Author Topic: Best tasting White Sapote for South Florida Landscape  (Read 3223 times)

Johnny Redland

• Redland FL
    • View Profile
Best tasting White Sapote for South Florida Landscape
« on: July 01, 2017, 07:30:10 PM »
There is an older pretty lengthy post on this subject but I'd like to get fresh opinions. I've only had SES 2 variety from Fruit and Spice park. I'm in that same area. It's really good and Fruits we'll. I wouldn't be upset if that's the variety I plant next. I currently have a Redland variety that hasn't fruited yet. Any recommendations if I get another variety ?? Also, any information on the taste quality of the Redland? Thank You.

-Jon

bradflorida

• Osprey, FL. Zone 10A.
    • View Profile
Re: Best tasting White Sapote for South Florida Landscape
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2017, 10:19:51 PM »
I have tasted a few different white sapote varieties including Redlands and smathers and Excalibur suebelle (not same as California suebelle), as well as some seedlings.

Smathers is an impressively large fruit, but I detected a pine after taste that didn't appeal to me.

Redlands was a decent sized fruit but was just a plain sweet custard flavor, very one dimensional. I had a Redlands tree and it was a vigorous grower but died when i over watered it

The Excalibur suebelle was the one that stood out for both my wife and I.  It was a sweet custard flavor with a lemon / citrus taste mixed in.  Delicious.  The tree seems pretty tough too
  You can only purchase this at Excalibur.  Other suebelle trees sold elsewhere are typically the true suebelle which is a different tree that has a very hard time surviving our Florida climate. 

Brad
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 10:28:47 PM by bradflorida »
Brad

Johnny Redland

• Redland FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2017, 10:29:55 PM »
Brad, thank you for the detailed response. I'm actually glad to hear that the Redland variety is less citrusy than most. I rather enjoy the custard flavor and texture. I have plenty of citrus on my property and I actually prefer a much different taste. I'm going to let this Redland fruit and see how I like it.  If not, I'll pick up an Excalibur Subelle. Thank You!!!!

fruitloopy

• USA,FL,Stuart, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2017, 09:18:26 PM »
Younghans Gold seems to get a lot of publicity in the forum.

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2017, 10:03:27 PM »
I have tasted a few different white sapote varieties including Redlands and smathers and Excalibur suebelle (not same as California suebelle), as well as some seedlings.

Smathers is an impressively large fruit, but I detected a pine after taste that didn't appeal to me.

Redlands was a decent sized fruit but was just a plain sweet custard flavor, very one dimensional. I had a Redlands tree and it was a vigorous grower but died when i over watered it

The Excalibur suebelle was the one that stood out for both my wife and I.  It was a sweet custard flavor with a lemon / citrus taste mixed in.  Delicious.  The tree seems pretty tough too
  You can only purchase this at Excalibur.  Other suebelle trees sold elsewhere are typically the true suebelle which is a different tree that has a very hard time surviving our Florida climate. 

Brad
I bought a suebelle from Trees and More a couple years ago. It's doing ok but if Mike is around,
do you sell the Excalibur type or the true type that Brad mentioned? The tree didn't like full sun initially
and I had to put  some cover over it but now it is pushing 10 feet and dark green. It didn't flower
this year but we weren't very cold? I would say it is doing great so far even if it isn't the Excalibur
type. Hopefully next year I will get fruit?

Donkeys4hire

• B & B's Tropical Paradise
    • Western PSL, Florida, zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2017, 05:26:29 PM »
I've only tried "Mamey" once, it was good. I'm going to be on the lookout for one to plant.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 05:54:17 PM by Donkeys4hire »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk