Author Topic: Container Growing Dwarf Mango's  (Read 31405 times)

FlMikey

• Florida
    • View Profile
Re: Container Growing Dwarf Mango's
« Reply #50 on: April 03, 2017, 06:55:19 PM »
Thanks for the reply guys.  I know bsbullie recommended Fafard 3 mix(http://www.sungro.com/professional-products?brandID=2&catID=1&productID=185), Fafard Nursery Mix (http://www.sungro.com/professional-products?brandID=2&catID=1&productID=189), or Fafard 52 (http://www.sungro.com/professional-products?brandID=2&catID=1&productID=187), but I wonder if those are superior to the Fafard Professional Potting Mix (http://fafard.com/products/?id=166)?

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 03, 2017, 07:40:14 PM »
Thanks for the reply guys.  I know bsbullie recommended Fafard 3 mix(http://www.sungro.com/professional-products?brandID=2&catID=1&productID=185), Fafard Nursery Mix (http://www.sungro.com/professional-products?brandID=2&catID=1&productID=189), or Fafard 52 (http://www.sungro.com/professional-products?brandID=2&catID=1&productID=187), but I wonder if those are superior to the Fafard Professional Potting Mix (http://fafard.com/products/?id=166)?

That is not the commercial product.  Dont be fooled by a name on the package.  The options I posted are commercial and far superior products.
- Rob

FlMikey

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 03, 2017, 08:24:43 PM »
Thanks BsBullie.  It looks a little harder than I expected to find those Fafard soils down here in South Fl.  I think I can probably get ProMix much easier.  Is Pro Mix BX Mycorrhizae a good one (http://www.pthorticulture.com/en/products/pro-mix-bx-mycorrhizae/), or Pro-Mix HPCC Mycorrhizae (http://www.pthorticulture.com/en/products/pro-mix-hpcc-mycorrhizae/) or are there any others from ProMix I should try to source?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 09:02:23 PM by FlMikey »

FlMikey

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 05, 2017, 08:30:24 PM »
I think I'm going to go with the Pro Mix HP Mycorrhizae (http://www.pthorticulture.com/en/products/pro-mix-hp-mycorrhizae/#tab:product-specification).  My only concern is it has 65% - 75% Sphagnum Peat Moss - is that too high?  Also is Mycorrhizae really beneficial?  It sounds good, but idk if it's marketing hype.  From their site,"Mycorrhizae - GHA297 Technology is a Biological Growth Enhancer that increases the yield of flower, fruit and vegetable plants by extending the root system to acquire the most of available nutrients in the soil. Mycorrhizae also improve resistance to root diseases and stresses."

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 05, 2017, 08:57:05 PM »
I have been growing the following mango trees in containers since the end of 2015:
1. Sweet Tart is growing in a 25 gal. container and is now setting fruit.
2. Coconut Cream is growing in a 45 gal. container which I pugged in July 2016.
3. Mallika is growing in a 25 gal. container is blooming presently.
4. Fruit Punch is growing in a 7 gal. container and is going to be stepped up to a 15 gal. this week.
5. Mahachanok is growing in a 45 gal. container is blooming and setting fruit presently.
6. Pickering is growing in a 25 gal. container is blooming and setting fruit presently.

The last four varieties are Honey Kiss, Cotton Candy, Kathy, and Phoenix are all growing in 3 gal containers.

Wow, you've been doing a great job with those container mango as they look really good.  Thanks for posting!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 08:27:21 AM by FruitFreak »
- Marley

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 06, 2017, 09:29:13 AM »
Wow, you've been doing a great job with those container mango as they look really good.  Thanks for posting!

The dedication and success these container growers like this fella has is amazing.  Kudos!  There are many Texas growers that fruit every kind of exotics fruit you can imagine and are grafting "fools".  For example we have a lady in our FB page that has been doing this for decades.  Root prunes occasionally too.  Hauls hundreds of pots into a greenhouse every winter.

bigalxx15

• USA, Florida, Cooper City, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 06, 2017, 04:57:35 PM »
Thank you guys for the encouraging words. I am also growing Rollinia in a 45 gallon container, a Lisa Atemoya in a 45 gallon container, Gefner and Dream in 25 gallon containers, two Abiu's in 15 gallon containers, and various other Annonas, Citrus, White Sapote, Guavas, Ilamas, Figs, Custard Apples, and Mulberries. The Lisa, Gefner, Dream, and two Sugar Apples are all multi-grafted with 3 to 4 different varieties of Atemoyas and Cherimoyas.

FlMikey

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 06, 2017, 07:11:54 PM »
Bigal - your tree's look great, and I saw your other post mentioning BWI in Homestead for Fafard.  I'll be picking up some Fafard 3 from them next week.  Are you mixing anything else into it (fertilizer?), or just planting your trees straight into it?

bigalxx15

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 07, 2017, 01:59:04 PM »
FlMikey- I am using the Fafard 3B mix with a handful of Azomite and some worm castings.

FlMikey

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 12, 2017, 07:41:54 PM »
I have room for 1 more compact tree to grow in a container.  I was thinking about Kesar.  Is this a good tree for container growing?

bigalxx15

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 12, 2017, 09:36:50 PM »
FlMikey,
My Mahachanok was one of my favorite tasting mangoes last season. I think it's a great container mango, it  has good disease resistance and is a good producer. I would definitely recommend Mahachanok besides it's a nice looking mango.

FlMikey

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 12, 2017, 09:49:07 PM »
Hey BigAl,

I was thinking about Mahachanok too.  Was it in the 45 gallon when it was fruiting?  How many did you get?

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 12, 2017, 10:10:05 PM »
I hear that 'Jumbo Kesar' is a more compact tree than the regular 'Kesar.'
Har

FlMikey

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 13, 2017, 06:19:34 AM »
That'd be great if the jumbo kesar was more compact.  I was watching a video last night of a farm full of kesars and jumbo kesars in the dominican republic, and the jumbo fruit size is really quite nice.

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 13, 2017, 09:50:51 AM »

Kesar is a fairly vigorous tree, much more vigorous than Mahachanok, Cogshall and the like. 

bigalxx15

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 13, 2017, 04:03:45 PM »
FlMikey,

I believe I got about 25 to 30 Mahachanok mangoes last year. It was in the 45 gallon container
at the time. After I harvest the fruit this year, I will be repotting the Mahachanok into a 65 gallon
container.

FlMikey

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 13, 2017, 07:03:43 PM »
It's settled - will go for the Maha.  I think that's a pretty good haul for the Maha BigAl.  How old is your tree?

As a side note, I have a Honey Kiss and Pina Colada in 3 gallons, and am going to be transplanting to larger containers this weekend.  Is it too fast if I move them from a 3 gallon to 15 gallon container?  I will be using Fafard 3 as the medium.  I know it's usually recommended to go 3 -> 7 -> 15 ->25 etc, but wondering would I risk root rot going from 3 -> 15?

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 13, 2017, 08:19:42 PM »
OK, took you guys advice as well and picked up my go to nursery's last Mahachanok. Also got a Cotton Candy that I have been hunting for. If you are in Orlando area, Green Jungle still has CCs.

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 13, 2017, 11:22:23 PM »
Yes, 3-gallon mangos into 15-gallon is standard procedure in nurseries.
Har

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 14, 2017, 12:21:49 AM »
It's settled - will go for the Maha.  I think that's a pretty good haul for the Maha BigAl.  How old is your tree?

As a side note, I have a Honey Kiss and Pina Colada in 3 gallons, and am going to be transplanting to larger containers this weekend.  Is it too fast if I move them from a 3 gallon to 15 gallon container?  I will be using Fafard 3 as the medium.  I know it's usually recommended to go 3 -> 7 -> 15 ->25 etc, but wondering would I risk root rot going from 3 -> 15?

You should be fine from 3 to a 15 if the roots of the 3 are well developed  (not rootbound  but developed).  If the Honey Kiss is a new, small 3 gal, make sure the roots sre ready so the rootball doesn't fall apart when transplanting.
- Rob

FlMikey

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 14, 2017, 04:33:03 AM »
Thanks guys!  I have a 7 gal Pickering and wanted to get a 7 gallon maha tomorrow.  I was initially going to move those to a 15 gallon.  Could those go to a 25 or is that too much?

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 14, 2017, 09:10:32 AM »
To those growing in containers I recommend a system that terminates the root tip which induces a very fibrous efficient root system in a pot half the normal size.  That system can be either a air/light system like the Rootmaker products or copper hydroxide paints like MicroKote.

FlMikey

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 14, 2017, 09:23:43 AM »
Thanks for the reminder Mark.  I've got the Microkote ready :)  I'll be using black standard gro pro nursery containers.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 14, 2017, 09:29:33 AM »
Thanks for the reminder Mark.  I've got the Microkote ready :)  I'll be using black standard gro pro nursery containers.

Good luck with that.  Here's a home brew you can make.  http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=3239.0

I've got a huge, bottomless RootBuilder pot ready for a newly grafted cherimoya.

FlMikey

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 14, 2017, 11:18:06 AM »
Thanks Mark.  I may try that homebrew next time.  I think I want to try the 7 -> 25, unless its a really bad idea.  But if I can go 3 -> 15, it makes proportional sense to me I can go 7 -> 25.   

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk