Author Topic: 3 gallon cogshall mango questions  (Read 6838 times)

1988GD

• coral springs, FL
    • View Profile
3 gallon cogshall mango questions
« on: January 03, 2016, 07:27:17 PM »
I was at lowes and seen these new 3 gallon cogshall mango trees for sale and some of them had flowers so I bought one and I was wondering if it's normal for a 3 gallon mango to flower so young, also when I planted it the tree wasn't even close to be root bound so I know it hasn't been in there long . There is even a few fruits forming.

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
Re: 3 gallon cogshall mango questions
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2016, 09:54:27 PM »
It is. Some of the trees I bought were due to them having flowers in the hopes of getting fruit that season :D.
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2016, 12:55:38 AM »
You dont want tgat tree to hold fruit.  Dont cut anything off at this point as it would most likely try and flower again.  If the fruit get to about eraser head size, strip all the fruit iff the bloom but leave the bloom attached. It will eventually die and in late spring the tree will fkush vegatative.
- Rob

greenman62

• CharlesitaveNB
    • [url=https://vgruk.com/]vgr uk[/url]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2016, 01:15:20 PM »
it may have been a 3gal container
but that bole is pretty thick.

and since im guessing its grafted,
the scion material is what tells it how old the tree is anyway
(correct?)

i have a Florigon in a 7gal container, almost 3yrs (From Seed)
about 6ft tall and 3 times the leaf mass of this plant.
it hasnt flowered yet.

BahamaDan

• BHS, Zone 12b Subtropics
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2016, 01:38:23 PM »
Theoretically the tree could flower at 1/5th of that size, since its probably grafted and as greenman said its the age of the scion that determines maturity for fruiting. Agreed that the fruits this season should eventually be taken off in favor of the plant getting established, but the tree looks great good job.

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2016, 10:25:47 AM »
Great choice of Mango Tree !, I had some Cogshall last year in Naples ^ they where Awesome tasting !..

Enjoy Ed..
Zone 10

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2016, 01:53:56 PM »
Cogshall is an excellent mango. In my experience, it should be picked on the green side and ripened indoors in order to avoid internal breakdown issues.

I class mango trees into 2 types: precocious and not. The precocious types (julie being most emblematic of this group) can render flowers at just a few inches tall and may even try to bring a fruit to maturity a mere year after being grafted. They will also tend to flower from seed in a mere 4 to 5 years. The latter group can take 5 or more years (in the absence of environmental stressors, such as cold or being pot bound) to begin production. Seedings of this group can take 8 to 10 years to flower. Examples of this group include Lemon Zest, Okrung, and some of the nam doc mai clones (not #4).

Cogshall is definitely on the precocious end of the spectrum.

Enjoy your tree. Cogshall is a great choice.
Jeff  :-)

knlim000

• redwood city,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2016, 04:29:31 PM »
You dont want tgat tree to hold fruit.  Dont cut anything off at this point as it would most likely try and flower again.  If the fruit get to about eraser head size, strip all the fruit iff the bloom but leave the bloom attached. It will eventually die and in late spring the tree will fkush vegatative.

rob, the flowers on mine  didnt even have any fruits forming, but the rats keep nibbling the flowers off.

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2016, 11:18:16 AM »
"Posted by: Cookie Monster
« on: March 13, 2016, 01:53:56 PM » Insert Quote
Cogshall is an excellent mango. In my experience, it should be picked on the green side and ripened indoors in order to avoid internal breakdown issues."

Jeff, how can I tell when to pick these Cogshall so I can pick them mature green and ripen them indoors, might save them from the critters if I can do this...Thanks!!

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2016, 11:29:43 AM »
I need to ask my wife. She's the one with the eye for ready-to-pick-ness :-). It looks close to me.

Cogshall is an excellent mango. In my experience, it should be picked on the green side and ripened indoors in order to avoid internal breakdown issues."

Jeff, how can I tell when to pick these Cogshall so I can pick them mature green and ripen them indoors, might save them from the critters if I can do this...Thanks!!

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2016, 12:26:06 PM »
Grafted tree less than 1 year old holding fruit, fruit was eventually removed. The tree is about 12 inches tall. I would not recommend allowing young trees to hold fruit as it will delay growth.

Simon

GrassFlats

• Sanford Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2016, 04:22:56 PM »
I have had bad luck with Cogshall.....The two trees that i have had have had gummosis and dieback....Im suspecting a bacterial disease....Anyone had any similar problems?  The trees were in containers

StPeteMango

• Florida/St. Petersburg/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2016, 11:17:54 PM »
I need to ask my wife. She's the one with the eye for ready-to-pick-ness :-). It looks close to me.

Hmm, the fruit on my Cogshall have more of a blush than these. I'd better get them off the tree, then.
puglvr1, nice tree, even nicer looking mangoes! How do you keep the weeds away? I have several inches of mulch around my trees, but they don't deter the grass from growing on top. End up using the trimmer on the mulch, and hand-weed closer to the trunks.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2016, 12:43:57 AM »
My wife says not ready yet. I'll let you know when she starts picking ours :-)

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2016, 08:28:49 AM »
I have had bad luck with Cogshall.....The two trees that i have had have had gummosis and dieback....Im suspecting a bacterial disease....Anyone had any similar problems?  The trees were in containers

Yes, I've experienced similar problems but feel they could have been brought on by environmental stress. This is the slowest growing variety of mango I've seen.
- Marley

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2016, 08:36:45 AM »
Thanks StPete, this tree is planted underneath a couple of large Oaks...I do have to pull the weeds by hand when they grow close to the tree but once the weeds are growing outside the drip-line I spray with a solution of salt, white vinegar and a few drops of salt...its an non toxic  "round up" version I found on a website. I'm always cutting off or yanking Oak seedlings...I hate those!!

Appreciate that Jeff...I'll wait till you pick yours, Thanks!!

Grassflats, I've had issues with Cogshall for the last two years too...my other Cogshall had some type of Fungus that
caused most of the flowers to die...turned brown...and the few from last year that matured all had severe anthracnose and Jelly seed  :'(...this year I only have about 8 on my other tree. This tree that's planted under the Oaks did much better this year...I have about 40+
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 08:40:00 AM by puglvr1 »

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2016, 09:55:02 PM »
I've started picking my cogshall -- cherry picking the bigger ones. Cogshall ripened indoors are fantastically delicious. When ripened indoors, the flavor is slightly more condensed and zero internal breakdown :-).

To me, cogshall have somewhat of a apple flavor to them.

Carbo

• Brown Thumb in 10b, SE Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2016, 09:27:09 AM »
Based on your advice, Jeff, I've been picking my Cogshalls for the past week, 3 to 4 daily.  They are just the way I like them at this stage:  slightly firm and tart with a citrus flavor.  No mushy mangoes for this guy.  When I see the purple shoulders turn to pink and the green side shows the slightest bit of yellow, that sucker is plucked.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 09:29:38 AM by Carbo »

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2016, 01:24:25 PM »
Cogshall tart?  Sounds underripe to me but to each their own.
- Rob

Carbo

• Brown Thumb in 10b, SE Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2016, 01:47:02 PM »
Rob, with the Cogshalls I have found that they go from firm to mushy in a blink.  I prefer them firmer and, yeah, probably a bit underripe for most tastes.  Plus, it keeps me one step ahead of the squirrels.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2016, 01:58:40 PM »
Yah, if ripened the way I like them, they have a perfect balance of sweet + tart, but with some complexity of flavor in the form of an apple taste (similar to a bailey's marvel) and a nice level of flavor intensity. I pick before they even start to yellow.

It's really one of my favorite mangoes. Terrifically delicious. Just needs to be picked early to achieve full flavor.

StPeteMango

• Florida/St. Petersburg/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2016, 01:00:29 PM »
Cogshall's done for this season. This lot of mangoes has ripened and will go out to neighbors and co-workers, some others still in the garage to enjoy later. 62 total (edible ones) this year.

And the haircut after the harvest (tree planted as a 3 gallon in 2013).