Author Topic: Curry Leaf Tree (Murraya Koenigi)  (Read 6163 times)

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Curry Leaf Tree (Murraya Koenigi)
« on: March 31, 2017, 03:39:39 PM »
A staple of Indian food, and a notoriously slow grower, this is a hard one to get a hold of, especially in FL where there are very strict restrictions about bringing it in from out of state.

I had one, but it was shipped bare root, and did not transplant well. It is such a terribly slow grower, that it is clinging to life. I hope it will flourish with the rainy season, but I don't know...   
I'd love to add another, but I don't want to spend much if possible. Anybody know a good source that can ship within FL, for a decent price?

Anyone else here growing them? What are your experiences? Do you enjoy it? Do you cook with it a lot? I think it's a cool looking plant...

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Curry Leaf Tree (Murraya Koenigi)
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2017, 02:20:23 AM »
It's not a slow grower here. Will start fruiting in about 2-3 years. Yes the fruits are edible, though small.
Oscar

Chandramohan

• India, Kerala, Wynad
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2017, 01:21:29 PM »
It grows well in Kerala. It grows extremely well in parts of India that are dry and with lots of sunshine. I pour the waste water from washing fish around the tree to make it flush with new growth. Also bury the fish waste around the tree. We use the leaves in every cooking.

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2017, 09:41:42 PM »
I didn't even know it made fruit!

I wonder why in FL it has such a reputation as a slow grower? Maybe it's actually a nutritional problem, since we have such poor soil...

So glad to hear other chime in here!

Chandramohan

• India, Kerala, Wynad
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2017, 10:34:56 AM »
You can try Fish Aminoacids.

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2017, 10:46:53 AM »
Thank you. I am vegetarian and do not purchase animal products, but I am sure that will be helpful to others here.

ericalynne

• United States of America, Florida, Venus, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2017, 07:34:55 AM »
I got some seeds many years ago and have two trees. I am in Florida and they seem to be growing actively. I have not done anything particular. Back when we had those really tough freezes, one froze to the ground, but came back up. Another time my dear spouse weed wacked it down and it came back just fine. I have terrible soil and have never fertilized.

I had heard the fruit were poisonous??? The birds don't even eat them. I did a quick google check that says the berry is edible but the seeds are poisonous.

Nothing is fruiting now, but when it does, I have lots of seeds. If I remember, I will post in the buy, sell, trade section when seeds are available.

Erica

TravelingFriend

• North America, SE states, Louisiana, Georgia, Florida, Zone 9a - 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2017, 03:48:38 PM »
I got some seeds many years ago and have two trees. I am in Florida and they seem to be growing actively. I have not done anything particular. Back when we had those really tough freezes, one froze to the ground, but came back up. Another time my dear spouse weed wacked it down and it came back just fine. I have terrible soil and have never fertilized.

I had heard the fruit were poisonous??? The birds don't even eat them. I did a quick google check that says the berry is edible but the seeds are poisonous.

Nothing is fruiting now, but when it does, I have lots of seeds. If I remember, I will post in the buy, sell, trade section when seeds are available.

Erica

Thank you, I have a cutting, who is on its 3rd comeback fromlooking like it'd die.. Barely 2 leaves, and what looks like flower buds at tips... Trying to keep it warm right now, I think the cool weather, along with no rain has been tough for it.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2017, 04:39:28 AM »

Erica
The fruits are definitely edible. They have a strong spicy taste, but i rather like them. But they are quite small, so not much to them. Eat them when they are fully darkened in color. I've never eaten the seeds, but many fruit seeds are toxic or poisonous, so no surprise there.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 04:41:03 AM by fruitlovers »
Oscar

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2017, 12:43:13 PM »
My parents neighbour has trees that drop seeds into their yard.  This is 30 minutes north of Orlando.  The seeds sprout and root even falling on pine bark mulch.  I see no issue growing this tree in Florida.  I have a tree in Bermuda and it grows quite quickly.  Keeping it small is the only work.

Balaman

• Australia
    • View Profile
    • iplantz
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2017, 08:49:47 PM »
Here is a link to some info on how it it is used and its weed risk. Scroll down to Google Maps on the page to see where it grows.

www.iplantz.com/plant/215/bergera-koenigii

Chandramohan

• India, Kerala, Wynad
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2017, 01:28:39 PM »
Some of the information on 'iplantz.com' is wrong. One does not pluck "tender" leaves to use as spice,but mature leaves.

Balaman

• Australia
    • View Profile
    • iplantz
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2017, 10:02:31 PM »
Some of the information on 'iplantz.com' is wrong. One does not pluck "tender" leaves to use as spice,but mature leaves.

Chandramohan, Thanks for the correction. I've changed 'young' to 'mature' in the use description. Have revisited my reference books and can only conclude that I have mistakenly substituted 'young' for 'fresh'. I've observed the leaves being used in cooking and have used them myself, but must admit I've only cooked with them on occasion.

Chandramohan

• India, Kerala, Wynad
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2017, 12:43:23 PM »
Balaman, You are welcome. There is another 'error'. Every house in Kerala has curry leaf plant, but I am yet to see one on which the leaves emerge 'pink-red'. I have seen them emerge only light green.

TravelingFriend

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2017, 03:56:28 PM »
My plant did not survive.. Now looking for fruiting variety again..

ericalynne

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2017, 07:32:26 PM »
My curry leaf tree is blooming now in zone 9b Florida.

Bob407

• Isla de Bieke, PR 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2017, 01:41:36 PM »
My curry leaf plants are growing well and seem to do better with partial shade. There is one planted in hard clay that receives no fertilizers or irrigation and it produces fruit. The leaf flavor seems to suffer though. My potted trees get many root suckers and I dig them out and replant them. As long as they are kept moist initially they establish just fine. I saw a fruiting curry leaf some years back north of Orlando. It was about 5 feet tall. The fruits are nicely flavored.
Life is good

TravelingFriend

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2017, 12:43:13 PM »
My curry leaf tree is blooming now in zone 9b Florida.

Do ya'll have any Seed available for sharing with my Family in Cape Coral, FL?

TravelingFriend

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2017, 12:44:30 PM »
My curry leaf plants are growing well and seem to do better with partial shade. There is one planted in hard clay that receives no fertilizers or irrigation and it produces fruit. The leaf flavor seems to suffer though. My potted trees get many root suckers and I dig them out and replant them. As long as they are kept moist initially they establish just fine. I saw a fruiting curry leaf some years back north of Orlando. It was about 5 feet tall. The fruits are nicely flavored.

Yes i agree, the fruit are very pleasant, and as well - the Leaf is much sweeter, and appealing than the more foetid characteristic of the suckering Curry..

sampatel

• Jupiter, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2017, 12:48:44 AM »
I have a curry leaf tree in pot to give away free...about 4 feet tall...I am in West Palm Beach. PM me if anyone is interested.

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2017, 08:43:40 AM »
I have a curry leaf tree in pot to give away free...about 4 feet tall...I am in West Palm Beach. PM me if anyone is interested.

PMed.

ericalynne

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2017, 10:24:09 PM »
I have curry leaf seeds available now, posted in buy, sell, trade. Erica