Author Topic: Cherimoya seeds floating  (Read 2729 times)

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
Cherimoya seeds floating
« on: June 17, 2017, 09:34:43 PM »
So I got some cherimoya (Annona cherimola) seeds (not from the forum) with the intent of planting them today.  I read online that to get things going, soak in water for 6 hours and those that are floating are bad, those that sank are good.
All my seeds, every last one is floating 3 hours in.  Should I be concerned?

I want these for rootstock, but was curious, is this a desirable fruit by itself?

mike rule

• karrabin qld australia
    • View Profile
Re: Cherimoya seeds floating
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2017, 07:51:14 AM »
Leave for 24 hours... if still floating place in bin...... Are the seeds brown or black..... If brown Cherimoya was picked too early.... Best time to pick is when they change their appearance... They usually go lighter...... Mike

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2017, 09:41:48 AM »
Leave for 24 hours... if still floating place in bin...... Are the seeds brown or black..... If brown Cherimoya was picked too early.... Best time to pick is when they change their appearance... They usually go lighter...... Mike
They are brown though left overnight still floating but have taken on a darker shade around the edges.
This may work after all.

TheDom

• Fort Myers, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2017, 11:17:50 AM »
As cherimoya seeds dry they go from black to sort of a Chestnut brown. Rehydrating is the reverse, with them darkening starting at the point. Almost all of mine will float at first. I'll usually start them in hot tap water and stir the bunch with my finger whenever I happen to talk by. With each stir a few more sink.
Dom

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2017, 11:30:27 AM »
I have also used hydrogen peroxide to soak older cherimoya seeds over night with good results! read some where that helps get oxygen into seed embryo!

crea2k

• Uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2017, 04:44:57 PM »
The way I find best to get them to germinate is take a blade and very carefully cut into the seed where the round hole is at the end, then you can either run the knife down the seam or just split the shell in half (not the insides, they must stay intact and not damaged). I do this under a microscope as its easier to see what im doing. Iv tried putting seeds prepared like this into damp kitchen roll and the shelled ones germinate in 1-2 weeks instead of 4-6 weeks. Its quite useful too as you can spot the rotten ones as soon s you open them.

RodneyS

• Cerritos, CA (Zone 11a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2017, 07:17:13 PM »
Soak them for a few days to a week.  Most should sink from water saturation.  If any float, toss them in the trash

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2017, 09:41:29 PM »
Thanks all, you are all correct.  A couple more sank.
I came across the hydrogen peroxide hint on you tube but didn't use the hint.  Perhaps for the next batch.
I also saw the suggestion to clip a portion of the shell to help the seed out.  Didn't use that either (don't trust my fine motor skills  :))

I will wait these out and let more sink over the next few days.

Thanks.

boxturtle

• usa, ca. garden grove Orange County
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2017, 10:23:30 AM »
Thanks all, you are all correct.  A couple more sank.
I came across the hydrogen peroxide hint on you tube but didn't use the hint.  Perhaps for the next batch.
I also saw the suggestion to clip a portion of the shell to help the seed out.  Didn't use that either (don't trust my fine motor skills  :))

I will wait these out and let more sink over the next few days.

Thanks.

lol don't over complicate something so simple