession in Malaysia.Varieties are named by appearance but genetically a duku may be close to a langsat or longkong than another duku. It is best just to classify them according to appearance as the genetics don't match the physical properties well.

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2015, 11:24:19 PM »
I have 2 remaining lansiums from seeds I planted from Jim West.  One says duku and the other is labeled duku-langsat.  Forgive me if this has been discussed before, but what is the main difference (if any) between duku and duku-langsat (which I believe is different from langsat)?

Also, will these two species/varieties fruit ok with only 1 tree?

Thanks in advance.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2015, 02:28:04 AM »
The name duku-langsat is unfortunate as it blends the names of 2 others in the group for no good reason.Duku have large fruit and thick skin,are very spherical have few in a bunch,almost no latex and often have a single seeded distended locule and other unseeded ones are smaller.They are 3cm to 5cm depending on variety. Duku langsat have thinner skin,are less spherical,more in a bunch,have more upright trees,smaller fruit are are rather longkong like without the crowding in bunches.They also have a little more acid than duku but nothing like langsat.