Author Topic: Can I air layer this month?  (Read 2146 times)

dragon

• San Diego
    • View Profile
Can I air layer this month?
« on: October 01, 2016, 10:24:58 AM »
Hi all,

I have a list of trees to air layer: star Apple , Chinese and Indian jujube, longan, wax jambu, Chico, Barbados cherry, star gooseberry, soursop.

Is it ok to do airlayer during fall- winter month?
Any advice to sucessfuly airlayer Chico, star Apple since they have white sap?

I am just a newbee first time doing air layering, so I am very thankful to all advices.

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
Re: Can I air layer this month?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2016, 09:47:10 AM »
I did some longan and wax jambu airlayers yesterday but I am in a different climate. The most you have to lose is a branch. I say go for it.
-Josh

marklee

• Chula Vista, California Zone 24 or 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2016, 10:07:37 PM »
It is ok to air layer any time of the year in San Diego. I doubt you will have success with Chico, or Star Apple here. you will do fine with Longan, Wax Jambu, Acerola and Jujube. It would be better just to graft the Soursop.

Good luck.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2016, 01:34:23 PM »
Yeah, I wouldn't airlayer annonas. The seeds grow so fast. I do have a successful airlayer of atemoya for a friend. He really wanted to have his tree airlayed instead of just pruning off the part that's too tall.

Jujube will work but may take up to a year since it defoliates in the winter.it will put out roots after leaf growth next year. You'll get a bumper crop on that branch and won't want to cut it off and lose all that fruit. So you'll end up cutting it after the harvest in a year.

dragon

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2017, 12:50:12 AM »
I checked all my airlayers, and non has roots. I am so dissapoited. The wounds seemed to heal up. I peeled off the hard white stuff and wrapped up again. Does it work or I need to choose different spot to make another rootball?

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2017, 04:00:38 AM »
You took off the callus tissue? The new roots should grow out of that. As long as the two sides of the bark don't bridge, it should be okay. It's okay to wrap it up and wait a few more months. Jujube took a year to root for me, just for your reference. Lychee and longan 5 months if you do it in the cool season.

It'd be better to post a few photos to show what they look like so others can guess at what's happened.

dragon

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2017, 04:00:09 PM »
You took off the callus tissue? The new roots should grow out of that. As long as the two sides of the bark don't bridge, it should be okay. It's okay to wrap it up and wait a few more months. Jujube took a year to root for me, just for your reference. Lychee and longan 5 months if you do it in the cool season.

It'd be better to post a few photos to show what they look like so others can guess at what's happened.

Oops , my bad :). I did not take pic since I don't know how to post it .

TREESNMORE

• USA Palm City FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2017, 09:30:02 PM »
I am air layering now . It is warming up and lychee will take about 2 months. So will longans. I still have macadamia nut to do and mulberry.
Mike

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk