Author Topic: Big Jim loquat  (Read 1471 times)

dragon

• San Diego
    • View Profile
Big Jim loquat
« on: October 25, 2016, 11:31:16 PM »
Hi,
Does anybody know what month big Jim loquats flower? And how long does it take a seedling to bear fruit?

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Big Jim loquat
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2016, 02:07:26 AM »
Loquats flower starting right now for me in LA, maybe a few weeks later in SD. It takes 3-4 years from seed to get to flowering size.
Seeds don't grow true to type but are similar to the parent.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2016, 10:12:59 AM »
My big Jim's started flowering 2-3 weeks ago and small fruits are starting to set now. It seems to vary from year to year depending on the weather and this year seems to be quite early.

Simon

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2016, 11:15:41 AM »
As Fang & Simon have said loquat flowering seems to vary with climate conditions and there right, I've been growing loquat's for 30+ years, use to be that they would flower about now and ripen in Feb. Not any more with climate change I now have fruit on trees until August some year's.But they still do bear and bear heavily. I'm trying now loquat grafted onto quince rootstock it's supposed to dwarf trees if that works that's the way I will be changing all my tree's too. Tired of having to top prune my loguat's every 3-4years. but with all that said they are beautiful tree's an prolific bearing tree's with Big Jim as one of the best orange meated varieties.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk