Author Topic: Avocado thread  (Read 183191 times)

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
Re: Avocado thread
« Reply #375 on: August 25, 2018, 11:44:03 PM »
Can you grow those in CA?  Get some scion wood if you want to sell some I want to grow a red avocado.
Brad Spaugh

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: August 27, 2018, 10:41:35 AM »
Yes they can be grow in SoCal .. it will be awhile before I’ll have scions available for these

Tichuc & Suarez

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: August 28, 2018, 07:02:41 PM »
Sorry to post this in more than one place but I need t maximise my chances of getting someone to see this and hopefully have a solution.

I have a dying avocado.
This picture is of one of several leafs on the plant.

I am trying to learn what this is and if there is a cure of if I should plan on recovering the space for a different tree in the future..

Tree is in Florida, in full sun, an Oro Negro.  We have had a mix of heavy rain with periods of dry and very hot conditions.

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: August 29, 2018, 12:06:29 AM »
Sorry orkine I’m not familiar with that disease process. Looks like it maybe vascular or systemic as it’s originating in the base/center of the leaf and working outwards. How do the stems look?

Diospyros

• Paris, France
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: August 29, 2018, 06:26:25 PM »
I just wanna share the pictures of an avocado that I found in Southern Spain.

Fruits ripen in Dec / Feb, very creamy, peels easily. Tree is a compact grower, very bushy and heavy producer.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 06:28:11 PM by Diospyros »

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #380 on: August 29, 2018, 06:44:53 PM »

Fruits ripen in Dec / Feb, very creamy, peels easily. Tree is a compact grower, very bushy and heavy producer.

beautiful looking fruit and yellow flesh color. how is the taste? I have always wanted to graft something like this to my cocktail cado tree.

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: August 29, 2018, 08:43:58 PM »

You can try emailing the photo to Gary Matsuoka at laguna hills nursery. He’s quite knowledgeable and knows quite a bit about the industry in general.  Otherwise, some universities offer disease assessment services , and some local ag extensions may do the same.

Khaled

Sorry to post this in more than one place but I need t maximise my chances of getting someone to see this and hopefully have a solution.

I have a dying avocado.
This picture is of one of several leafs on the plant.

I am trying to learn what this is and if there is a cure of if I should plan on recovering the space for a different tree in the future..

Tree is in Florida, in full sun, an Oro Negro.  We have had a mix of heavy rain with periods of dry and very hot conditions.

Triphal

• US, Midatlantic, Charles Town, 6b + Lowland Tropical Zone 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: August 29, 2018, 11:12:05 PM »
What varieties of avocado are practical for a low land tropical area with the average temperature of 27 degrees Centigrade with high humidity and 3780 mm of rain and a mild winter?
I am trying to help a Horticulture Scientist struggling in avocado growing in such areas. {But it grows well in nearby high elevation ( 1500 meters and above ) areas with low winter temperatures.}
 I was unable to find much of a participation from low land tropical areas. Any suggestion or comments from avocado growers in such tropical areas are very well appreciated. Thanks.

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: August 30, 2018, 09:56:51 AM »
Thanks for the suggestion Khaled.
I will look into it.
I was hoping to get an immediate response in case there is action i can take immediately to arrest this decline.
Got a few tips,  working all fronts.

kc_moses

• Lake Worth, FL, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: August 30, 2018, 10:16:06 AM »

What variety is this avocado? It looks cute. It's not related to those "cocktail avocado" right?

Mando408

• San Jose, CA, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: August 30, 2018, 04:17:37 PM »
I have a couple of questions....
1) Is it a good time of the year to graft avocados? I use the technique that Carlos demonstrates in his Youtube videos
2) Maybe a dumb question, but does an avocado tree that grows large stay small or grow slower when grafted onto a dwarf variety (Wurtz or Holiday), as with other fruit trees?

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: August 31, 2018, 01:33:46 AM »
The traditional answer is no to both.

Brad described a technique to dramatically increase graft success earlier in this thread ( check July- early August).

I don’t think rootstocks have successfully dwarfed the grafted branches but don’t quote me o that.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #387 on: August 31, 2018, 10:24:22 AM »
It was in another thread called "grafting avocados".  I have a bunch more trees now being grafted with excellent results in the middle of August.  Sadly, I am running out of places to plant all the new trees I've got.  I am cheating a bit though putting them indoors.

If temperatures are below 90F, I don't think you will have problems.  Just keep the trees in 80 or 90% shade for 3 weeks then slowly move into more sun as they start pushing.  If you are doing it onto a tree already in the ground, it may be more difficult.
Brad Spaugh

Mando408

• San Jose, CA, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: August 31, 2018, 06:23:04 PM »
Thanks guys, I'll look into that other technique.

As for dwarfing full sized trees, I didn't think so either (I've never read about anybody doing it) I was just asking before giving into the urge of turning my Lil Cado and/or Holiday into cocktail trees

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: September 01, 2018, 09:50:19 AM »
Thanks guys, I'll look into that other technique.

As for dwarfing full sized trees, I didn't think so either (I've never read about anybody doing it) I was just asking before giving into the urge of turning my Lil Cado and/or Holiday into cocktail trees

Orkine, don't know how long you've been growing avocados so don't take this wrong but avocados drop/replace leaves several times a year. What you have may be nothing more than normal leaf senescence or may be a case of phytophora with all your rains.  I've sent off black avocados sticks to the U. of Florida tissue lab analysis services and those folks are excellent.  Also, there are quite a few products that nail phytophora as a soil drench and or leaf spray.  Magnabon CS2005 is one of them.  It's a systemic.  Frank Miele is from your neck of the woods and developed it.  It's also OMRI certified if you happen to roll that way.

Man, I'm itching to do a few more avocado grafts but am on the fence.  We start getting cold weather come October and come about Nov. everything pretty much shuts down.  I have done 67 grafts this year - avocado, annona, citrus, mango and just got thru with the last of 37 citrus grafts which completes my 4 citrus cocktail trees.

FWIW, some stuff is photoperiod dependent regarding growth, flowering responses, etc......  citrus is one of them and another reason why I'm hesitant to do any more grafting now that's it's Sept.  Sounds silly but I do pre-sunrise walks up and down our long driveway here in the country and will always stop by the greenhouse and flick on the light.  It interrupts the phytochrome hormonal thingie and simulates long days and short nights.

Good luck....

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #390 on: September 01, 2018, 11:33:09 AM »
Question for those with mature mexican avocado trees.  How long can you let them hang after they turn black?  My avos are turning black but they arent really ready to be picking.  Is ok to leave for another month or two?
Brad Spaugh

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: September 01, 2018, 12:41:22 PM »
Orkine, don't know how long you've been growing avocados so don't take this wrong but avocados drop/replace leaves several times a year. What you have may be nothing more than normal leaf senescence or may be a case of phytophora with all your rains.  I've sent off black avocados sticks to the U. of Florida tissue lab analysis services and those folks are excellent.  Also, there are quite a few products that nail phytophora as a soil drench and or leaf spray.  Magnabon CS2005 is one of them.  It's a systemic.  Frank Miele is from your neck of the woods and developed it.  It's also OMRI certified if you happen to roll that way.
No offence taken Mark and rest assured, I will always take advice and feedback from experienced folks, even when not delivered as nicely as you do :)

This tree is one of two I had and used to be a Lula before I grafted it to Oro Negro (scions from Carlos) a few years ago.  I have seen it drop leaves but this looks different. It is over the entire tree with complete die back of limbs after the leaves drop.  The fruits are wrinkled and seem to be drying out.  Here are a few pictures.

This other one below, I fear may be the future of this tree.  It was a vigorous productive Monroe (at least so I thought) that was knocked down by two storms, propped back up both times, and it looked like it was coming back.  Then started deteriorating just the same way the Oro negro is now.  It is dead now and I will take a chain saw to it soon.  I will leave a stump in the off chance that I am wrong and it is not dead.

I am trying whatever I can to save the tree, sentimental reasons (first successful graft ever).  However, I am looking at the silver lining, if this dies, I will have space for one of the many plants in my seedling areas in need of a spot in the yard.

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: September 02, 2018, 10:23:32 AM »
No offence taken Mark and rest assured, I will always take advice and feedback from experienced folks, even when not delivered as nicely as you do :)

If it means that much to you then I send some sticks to U. of Fl. lab ASAP.  Losing the trees is bad enough, not knowing what went wrong is worse.  Kinda like divorce - if you don't know what led up to it you're liable to repeat the same ole same ole.....only to fail again.

kalan

• FL Broward Zone 10b southwest ranches
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: September 02, 2018, 12:03:16 PM »
I really hope I am wrong, but could be laurel wilt. Any sign of holes or frass in the brown wood (frass looks like sawdust "toothpicks" emerging from the wood).?

This tree is one of two I had and used to be a Lula before I grafted it to Oro Negro (scions from Carlos) a few years ago.  I have seen it drop leaves but this looks different. It is over the entire tree with complete die back of limbs after the leaves drop.  The fruits are wrinkled and seem to be drying out.  Here are a few pictures.

This other one below, I fear may be the future of this tree.  It was a vigorous productive Monroe (at least so I thought) that was knocked down by two storms, propped back up both times, and it looked like it was coming back.  Then started deteriorating just the same way the Oro negro is now.  It is dead now and I will take a chain saw to it soon.  I will leave a stump in the off chance that I am wrong and it is not dead.

I am trying whatever I can to save the tree, sentimental reasons (first successful graft ever).  However, I am looking at the silver lining, if this dies, I will have space for one of the many plants in my seedling areas in need of a spot in the yard.

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: September 02, 2018, 12:06:26 PM »
Over 5 years ago I first noticed avocado die back in trees near my property that jumped houses to hit the next tree.

Carlos seems to be the expert of transmission/organisms infecting/contributing to the die back. Reading his comments would be best but I will give my limited experience.

A few years ago I had similar die back of a Simmonds avocado. It started after the death of many trees on my street. I used imidacloprid spraying tree trunk and pouring some in soil around the roots. I also used the strongest/longest lasting available (ornamental) insecticide available to spray the limbs of the tree. I sprayed copper on the tree. I also fertilized soil and sprayed minerals on limbs to encourage new growth. I decided I would use it as an ornamental tree if it fruited the next year. I continued using imidacloprid/copper/ornamental insecticides for a year and it did grow, fruit, and started looking healthy. The following year I ceased all insecticide/fungicide sprays except copper... Die back once again appeared and I planted a mango next to it. The simmonds avocado is now dead and the mango next to it is growing good... Good luck with yours, but it was not worth the continual work for me to keep my infected avocado tree alive.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: September 02, 2018, 05:44:37 PM »
I have a dying avocado.
I had a couple of avocado trees where the leaves did that after flooding, leaves wilted and didn't drop off. The few that died were on larger mounds than I would have put them but still the saturated soil got a few. I see your trees aren't on mounds, could they have seen standing water at some point this summer? You folks are nearly 10" above normal rainfall for the year.

Lory

• Cebu-Philippines 10° N
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: September 02, 2018, 08:53:47 PM »
It definitely looks like a ROOT problem.
Evidently roots can't absorb water/nutrients and this brings all the symptoms you see on the tree.
Success/failure of any tree is mainly under the ground and this is particularly true for avocado.
I'd try to dig a litle bit in several spots at different distance around the tree trunk to visually inspect the status of the roots.
Ideally you should find a thick net of thousands of healthy white/creamy coloured feeding roots.
If they are not present or they are dark brown/black then you should start to worry A LOT....
Lorenzo

z_willus_d

• US, CA, Roseville, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: October 11, 2018, 12:30:57 AM »
Insignificant relative to most updates here, but monumental to myself -- today I tasted my first personally home-grown avocado.  It's from a several year old Fuerte tree that I planted in a plastic wine barrel container of around 40-gal.  This was the first year the tree set fruit and held onto some of them -- specifically two avocados.  This one just ripened up and dropped to the ground either today or yesterday (not sure which).  I wasn't expecting ripened avocados until next year, but I really haven't checked what to expect.  This avocado was about 5 ounce, and while it wasn't the best I've had, it was actually quite creamy and tasty.  I can tell this fruit was a bit sub-optimal, but it's still far better than anything I've had from the store in recent months.  I've got one more hanging on the tree, which I expect will be a better specimen; larger at least.  I'm super excited to have grown one of these, if only the one or two, after so many years struggling to bring fruit to bear on an avocado tree that is container bound in our Northern CA climate.  I'm ready to celebrate.

Here are some pics of the tree with the fruit a month back and what it looks like on the cutting board:

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: October 11, 2018, 09:07:25 AM »
Doesn't look at all like a Fuerte.
John

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: October 11, 2018, 10:52:41 AM »
Kinda looks like Mexicola Grande but diffidently a mexican variety.