Author Topic: Viewing pictures on the forum on mobile device is impossible due to pop up ads  (Read 4612 times)

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Very annoying...when I'm using my smartphone and I click a photo to see the full size version, it automatically diverts me to some bullshit link, with games they try to sell me...I believe it's now a commonly encountered problem on some websites, where they have been hijacked by illegal ads...

Am I the only one who experiences this?

Is there a way to combat this?  (I think recognizing and reporting the ads is the first step)

I remember drudge report had the same issue, but they fixed it

This link describes what I'm talking about
http://m.imore.com/regarding-web-ads-redirecting-app-store
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 10:21:57 AM by FlyingFoxFruits »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

pitbull-rus

• View Profile
Yes it is really very disturbing.We need to change the way of uploading photos to the forum.

Don

• Brisbane Australia zone 10b
    • View Profile
Not the only one, I get the bloody things too!

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Last time I removed the post image hosting for the same reason there was an uproar.

I would prefer if everyone used their own image hosting that was free of ads, but most people rather just resort to post image because of the ease of use and integration.

Please note that post image is not affiliated with this forum in any way, and it's just a link we added to allow for easy image posting because most members do not know how to post from their own hosting.

If you look at my posts, such as : http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=18387.0   you will see that I am using post image, but I have the image directly displayed instead of having to be clicked on.

pitbull-rus

• View Profile
So very convenient

Galka

• USA, FL, OCALA, 9A
    • View Profile
I am sick of it too.  >:( It happens on my smart phone and tablet. It covers the picture I am trying to see with the Attention note asking to click Cancel or OK buttons. If I click on cancel it redirects me to some kinda website anyway.  >:(  But I found the way to see the pictures without it when I close the website (with the picture) immediately and open it again ant that pop up whatever doesn't show up. This way helps temporarily but is still annoying.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
I am sick of it too.  >:( It happens on my smart phone and tablet. It covers the picture I am trying to see with the Attention note asking to click Cancel or OK buttons. If I click on cancel it redirects me to some kinda website anyway.  >:(  But I found the way to see the pictures without it when I close the website (with the picture) immediately and open it again ant that pop up whatever doesn't show up. This way helps temporarily but is still annoying.

I get the same 'cancel or ok" but when I click on cancel it goes away and i am able to view the picture.   As long as i am signed into the forum during that visit it does not give me that prompt for any other picture i click on.
- Rob

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Last time I removed the post image hosting for the same reason there was an uproar.

I would prefer if everyone used their own image hosting that was free of ads, but most people rather just resort to post image because of the ease of use and integration.

Please note that post image is not affiliated with this forum in any way, and it's just a link we added to allow for easy image posting because most members do not know how to post from their own hosting.

If you look at my posts, such as : http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=18387.0   you will see that I am using post image, but I have the image directly displayed instead of having to be clicked on.
much appreciated!
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits

much appreciated!

+1
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Bananaizme

• USA , California,Visalia, sunset zone 9
    • View Profile
    Is there a section that explains the steps on how to post pictures with your iPhone ? I'm a total dunce when it comes to posting pictures. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

William

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
I set up a flickr account just for posting on here mostly because every time I would upload a photo it would be sideways no matter how I flipped it. I sure it was my fault but once you figure out the BB code and erase the useless code flickr generates it is quite nice. Again, probably better ways to do it but that is how I ended up doing it.
-Josh

PR-Giants

• PR-Caribbean
    • View Profile

I'm new and don't know all the option on this forum, but I also prefer a full image opposed to clicking on a thumbnail. The other option I like but haven't found yet is limiting the pages to 5 posts.                                         
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 02:01:03 PM by PR-Giants »
"Brazilian. The fruit is subacid and of poor quality; it has little to recommend it as a dessert banana, and its acceptance in Hawaii seems to be a good example of the power of need and habit in influencing the demands of a market." - Norman Simmonds

Galka

• USA, FL, OCALA, 9A
    • View Profile

I get the same 'cancel or ok" but when I click on cancel it goes away and i am able to view the picture.   As long as i am signed into the forum during that visit it does not give me that prompt for any other picture i click on.

I am signed into the forum every time I am reading the forum. It does the same, go figure.  :-\

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
Is there an example image that's doing the ads? I use mobile all the time but don't recall having this problem.

It could be a browser issue maybe. I don't use stock browsers that come with phones.
Use Opera Mini for iOS and Opera Mobile  or Mini for Android.

alexgardens

• USA, St. Petersburg, Florida, Zone 9B (maybe 10A)
    • View Profile
    • NBAtipoff
I agree with fyliu, I use Google Chrome for my iOS device and don't have the same problem. Additionally, there are now some ad blockers available for iOS devices which may alleviate this problem. Not sure if Android has them too. Look into ad blockers though!

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
adblockplus
https://adblockplus.org/android-install
block ads on android

Also for computers adblockplus extension works great w firefox and chrome. Flash is a memory hog so good to block as much flash as possible and just allow what you want

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
AdBlock and AdBlockPlus are taking money from advertisers to let some ads through. But they work well enough.

uBlock Origin is faster and doesn't take money so far. Don't get uBlock though. The names are confusing so you'll use the wrong one.

I heard the new Firefox for mobile supports uBlock Origin. I never tried it since my solution works ok for me. I just live with the 4 photos at the bottom.

The reason I use Opera is it lets you reflow text so I can make the text big without having to scroll horizontally to read the lines. It's actually Chrome underneath, but with that extra feature.