Author Topic: Valencia vs. Page Orange (mandarin) for fresh juice - which is better?  (Read 3637 times)

nighthawk0911@yahoo.com

• Blue lives matter.
    • SW Florida Zone 9B
    • View Profile
I have been growing Valencia's for years for fresh juice, but have also heard the Page Orange (mandarin) is excellent for juice as well.  I have never had the chance to taste a Page.  Question:  Does the Page surpass Valencia head to head in a fresh squeezed juice taste test as a dooryard tree?

Thanks!!
Blessed be the man who plants a tree knowing he will never live to enjoy it's fruit or shade.

mrtexas

• USA, Sugarland,TX 9B
    • View Profile
    • MrTexasCitrus
Re: Valencia vs. Page Orange (mandarin) for fresh juice - which is better?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2016, 08:58:15 PM »
Page is one of the best tasting orange like citrus fruit. It is earlier than valencia.
I like them both.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2016, 08:34:48 AM »
What a person likes is very subjective, but many people think Page is the best tasting of them all.  - Millet

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2016, 08:28:27 AM »
All good choices but it's hard to beat Orlando tangelo for not only top fruit quality but cold hardiness.  The abundant juice is nectar of the gods.

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2018, 03:27:08 PM »
I would think Minneola tangelo would be better for juice than Page, since that is where Page gets most of its flavor from (one of its parents).

I think Minneola has better flavor than Orlando tangelo, but Orlando is said to be slightly cold-hardier.

Since I love Valencia juice, I can't make any comments about which one would be "better", they would just be different.
(standard commercial orange juice is usually made from Valencia, and for very good reason)

I've long thought about trying to attempt a hybrid between Valencia and Duncan grapefruit (one of the parent's of Minneola tangelo, and so ultimately an ancestor of Page mandarin). I bet that would have supreme juicing flavor.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 03:33:26 PM by SoCal2warm »

brettay

• View Profile
    • My Little Piece of Marin
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2018, 10:34:51 PM »
It's hard to generalize about this.  Do you prefer a juice that is more like an orange or more like a mandarin?  It also depends upon how they preform in your environment.  Page mandarins in my northern CA environment are truly amazing and, in terms of flavor, completely destroy both Valencia and Minneola.

-Brett

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2018, 12:27:05 PM »
Valencia, I've read, requires a warm hot climate for good flavor.
Don't get me wrong, a good Valencia has the best flavor of any orange, but several growers in cooler climates have stated that their Navels taste better (maybe just sweeter?). I personally would still try to grow Valencias (maybe just stubbornness on my part).

Also some citrus varieties take longer before the fruits start developing good flavor. You can't really judge the flavor of a variety from how the fruits taste in the first few years.

And of course fruits grown yourself, just picked from the tree, always taste better.

Page, to me, has a tartness greater than Minneola tangelo, so probably good for juicing. (But that doesn't mean it's not plenty sweet). I can definitely pick up on some of the Duncan grapefruit flavor, just as I can in Minneola. The fragrance of Page though really reminds me of pine needles (not at all in a bad way).
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 12:39:25 PM by SoCal2warm »

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2018, 09:53:42 PM »
Neither.

Robinson tangerines makes the best juice. 

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2018, 08:22:53 AM »
Hard to beat Orlando tangelo for just about anything.

I'm getting sticks of Olinda Valencia next week.

mrtexas

• USA, Sugarland,TX 9B
    • View Profile
    • MrTexasCitrus
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2018, 11:40:10 PM »

I've got midnight valencia. It is OTW.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2018, 05:54:28 PM »
All of the varieties mentioned show a lot of phenotypic plasticity in fruit characteristics and maybe it is best to compare the quality of juice of each for specific areas where they are grown. Cold climate Valencia juice and minneolas generally are a little more acid than is ideal for my palate but valencias grown in the tropics make great juice. Page is pretty good with good colour also. honey murcott in my country are grown 2500km poleward of me but in my area they express more to their orange parentage and are great for juice. The tenacity of the skin and fusion of segments makes them less desirable out of hand but the juice is deep orange and richly flavoured.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2018, 08:32:51 AM »

I've got midnight valencia. It is OTW.

Just grafted Olinda valencia to a few trees.  Aggie wood was in excellent condition Phil.