Author Topic: Multi-rootstock avocados?  (Read 13271 times)

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Multi-rootstock avocados?
« on: February 16, 2016, 12:05:05 AM »
There's been a lot of great discussion about multi-rootstock trees in other threads, but I haven't seen much discussion of multi-rootstocking of avocados.

My motivation for multi-rootstocking avocados is mostly to produce a stronger tree that can withstand greater drought (at least I'm hoping that's the case).  My secondary motivation is that it might produce a more precocious and dwarf tree, but I don't know if it'll have that effect.

I've tried it a couple of times (last year) by approach grafting two Avocado seedlings (one Mexicola seedling and one Zutano seedling) together and then grafting on the top of the main one.  One one graft of this sort took, but after some time both the rootstocks showed some sort of incompatibility where there was a constricted band below the approach-graft union, almost as if I had tied some tape around each of them too tightly.  Eventually the tree died.  I haven't tried Simon's single cleft on two rootstocks approach (which has worked for me as well with Mangos).

Has anyone tried it, and what method was successful?  Did it matter what rootstocks were used?

DimplesLee

• frustrated permie
    • PHL&AUS
    • View Profile
Re: Multi-rootstock avocados?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2016, 12:14:37 AM »
I have no actual experience doing a multi-rootstock Cado but if I remember correctly one of the lectures I attended mentioned a Mexican rootstock to Mexican scion is good, Guatemalan RS to Guatemalan S, West Indian RS to West Indian S, and that Guatemalan x Mexican hybrid rootstock could go either way if you are going to be using GxM scions or Guatemalan or Mexican scions only but that is all what I remember of the theory.

Actual experience from the other TFF members would be more helpful for your case.
Diggin in dirt and shifting compost - gardeners crossfit regime :)

barath

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2016, 12:21:36 AM »
I think most Avocados grown commercially in California are Guatemalan x Mexican (e.g. Hass) or straight Guatemalan (e.g. Reed) grafted on Mexican rootstock (e.g. Duke 7, Dusa, Toro Canyon).  I've had pretty good luck using any rootstock with any scion, though I haven't tried any West Indian types.

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2016, 12:28:52 AM »
I think most Avocados grown commercially in California are Guatemalan x Mexican (e.g. Hass) or straight Guatemalan (e.g. Reed) grafted on Mexican rootstock (e.g. Duke 7, Dusa, Toro Canyon).  I've had pretty good luck using any rootstock with any scion, though I haven't tried any West Indian types.

I thought the established groves were mostly on Zutano?
Shane

barath

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2016, 12:33:26 AM »

I thought the established groves were mostly on Zutano?

No idea.  I know that many nurseries use Zutano, and that's what I've been using.  I got the sense from talking to a few San Diego nurseries that clonal rootstocks are more common now, but no idea.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2016, 01:43:05 AM »
I am very comfortable using West Indian race as rootstock here in Socal I've had great results. The rootstock is vigorous and is just resistance to phytophthora as clonal rootstock

socal10b

• El Monte, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2016, 01:58:58 AM »
I got great results with triple rootstocks on my multigrafted tree.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2016, 10:13:17 AM »
I would add at least one rootstock that is resistant to phytopthera. I think multiple rootstock Avos are a great idea, it may help with alternate bearing for varieties prone to it. Please keep us updated. I would love to see some pictures. I love multiple rootstock trees!

Simon

barath

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2016, 10:35:21 AM »

Interesting!  I'd be very interested to hear what grafting technique you used and what rootstocks you used.  Would you be able to share any pictures?

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2016, 12:21:21 PM »
LaVerne doesn't use global rootstock. They're grafted onto seed sprouts. Not sure what kind of seed.

barath

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2016, 12:26:22 PM »
LaVerne doesn't use global rootstock. They're grafted onto seed sprouts. Not sure what kind of seed.

Yeah -- I heard it was Zutano, but I'm not sure.  I can see why Zutano is generally popular -- it produces good thick stems for grafting, is vigorous (sometimes too vigorous), and germinates consistently.

I got the sense that the nurseries that sell to big box stores use seedling rootstock whereas the ones that sell to commercial orchards (more often) use clonal rootstock.  Here in Northern California the clonal roostocks haven't worked out that well (Ellen from Epicenter Nursery tried them out a couple of years ago but from what I heard they didn't do that well).

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2016, 01:25:34 PM »
I got the sense that the nurseries that sell to big box stores use seedling rootstock whereas the ones that sell to commercial orchards (more often) use clonal rootstock. 

That sounds about right.

See commercial grower Brokaw Nursery;
http://brokawnursery.com/rootstock.html

« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 01:27:22 PM by ricshaw »

Samu

• North Tustin, So. California, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2016, 06:29:55 PM »
I am currently happen to be experimenting some sort of double rootstock grafting on avocado, primarily encouraged by what the benefits that I read elsewhere and here; also Simon's successes have been encouraging to me.

I did try the same method Simon used, once on mango, but graft didn't take and died for reason unknown to me. (I think it's because of my sloppy wrap.)
So, a couple weeks ago, I tried a little different method on avocado, (running out of mango rootstocks)  I spliced both sides on the scion to meet 2 slices of the 2 rootstocks. 

Don't know if anyone ever tried this method, but I thought doing this way will give me a better change of the graft to take (double sided contacts), but wrapping those 3 branches together is not as easy as doing a regular cleft graft...I found out!
So, I am still waiting the result of this, I'll let you know the outcome in a few...(weeks?)...knock on wood!  :D

Sam

kingoceanos

• U.S.A. Texas,Conroe 77303 8B
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2016, 12:33:21 PM »
So far I've only done cleft grafts. I tried hass seedlings and the local Mexican avocado seedlings,(not Mexicola). They never worked out for assorted reasons, admittedly some of it was me, (bad eyes and hands aren't as steady as they used to be ::). What has worked out the best for me strangely enough is the seeds from the Slimcadoes sold at my local grocery store when in season. Personally I only like them in salads but for grafting they are large seeds with a lot of energy and have worked out very well for me. Just out of curiosity has anyone tried the Mexicola and would you recommend it as part of your collection?
Thanks

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2016, 11:20:24 AM »
Sam, did your graft take?

Barath, I re read your objective and to increase drought tolerance, I would suggest planting seeds directly where you want your avocado tree and then grafting the seedling when it is large enough. A fully intact taproot may be beneficial in drought. I would actually plant multiple seeds of different Avocado varieties trying to include varieties that may be resistant to Phytopthera. If you get a couple seedlings close to each other, try a double rootstock graft. An in situ grafted avocado with two fully intact taproots may be a good option to increase drought tolerance.

Simon

barath

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2016, 11:52:33 AM »

Barath, I re read your objective and to increase drought tolerance, I would suggest planting seeds directly where you want your avocado tree and then grafting the seedling when it is large enough. A fully intact taproot may be beneficial in drought. I would actually plant multiple seeds of different Avocado varieties trying to include varieties that may be resistant to Phytopthera. If you get a couple seedlings close to each other, try a double rootstock graft. An in situ grafted avocado with two fully intact taproots may be a good option to increase drought tolerance.

Simon

Hi Simon,

I have been direct seeding a bunch of Zutano and Bacon seeds recently for a public fruit tree planting, though I don't know if they will grow close enough together to be easily double rootstock graftable.  I am hoping that they germinate well here -- we don't have quite as much warmth during the spring as you do, so I'm hoping that the warm weather coming up this week combined with the rain we've gotten will get them sprouting and give them a chance to sink deep taproots.

socal10b

• El Monte, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2016, 03:08:01 PM »

Interesting!  I'd be very interested to hear what grafting technique you used and what rootstocks you used.  Would you be able to share any pictures?

Sorry for the delay, i will post pics later, triple rootstocks make everything grow faster. I planted fuerte seedlings right next to my sharwil and graft them to the trunk,and i top worked my sharwil last year with Carmen, sir prize and lamb. My triple rootstock tree is ready to hold fruits.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2016, 05:35:21 PM »
So you did in-arching to attach the new rootstocks? I have an avocado that's been chilling at less than 5 ft for the last 3 years.

Samu

• North Tustin, So. California, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2016, 06:19:58 PM »

Simon

Hi Simon,
I've been checking it for the last 3 weeks or so, didn't see any leafs coming out ...from eye level standing up. Now that you asked, I lifted the pot and observed closely...it looks like the buds are swelling up now, the top one top looks like already breaking the parafilm! Don't know why this graft took longer than my other regular avocado graft to take..., probably it's due to my sloppy wrapping again... :D

In a couple of weeks or so, I plan to plant this thing in the ground -provided the graft is still alive- before the tap roots encircles the pot; and hopefully it will grow to a stronger and more productive tree!

Again, thanks for this avocado direct seed planting/double rootstocking grafting idea I learned from your postings!

Sam

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2016, 06:52:03 PM »
So you did in-arching to attach the new rootstocks? I have an avocado that's been chilling at less than 5 ft for the last 3 years.

Hey Fang, if your avocado is not growing fast enough, try this:

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=12844.0

Thanks Sam but I got the idea from the video I saw. I'm glad more people are testing out multiple rootstocks. I can't wait to see the data in the coming years!

Simon

socal10b

• El Monte, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2016, 09:21:01 PM »

yes fang, that's exactly what i did to my weak sharwil rootstock. I think u have a very weak rootstock if your tree isn't doing anything after 3 years. Fang, what variety is it?

Triple rootstocks close up

after i added 2 more rootstocks, my tree was being to take off.

sharwil bloomed, and didn't set any fruits.

Decided to top worked it last year

Carmen and lamb are blooming and hope to get some fruits

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2016, 10:12:08 PM »
I got the sense that the nurseries that sell to big box stores use seedling rootstock whereas the ones that sell to commercial orchards (more often) use clonal rootstock. 

That sounds about right.

See commercial grower Brokaw Nursery;
http://brokawnursery.com/rootstock.html

This is very interesting. I haven't tried to air layer avocados before but I am guessing it doesn't work if they go through all this trouble to produce rootstock. This is also beneficial because it removes that gnarly taproot from potted plants.

-Josh

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2016, 01:26:33 PM »
Anyone have updates on their multiple rootstock Avocados?

Socal10b, how is your triple rootstock Cado doing?

Simon

socal10b

• El Monte, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2016, 02:06:06 PM »
Anyone have updates on their multiple rootstock Avocados?

Socal10b, how is your triple rootstock Cado doing?

Simon

Out of control lol. Carmen hass is blooming again. I will post a pic later when I get home.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 02:48:21 PM by socal10b »

socal10b

• El Monte, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2016, 02:51:00 PM »
This is how my triple rootstocks avocado tree looks like now

blooming again

Fruits from Jan blooms