Author Topic: Exotica has hundreds of mango trees in San Diego  (Read 4478 times)

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
Exotica has hundreds of mango trees in San Diego
« on: November 22, 2017, 12:07:27 PM »
Southern California folks interested in mangoes might want to check out Exotica in Vista. Looked to me like he has over 1000 plants now. He's expanding into the back lot and has a couple greenhouses full of mango too. I didn't even try to read all the tags but it has to be many tens of different varieties. Id guess mostly from Florida but a few from california. Very expensive.
Shane

CBG35

• Escondido CA
    • View Profile
Re: Exotica has hundreds of mango trees in San Diego
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2017, 12:33:51 PM »
On turpentine rootstock, FYI. Steve (owner) doesn't think that is a problem.  He says he has several mature mangoes on site, all on turpentine. 

RodneyS

• Cerritos, CA (Zone 11a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2017, 02:20:06 PM »
Hasn't there been issues with plants being mislabeled, or w/o labels at all at Exotica?

FruitFool

• san diego, ca, USDA zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2017, 03:40:58 PM »
I did see few mature mango trees at Exotica but I won't say they are thriving.

-FruitFool

marklee

• Chula Vista, California Zone 24 or 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2017, 04:40:52 PM »
Hasn't there been issues with plants being mislabeled, or w/o labels at all at Exotica?
The ones on turpentine in the ground in the back have been there for years and they are only a few feet tall, it may be from lack of care also. The lychees, longans and annonas in the back lot are doing real well though.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2017, 04:48:34 PM »
I bought 5 florida mangos from them about a year ago.  They have grown a lot this year.  They did 3 or 4 flushes and doing a new one now too. I think they just need the right conditions to grow well.  Like lots of heat and good drainage etc.
Brad Spaugh

CBG35

• Escondido CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2017, 10:00:15 PM »
I think it depends on the variety, some are more vigorous than others.  Which varieties did you get?

The varieties growing the best for me are Lemon Merengue, Lemon Zest, Phoenix, and Fruit Punch.  Those varieties are growing well, several vegetative flushes, no flowering, all planted this March.  The varieties that flower repeatedly are Malika, Carrie, Sweet Tart and Nam Doc Mai

Cyndie

CBG35

• Escondido CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2017, 10:12:51 PM »
The only place that I know of that sells Mango trees on Manila rootstock is Mimosa Nursery in Anaheim or LA.  Anyone know of any others?  The problem with Mimosa is not everything is labeled.  I am afraid to buy from them.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2017, 10:19:58 PM »
I got a winters, ugly betty, edward, sweet tart, diamond.  They are all growing pretty nicely but the root stock does have some small cracks.
Brad Spaugh

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2017, 10:22:46 PM »
The only place that I know of that sells Mango trees on Manila rootstock is Mimosa Nursery in Anaheim or LA.  Anyone know of any others?  The problem with Mimosa is not everything is labeled.  I am afraid to buy from them.

You can buy manilla trees anywhere.  Best option is to buy one and graft onto it.  Or grow some seeds and graft them. 
Brad Spaugh

Mikey

• San Diego, ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2017, 10:35:07 PM »
I got a coconut cream from him and it is doing well and it is flushing new foliage.  I buy my mango on ebay.  It is a little cheaper and it is deliver to my door.

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2017, 01:52:21 AM »
I've seen the greenhouse in the back. It is full however labeling is terrible. I would consider it just about impossible to know which variety is which. Many pots or sleeves not labeled, some labeled with wrong tree type (i.e. Roses).

K

Th3_BrazilianShark

• San Diego, CA USA. 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2018, 11:19:49 PM »
I've seen the greenhouse in the back. It is full however labeling is terrible. I would consider it just about impossible to know which variety is which. Many pots or sleeves not labeled, some labeled with wrong tree type (i.e. Roses).

K

I agree with you. I went there to check out the place and they were asking $250 for a jabuticaba about 6 years old. I have an almost 7 years old sabará going to sell for $100. I only bought a very small mango tree growing in a 5 gallon for $100, and that was on sale  :o

BonsaiBeast

• San Diego CA, USDA zone 10a, sunset zone 24
    • View Profile
    • BonsaiBeast
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2018, 05:47:07 PM »

You can buy manilla trees anywhere.  Best option is to buy one and graft onto it.  Or grow some seeds and graft them.

What is it about turpentine rootstock?

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2018, 12:30:50 AM »

What is it about turpentine rootstock?

See these threads
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=20816.0
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=15673.0

Not all varieties perform poorly on Florida Turpentine rootstock. There are many different types of Turpentine type Mangos and not all of them perform poorly here in SoCal. Vigorous varieties such as Valencia Pride and several others perform well on Florida Turpentine rootstock.

The Florida Turpentine rootstock trees seem to grow poorly in colder climates, especially those with high pH soils, heavy clay soils and soils with poor drainage. Most Mangos will grow poorly in these types of conditions but from my observations and observations from Mango growers all around SoCal over the last 15 years, other rootstocks including random seedling rootstocks and Laver Manilla Mango rootstocks grow better when planted side by side with Florida Turpentine rootstock trees.

Simon