Author Topic: Lots of canistel fruit at Excalibur  (Read 4404 times)

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
Lots of canistel fruit at Excalibur
« on: January 09, 2016, 01:23:47 PM »

My luck cause I was debating whether or not on getting a tree after 1) not ever tasting the fruit- and  2) asking known mango lovers around if they liked the fruit to which some said they didn't care for it. Met Murahilin there and I got to taste a 9681 (I believe) that was in the fridge. It was delicious. I tasted mamey sapote in it and the sweetness was noticeable among the creaminess/starchiness. I'm sure the temperature played a role. "Hell Yeah!!!" Delicious. I was sold. I bought a couple of fruits including a tree.
They also had some big sapodilla and black sapote fruit for sale.
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
Re: Lots of canistel fruit at Excalibur
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2016, 03:11:16 PM »
Lets just say canistel is nutrient dense butterscotch pudding. It is hard for me to eat more than one. A neighbors tree is really rooted in after seven years and seems to have fruit budding, developing year around. Bruce variety best I can tell. He had some ripe ones three weeks ago and must have some today.

Canistel is not a juicy fruit. It is a sweet pudding inside which seems to be winter-ripe available. Other seasons too. I have cansistel variety Fairchild #2 planted...courtesy of Bender's Grove
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 03:14:13 PM by zands »

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2016, 03:19:10 PM »

My luck cause I was debating whether or not on getting a tree after 1) not ever tasting the fruit- and  2) asking known mango lovers around if they liked the fruit to which some said they didn't care for it. Met Murahilin there and I got to taste a 9681 (I believe) that was in the fridge. It was delicious. I tasted mamey sapote in it and the sweetness was noticeable among the creaminess/starchiness. I'm sure the temperature played a role. "Hell Yeah!!!" Delicious. I was sold. I bought a couple of fruits including a tree.

I see some Aurea canistel in those pictures as well.
- Rob

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2016, 06:51:23 PM »
I love canistel!  It was one of the toppings offered by the redlands rare fruit and veg council on top of vanilla ice cream.  They had canistel, mamey, sapodilla, jackfruit, coconut, black sapote, dragonfruit all on top of a scoop of ice cream for $3  ;D
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2016, 07:29:07 PM »
I love canistel!  It was one of the toppings offered by the redlands rare fruit and veg council on top of vanilla ice cream.  They had canistel, mamey, sapodilla, jackfruit, coconut, black sapote, dragonfruit all on top of a scoop of ice cream for $3  ;D

I'd take mamey in a heartbeat.   If the sapodilla was a good sap, that would be quite tasty with nilla ice cream.
- Rob

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2016, 07:31:58 PM »

I'd take mamey in a heartbeat.   If the sapodilla was a good sap, that would be quite tasty with nilla ice cream.

I much prefer canistel to mamey...to each his own!
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2016, 09:20:28 PM »

I love canistel ice cream. I buy Gaby's Creme de Canistel from Whole Foods. http://gabysfarm.com/3.0/products/prod_IC_creme_de_canistel.php

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2016, 09:22:41 PM »

Great seeing you at Excalibur today. Hope your trees do well.

I made a canistel pie two weeks ago from canistel fruit I bought at Excalibur. While I don't enjoy eating the fruit by itself, I really enjoy canistel milk shakes, pies, and ice cream.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2016, 10:31:51 PM »

I love canistel ice cream. I buy Gaby's Creme de Canistel from Whole Foods. http://gabysfarm.com/3.0/products/prod_IC_creme_de_canistel.php

Hmmm...maybe I should make some canistel ice cream or gelato.   Need to find a good recipe.
- Rob

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2016, 08:25:39 AM »
Zands description:

"Lets just say canistel is nutrient dense butterscotch pudding"

Is likely at least one reason canistel is not a widely loved fruit. I tell people it has the consistency of pumpkin pie and that it is not juicy and many won't even go for the initial taste.

Regards,

Gary

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2016, 10:08:56 AM »
Zands description:

"Lets just say canistel is nutrient dense butterscotch pudding"

Is likely at least one reason canistel is not a widely loved fruit. I tell people it has the consistency of pumpkin pie and that it is not juicy and many won't even go for the initial taste.

Really good pumpkin pie is close enough to an accurate canistel description. Also consider chocolate + canistel

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2016, 12:02:38 PM »
I despise butterscotch flavor and don't care much for pumpkin pie...yet I love canistel! 
~Jeff

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2016, 12:16:46 PM »
I despise butterscotch flavor and don't care much for pumpkin pie...yet I love canistel!

I dont find pumpkin or butterscotch flavors in canistel.   Those flavors i more associate with mamey.  I would say almost a mild sweet potato flavor is more like the flavor of a canistel.
- Rob

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2016, 02:52:44 PM »

I dont find pumpkin or butterscotch flavors in canistel.   Those flavors i more associate with mamey.  I would say almost a mild sweet potato flavor is more like the flavor of a canistel.

agreed.  mamey is one that I never fully appreciate...even as a milkshake.  I do like sweet potatoes and canistel so that description works for me
~Jeff

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2016, 06:26:18 PM »
I much prefer mamey over canistel- buy allot. I've been enjoying them some more and on its own it very viscous and dry to enjoy. I enjoy mamey on their own. It definitely has some delicious applications in shakes with lots o' honey :D. I'm not sure yet if I want to plant in ground LOL.

I forgot to add, they smell a lil stinky/funky as they counter ripen :).
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 06:28:41 PM by TnTrobbie »
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

Pan Dulce

• Central Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2016, 09:08:28 PM »
Those Aurea canistels are pretty good. Thanks for letting me try one when I picked up those Chrysophyllum auratum, Sheehan.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk