Author Topic: Cashew Leaves deliciously fragrant? Fruit trees with foliage that smells good!  (Read 3487 times)

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Upon entering my greenhouse the other day, i caught a whiff of what I assumed were flowers (maybe a mixture of miracle fruit, jaboticaba, and meiogyne flowers??). The fragrance was delicious!  Reminded me of clean laundry, or maybe a fragrant orchid (rhynchostylis?)

It took me a while to locate the source of the fragrance, but I  was shocked when I realized it was my dwarf cashew!  And it was just the foliage!

The plant only makes the fragrance during the day, but it's really strong!  And pleasant!

Has anyone else noticed their cashew has a delicious odor? Just the leaves? During the day?

Or any other fruit trees  with leaves you love to smell ?
« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 03:02:05 PM by FlyingFoxFruits »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Never noticed it before...I have a tree in ground that is like 8 ft tall and seedlings of cashew and A. humile.  I will try to check on it tomorrow and see if they are all like that...or only some trees
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Ugni leaves smell good -- like the fruit.

Also, in an odd way, Tree Tomato leaves smell good -- like popcorn.

tropicbreeze

• Top End NT Au
    • View Profile
Went out and checked some of mine. Most had no odour. One had a strong odour, a bit pungent and I wouldn't call it pleasant. Two had similar but very faint odours. It has been raining today so maybe in dry weather it might be stronger on all of them, don't know.

gunnar429

• View Profile
Surinam Cherry is one that I enjoy pruning.  Smells great....even liked the smell when I had an aversion to the fruit, which I am slowly overcoming
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
Maybe not your typical sweet nice smell but I find the smell of soursop leaves really good. They can have what I can only describe as a strong green leafy smell :)
Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

gunnar429

• View Profile
Maybe not your typical sweet nice smell but I find the smell of soursop leaves really good. They can have what I can only describe as a strong green leafy smell :)

lol, i think they smell like cat urine...but am getting used to the smell over time
~Jeff

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile

lol, i think they smell like cat urine...but am getting used to the smell over time
Ha ha ha it is a strange smell never made me think of cat urine though!!

A great citrus with fragrant leaf is Citrus hystrix
Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Myrciaria grandifolia has a nice lemony scent ... I always enjoy crushing the leaves and smelling them...

It's fun to compare leaf scent when you crush different Myrciarias...

Also love the annonas, and their pungent leaves...one rare species porcelia macrocarpa has the nicest, but strange and pungent smell...also like to crush pawpaw leaves to smell...

And my favorite thing to smell is all the different annona roots (when repotting  trees) I notice they all have interesting odors that smell like floor cleaner or Lysol ... Custard Apple roots are nice...rollinia roots are nice too (almost like root beer and Lysol )...some of the rare species smell crazy!  Annona dioica, and rollinia emarginata...and anonidium mannii...
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

gunnar429

• View Profile
so you gave up huffing paint and switched to a healthier, more natural way?  ;D
~Jeff

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
so you gave up huffing paint and switched to a healthier, more natural way?  ;D

http://youtu.be/uOB2XOM8Tt8
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
Adam Cashew leaves are the nicest fragrant but unfortunately I found out the hard way they gave me rashes and related to poison ivy I am told.  So I am growing Luc dwarf cashew, hopefully that have less toxity than it giant brother to bother me.

Anyway look like I will not be able to stop up in your hood first of January to visit several esteem forum members like yourself to drop off some goodies.  Pm me with your address so I can send them, wife decide to RV up in the Panhandle so my evil plan of spreading invasive fruit species to Central Florida did not materialize.

Oh well at least fly fishing in Panhandle not so bad while I secretly spread Chewy Sugar Apple and improve Pond Apple around in the National Forest just dont tell anyone.  Future Raccoon will thank me for it and await my sweet return embrace.  Ah retirement with my wife and I cant do crap I want.  Oh well she is my pride and joy what can I say! ;) :'(
The Biggest Fart in the Old West! 68 confirmed killed🔫💀

gunnar429

• View Profile
~Jeff