Author Topic: Air laying a guava tree?  (Read 3005 times)

khoi1976

• Pinellas Park FL
    • View Profile
Air laying a guava tree?
« on: January 12, 2017, 05:59:37 PM »
Will this work . I strip the bark off down to hard wood and brush some root hormone . Add dry soil inside a bottle.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Air laying a guava tree?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2017, 06:40:52 PM »
Sure. That's a lot of soil for it. I usually use a couple fist fulls of perlite and moist peat. Guava is so vigorous it might grow roots even when it's dry. Just keep it in the dark so the roots don't stop when it reaches light.
Apply the hormone to the wound at the upper end. The woody part doesn't matter.

khoi1976

• Pinellas Park FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 07:04:33 PM »
Sure. That's a lot of soil for it. I usually use a couple fist fulls of perlite and moist peat. Guava is so vigorous it might grow roots even when it's dry. Just keep it in the dark so the roots don't stop when it reaches light.
Apply the hormone to the wound at the upper end. The woody part doesn't matter.

Thank You  should I make the soil moist?

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2017, 07:10:12 PM »
It depends. If the soil has a lot of clay, getting it wet could suffocate the roots by squeezing out the air. I've always did it my way so I'm not sure how to do it other ways. I do know guava grows roots very fast and strong. No need to even bag the airlayer after to reduce transpiration like with lychee.

khoi1976

• Pinellas Park FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2017, 07:20:06 PM »
It depends. If the soil has a lot of clay, getting it wet could suffocate the roots by squeezing out the air. I've always did it my way so I'm not sure how to do it other ways. I do know guava grows roots very fast and strong. No need to even bag the airlayer after to reduce transpiration like with lychee.

Can you show me your way of doing it.

Thanks

Bhkkatemoya

• San diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2017, 01:15:07 AM »
Khoi,

I usually do it like this guy. Do it in the summer so it roots faster.

https://youtu.be/Qa43Bn8L3hU

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2017, 02:42:53 AM »
Khoi,

That guy's pretty fast with his special wrapper that holds its shape and moisture at the same time. Long fiber sphagnum moss is the best material to use.

For me I mix 50/50 perlite and peat from home depot or similar. Or get the already mixed bag but it's more costly for the volume.
Add water and squeeze out as much as I can. Put a fistful into my plastic bag. I use the air bags that come with products I order online. Cut diagonally one side so that when I wrap it around the branch along the cut, I can fit one half with the medium into the other half that's just empty.

Tie a knot with twine around the lower end of the bag to the middle of the woody part and wrap the twine around the bag and branch while distributing the medium around the branch. Make sure to close the top end of the bag with a couple loops around the branch. Tie it off when you run out of twine. I use 2 arm lengths of twine and try to get the best seal I can so it doesn't dry out too fast.

Put aluminum foil around the plastic to block out light. Try to get it tight so ants don't go in and nest there. Check every so often after 2 months for roots. Cut it off when it's half full of roots. You can get away with a little less roots with guava.

I can take photos later if you want. I still need to do some citrus and camellia. They do take much longer in cooler weather. I'll have aluminum balls on my trees.

khoi1976

• Pinellas Park FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2017, 06:26:25 AM »
Khoi,

That guy's pretty fast with his special wrapper that holds its shape and moisture at the same time. Long fiber sphagnum moss is the best material to use.

For me I mix 50/50 perlite and peat from home depot or similar. Or get the already mixed bag but it's more costly for the volume.
Add water and squeeze out as much as I can. Put a fistful into my plastic bag. I use the air bags that come with products I order online. Cut diagonally one side so that when I wrap it around the branch along the cut, I can fit one half with the medium into the other half that's just empty.

Tie a knot with twine around the lower end of the bag to the middle of the woody part and wrap the twine around the bag and branch while distributing the medium around the branch. Make sure to close the top end of the bag with a couple loops around the branch. Tie it off when you run out of twine. I use 2 arm lengths of twine and try to get the best seal I can so it doesn't dry out too fast.

Put aluminum foil around the plastic to block out light. Try to get it tight so ants don't go in and nest there. Check every so often after 2 months for roots. Cut it off when it's half full of roots. You can get away with a little less roots with guava.

I can take photos later if you want. I still need to do some citrus and camellia. They do take much longer in cooler weather. I'll have aluminum balls on my trees.

Thank You

khoi1976

• Pinellas Park FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2017, 06:26:47 AM »
Khoi,

Thank You

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2017, 09:23:00 PM »
Here's a couple pomegranates I did last week. Need to cover with foil when I have time.

khoi1976

• Pinellas Park FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2017, 09:24:51 PM »
Here's a couple pomegranates I did last week. Need to cover with foil when I have time.

Thank you , I just redid them again today with peat moss , instead of dry dirt . Just like the way you did yours.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk