Author Topic: Please help with Atemoya & cherimoya pollination questions  (Read 3761 times)

Cookie0208

• San Jose, CA, Zone 9B
    • View Profile
Guys, I have few questions in regards to hand pollination for the Atemoya and Cherimoya trees. I have hand pollinated roughly 100 flowers, but 100% failed :(. I have 4 atemoya trees and 3 cherimoyas, many flowers, but I do not know whether I did it right or not.

1. How can I tell if I hand pollinate successfully?
2. If the female flower turns into a male flower, is that means the process failed?
3. What is the sign to look for and how long can I expect to see if the result of hand pollination is successful?

Thank you!

So_Cal_Mike

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Please help with Atemoya & cherimoya pollination questions
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2017, 02:47:53 AM »
This is a pretty good instuctive video on how to pollinate cherimoyas...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YTaBVR-YrQc
[size=85]Sunset Zone: 21 • USDA Zone: 10a • AHS Heat Zone: 6-7[/size]

Si Duong

• Hayward, Northern California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2017, 04:59:30 AM »
I am from Hayward, I have Lisa atemoya and Booth, Honey Heart, El bumbo, Vietnamese, Knight and few more variety of Cherimoya.  I also have some problems with my hand pollination also.  May be around 90% failed even though I use the fresh pollen every time. I mix all the pollen available on that day before I pollinate the female flowers.

I guess here is my problem.  I work 2nd shift so I only have time to pollinate around 1pm or 2pm when it's so hot and dry.  I've read somewhere before the best time to hand pollinate the Cherimoya is Late afternoon or early morning to get best fruit set because those time are high in huminity. 

If anyone have any suggestion please let me know.  Thanks

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2017, 12:27:40 PM »
The female flowers on my atemoya open around 3 pm. The male flowers open around 5 pm.

When I have old pollen I pollinate around 3. Else I pollinate around 5-8 pm.

My weaker tree only flower recently. It got 3 fruits so far. Only has a few flowers left.

Samu

• North Tustin, So. California, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2017, 01:56:35 PM »
Guys, I have few questions in regards to hand pollination for the Atemoya and Cherimoya trees. I have hand pollinated roughly 100 flowers, but 100% failed :(. I have 4 atemoya trees and 3 cherimoyas, many flowers, but I do not know whether I did it right or not.

1. How can I tell if I hand pollinate successfully?
2. If the female flower turns into a male flower, is that means the process failed?
3. What is the sign to look for and how long can I expect to see if the result of hand pollination is successful?

Thank you!

Let me try to answer the OP's questions:
1. Successful if it stays on after a few weeks. If you are curious, after the petals dried up, (turns brown; usually after a few days to about a week or so);  gently tap it with your finger: it's a good sign if the stem stays attached.
2. No, normally all females will turn to male flowers, regardless if its pollinated or not.
3.Same answer as no.1.

Another very good thread explained by members here:
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=23524.0

I wish I knew about this thread when I had my first tree.
Good luck everyone!

Sam

Cookie0208

• San Jose, CA, Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2017, 06:20:21 PM »
Samu, so when the female flowers turn male flowers, can I still collect the pollen from the flowers that I already hand pollinated?

So, even when the female flowers turn male flower after hand pollination, it's still can be successful?

Thanks

Samu

• North Tustin, So. California, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2017, 09:36:57 PM »
Samu, so when the female flowers turn male flowers, can I still collect the pollen from the flowers that I already hand pollinated?

So, even when the female flowers turn male flower after hand pollination, it's still can be successful?

Thanks

Yes; but I normally won't use the pollens if the petals are already turn "half brown", try to get from the fresh pollens (when the petals already open wide, but are still green) to give you a better change...

By the way, I also do the pollinating on the female flowers that are about to open, I lift one petal then insert your tiny artist brush in, just give a gentle twisting touch or two...

Another info that I personally experience is the first year (or two) young flowering tree is not too receptive in making fruits (very high failure rate), similar to some other young fruit trees I guess; also, the variety you have can make a difference. I personally found that African Atemoya is difficult to bear fruit, at the other hand Orton, Dr. White and El Bumpo cherimoyas are a whole lot easier.

Use the search engine of this forum as well as from YouTube/internet, I am pretty sure you'll find a plenty learning materials related to this annona pollinations routine...

Sam

Cookie0208

• San Jose, CA, Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2017, 10:38:07 AM »
Yes!! I finally got hand pollination right. All my atemoya trees have small fruitlets now. Hopefully it will hold as I have no idea what variety of atemoya trees I have. On the other hand, none of my cherimoya trees have any fruit yet :(.

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2017, 10:52:44 AM »
good. weather/temps play important role in fruit set as well. I have found temps in upper 80's to mid 90's best suited for pollinated flowers to set fruits. I also try to pollinate twice a day, once in the morning and once close to sunset. Flowers pollinated in the morning turn into male during the day allowing me to collect more pollen and cycle thru. I keep leftover pollen in refrigerator for 24-hrs.