Author Topic: What cause longan fruits 'skin crack  (Read 3303 times)

dragon

• San Diego
    • View Profile
What cause longan fruits 'skin crack
« on: November 08, 2017, 04:53:39 PM »
Does anyone know what cause longan fruit split open ? Too cold, too much water or lack of water? I am sad beacause I will not have the chance to taste mature , ripped longan fruits first time this year.

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
Re: What cause longan fruits 'skin crack
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2017, 08:07:59 PM »
Could be damage from a mite

marklee

• Chula Vista, California Zone 24 or 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2017, 08:19:00 PM »
Probably extra watering along with the heat we got a few weeks ago.
All of my longans turned out fine, I really haven't watered them much.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2017, 08:48:52 PM »
It can be from uneven moisture levels, lack of Calcium or other minerals, changes in weather such as going from heat waves to cold weather and also from fertilizing at improper times. If you randomly fertilize, the fertilizers can cause rapid expansion of the fruit which can split the Fruit.

You may also notice splitting of fruit when trees go from fruiting to vegetative growth. Do you have a picture of your tree?

Simon

dragon

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2017, 09:36:01 PM »
It can be from uneven moisture levels, lack of Calcium or other minerals, changes in weather such as going from heat waves to cold weather and also from fertilizing at improper times. If you randomly fertilize, the fertilizers can cause rapid expansion of the fruit which can split the Fruit.

You may also notice splitting of fruit when trees go from fruiting to vegetative growth. Do you have a picture of your tree?

Simon

I just cut down 2 branches of fruits that my tree produced this year. I noticed the tree flushed out new growth from the top

Probably extra watering along with the heat we got a few weeks ago.
All of my longans turned out fine, I really haven't watered them much.

I think I watered too much. I heard longan will drop fruits if they don't get enough water. Plus I plant it in the pot, so I am afraid the tree lacks of water if I don't water it for 2 days

waxy

• San Jose, CA Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2017, 01:45:01 PM »

Simon

Spot on Simon, mine cracks very frequently at the highest part of the tree.
Anything lower in the shade, deep below the canopy did not crack.

Cracking did occur during cold and hot swings here in San Jose.
They do prefer a consistent temperature whether or below or high, saturation is no different.

The best way for me to avoid this issue is bag up the fruits or keep them in the greenhouse.
Although I avoid keeping them in the greenhouse, otherwise when winter comes they are too used to the warmth and have difficulty transitioning to colder temps.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2017, 08:08:40 PM »
I experienced some cracking of my fruit as well, especially during the heat wave. I try to keep the moisture level consistent in order to eliminate one of the many possible causes of the cracking.

Simon

dragon

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2017, 10:40:47 PM »
I experienced some cracking of my fruit as well, especially during the heat wave. I try to keep the moisture level consistent in order to eliminate one of the many possible causes of the cracking.

Simon

Look like you have more than one variety right Simon? What are those names? My fruits,  look similar to the first pic you posted. How old is your tree? Mine is almost 3 years, and have not grown much since I bought it.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2017, 12:00:05 AM »
It’s just one variety. It’s Kohala all from the same tree. Some fruit are just different sizes and color due to Fruit maturity. I believe I’ve had this tree for about 4-5 years. I bought it as a small stick and it’s grown pretty fast. Kohala is an extremely vigorous variety and I let it hold fruit in order to help control its size. I have horrible clay and rock soil so I have it growing on a small mound raised about 1 foot above grade.

Longan and subtropicals in general respond really well to fertilization during periods of active growth. Kohala grows much faster in my area than Sri Chompoo and Biew Kiew.

Simon

hellosf

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2017, 08:54:32 AM »
what is the tin foil being used for?

waxy

• San Jose, CA Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2017, 11:56:26 AM »
It’s just one variety. It’s Kohala all from the same tree. Some fruit are just different sizes and color due to Fruit maturity. I believe I’ve had this tree for about 4-5 years. I bought it as a small stick and it’s grown pretty fast. Kohala is an extremely vigorous variety and I let it hold fruit in order to help control its size. I have horrible clay and rock soil so I have it growing on a small mound raised about 1 foot above grade.

Longan and subtropicals in general respond really well to fertilization during periods of active growth. Kohala grows much faster in my area than Sri Chompoo and Biew Kiew.

Simon

Hi Simon what are your recommendations in regards to the small, late blooming fruits on the longan?
Some of which hang on there even after all the other fruits ripen.
Reason I ask is you have quite a bit of them, green in your picture.
I'm tempted to just break them off and let the tree focus on other fruits.

I have several longan trees, ages vary from 3 years to 6+ years old.
They're all air layered, none from seed. All of them are going through a 3rd growth flush, is this normal?
First flush was in early spring right after winter, another in summer and one more right now.
They're not exfoliating or anything, the leaves are lush green and as happy as could be.
All are potted trees, a lot of moving is involved when there are cold swings.

- Biew Kiew
- Diamond River
- Kohala
- Sri Champoo/chompoo

I must admit, it's very nice to have this many varieties that allow harvest throughout the year.

Thanks in advance for your wisdom Simon, sorry for hijacking the thread since we're on the same topic.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 11:58:49 AM by waxy »

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2017, 12:10:28 PM »
what is the tin foil being used for?

The tin foil is to keep the critters away. I have a possum that’s been going to town on the low hanging fruit and anything shiny or that smells or looks different seems to keep it away.

Waxy, I actually enjoy the extended season from the late maturing Fruit. It’s not so good when I want to cut an entire panicle of fruit off to give as gifts to family and friends but for my families own consumption, I use fine tipped pruners to remove small clusters of fruit or individual fruit that are perfectly ripe and I leave the smaller Fruit to ripen.

A couple years ago, I purposefully pruned this tree at odd times of the year which caused the tree to produce staggered flowering and fruit which extended my season.

Just a note that not all the fruit are small because they are immature. I got a lot of fruit that have chicken tongue seeds and the fruit are about 1/3-1/2 the size of a normal fruit. These fruit with chicken tongue seeds are extremely sweet but seem more prone to cracking.

Simon

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk