Author Topic: Some fruits in Vancouver markets.  (Read 7555 times)

NewGen

• Zone 10a, Central Valley, CA, USA
    • View Profile
Some fruits in Vancouver markets.
« on: July 07, 2012, 02:13:46 PM »
Long Kong, from Thailand: $8 a pound, very good quality.
Durian, from Thailand: $8 a pound. I was tempted to buy 1, but my wallet didn't agree, the price is ridiculous. Way cheaper in SoCal. The fruits look excellent, though.
Wax jambu (red and large), not sure of origin: 3 fruits for $4
A. squamosa, larges size I've seen in person: about $10 EACH!!
Dragon fruits, from Vietnam: $3 a pound.
Ataulfo mangos: $1 each, one of my least favorite mango, so didn't  buy any.
Fuyu persimmons from New Zealand: $5 a pound, wow.
Lemons, look like Eureka, from the US, probably from CA: $1 each, I wish I get those prices for mine.  ;D I could be rich quick.
Haas avocadoes: $2 each.
Lychees from China: $1.69 a pound. Very bland. I was also concerned about whatever they sprayed on the fruits in China.
Rambutans from Thailand: $4 a pound, very good taste.
Sapodillas: $7 a pound, no thanks.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
Re: Some fruits in Vancouver markets.
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 02:23:01 PM »
Hi Newgen,

The Vancouver makets look so rich with exotics 8) I wonder what do people say when they walk passed a fresh Durians ??? I reckon they have this expression on their face  :o  ;D ;D ;D

Thanks for sharing :)
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 02:34:13 PM »
Hope you enjoyed the trip up north...
something's wrong with the 3rd picture... are you sure they're from Thailand?  ;D ;D ;D
Those sugar apples look more like atemoyas to me as well?
Tim

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2012, 04:30:18 PM »
Newgen. that is a good selection alright but I think the vendor should be wearing a balaclava.Fuyu is the most common crisp seedless persimmon in NZ/Aust that originates in Japan.The rambutan looks like rongrien to me and is a good variety.The longkong also look like a good cv and if there a high degree of seedlessness ie 50% of so then they definately are.The sugar is in the lessard style with large fruit and reduced seed numbers.They are not as sweet as most sugar apples and the more knobbly large greens are preferred in thailand.The trees look just like sugar apples but I also suspect a feather of custard apple or cherimoya DNA in them.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 05:01:49 PM »
Was visiting British Columbia few summers ago and found a fantastic market on what I think they called Vancouver Island.  It was Canada Day and the crowds were impressive.  The market was even more impressive.  Found an incredible variety of excellent quality Asian fruits.  Was this were these pictures were taken?

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2012, 05:48:09 PM »
The reason for better variety, and usually much better prices in Canada than USA, is they have almost no agricultural restricitons. They're not too worried about fruit flies setting up house there, unlike Southern California, where everything has to be irradiated or treated otherwise to insure they are 99.8% fruit fly free.
Oscar

NewGen

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2012, 02:13:45 AM »
Hope you enjoyed the trip up north...
something's wrong with the 3rd picture... are you sure they're from Thailand?  ;D ;D ;D
Those sugar apples look more like atemoyas to me as well?

Yeah, you caught it. I guess Thailand variety, grown in Mexico.  :)

NewGen

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2012, 02:15:43 AM »
Was visiting British Columbia few summers ago and found a fantastic market on what I think they called Vancouver Island.  It was Canada Day and the crowds were impressive.  The market was even more impressive.  Found an incredible variety of excellent quality Asian fruits.  Was this were these pictures were taken?

Harry

These were from a Osaka supermarket, in the suburb of Richmond, not in Vancouver.

NewGen

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2012, 02:17:26 AM »
Newgen. that is a good selection alright but I think the vendor should be wearing a balaclava.Fuyu is the most common crisp seedless persimmon in NZ/Aust that originates in Japan.The rambutan looks like rongrien to me and is a good variety.The longkong also look like a good cv and if there a high degree of seedlessness ie 50% of so then they definately are.The sugar is in the lessard style with large fruit and reduced seed numbers.They are not as sweet as most sugar apples and the more knobbly large greens are preferred in thailand.The trees look just like sugar apples but I also suspect a feather of custard apple or cherimoya DNA in them.

The Long Kong have very little seeds, and sweet pulp, I even chewed up most of the seeds, not THAT bitter.

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2012, 11:01:38 AM »
Wow, nice finds there Newgen!  The durian was fresh, so think seeds, it might have been worth the price?

enjoy and have a safe trip,
-Ethan

NewGen

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2012, 09:06:20 PM »
The reason for better variety, and usually much better prices in Canada than USA, is they have almost no agricultural restricitons. They're not too worried about fruit flies setting up house there, unlike Southern California, where everything has to be irradiated or treated otherwise to insure they are 99.8% fruit fly free.

When I got to Vancouver airport, Canadian customs asks if I had any fruits, I said yes, I brought a bunch of sweet plums from my backyard, but didn't have time to eat them on the plane. So instead of dumping them, the  4 of us (wife and 2 kids) stood there by the trash bin, eating them one by one, while the customs people watched.  ;D

NewGen

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2012, 09:07:14 PM »
Wow, nice finds there Newgen!  The durian was fresh, so think seeds, it might have been worth the price?

enjoy and have a safe trip,
-Ethan

I should've. Too bad I didn't.  :blank:

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2012, 09:38:57 PM »
I had the opportunity of visiting the Vancouver fruit market, last year. Great place for fruitholics!  Lots of good stuff from Thailand!  I ate my share of rambutans, lychees, and longans.....yummy!  Vancouver, nice city!  Good memories!  Next stop, Alaska, one the prettiest place on Earth!

Xeno

• Ventura CA Zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2012, 10:57:02 PM »
Lemons, look like Eureka, from the US, probably from CA: $1 each, I wish I get those prices for mine.  ;D I could be rich quick.
Haas avocadoes: $2 each.

Cheese and rice! $1 for one lemon?!? Over here it's like $0.19. Looks like I need to plant some more lemon trees and sell my lemons to Canada! And those wax jambo prices.... faints

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk