Author Topic: Gevuina Avellana ( Chilean Hazelnut)  (Read 2531 times)

Fabio

• Croatia, Istra USDA 8b/9a
    • View Profile
Gevuina Avellana ( Chilean Hazelnut)
« on: February 26, 2017, 03:14:06 PM »
Hello, does anyone coltivate Gevuina Avellana? I read that the fruits have similar taste of Macadamia but the tree is more cold hardier than Macadamia. The fruits when are ripe becomes black. The tree is native to Chile and is cold hardy about -12 C .  The flowers are bisexual and they are flowering in december. The tree can grow up to 20m.

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile

Fabio

• Croatia, Istra USDA 8b/9a
    • View Profile
Re: Gevuina Avellana ( Chilean Hazelnut)
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2017, 04:17:32 PM »
Can set fruits If I plant only 1 tree? Here is a nursery that sells the tree http://www.achat-vente-palmiers.com/en/trees-and-shrubs/1867-gevuina-avellana.html#.WLNEutKE3Q0

polux

• Slovakia, Nitra, 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2017, 05:13:30 PM »
5 y ago I have small plants in pot but no one survive. They are difficult for growing in containers, may be we have hot summers here. Some plants from Proteaceae family need specific soil composition. With Macadamia I have no problems.

druss

• australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2017, 08:34:03 AM »
These dont like alot of summer heat, they tend to stress.

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2019, 05:20:18 PM »
In my opinion Gevuina tastes a lot better than any Macadamia i ate.Gevuina its much sweeter and has a coconut like taste.Because they are sweet,they tend to become brown after cooking and they look non apetising compared to the white macadamia kernels.Gevuina likes shade,moist and most important of all ,they need an acidic soil because in acid soil the phosphorus becomes non available.Like most Protea they dont like phosphorus.