Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers

Author Topic: What type of fruit is produced by a grafted tree?  (Read 274 times)

Robindch

• trinidad
    • View Profile
What type of fruit is produced by a grafted tree?
« on: December 03, 2017, 07:38:26 AM »
Now, I haven't been through all the past discussions on this site so I don't know if this may be a legit question or not. However, for the sake of asking I would like to know. What type of fruit is produced by a grafted tree. For example, if I were to take the budding of a lemon tree or an orange tree and graft it onto the rootstock of a lime tree, would the fruit produced when the tree bears be 'sour' or would it be of the same flavour as that of its parent plant? I ask this because upon conducting my research, I haven't been given a clear answer to this question.

citrange

• UK - 15 miles west of London
    • View Profile
    • Home Citrus growers
Re: What type of fruit is produced by a grafted tree?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2017, 12:21:58 PM »
The fruit is always the type that you graft or bud with on to the rootstock. The top variety is technically called the scion.
The rootstock may make subtle differences to the fruit produced, such as a little change in size/sweetness/acidity/peel thickness and so on.
But basically if you graft, say, a lime on to a rootstock - the fruit will always still be a lime and always taste like a lime.
The rootstock's fruit flavour is in no way transferred to the top variety.

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • Naples Home Inspections
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2017, 06:58:09 PM »
 A popular tree in my area is called a Snowbird citrus tree. It is a single tree that On one branch will grow grapefruit on another branch will grow an orange and on another branch grow a lemon. Again this is all on the same tree three different branches three different fruits.

daytripper

• Long Island, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2017, 10:23:56 AM »
A popular tree in my area is called a Snowbird citrus tree. It is a single tree that On one branch will grow grapefruit on another branch will grow an orange and on another branch grow a lemon. Again this is all on the same tree three different branches three different fruits.

You can graft many different types of trees onto one rootstock.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2017, 10:49:16 AM »
Joe Real, an acquaintance of many of us, has a 101 tree.  Joe has grafted 101 (at last count) different citrus types onto a single tree in his back yard.  101 different types of citrus on a single tree is the largest number that I know of.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 04:10:38 PM by Millet »

Isaac-1

• western Louisiana zone 8b/9a line
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2017, 12:54:05 PM »
I don't know about on citrus, but multi-grafted stone fruit trees are also popular, though from all I have read it is very difficult to manage them long term as one of the fruits will tend to be more vigorous and tend to take over.  Exactly which one will do this is hard to predict and will vary from location to location due to variations in growing conditions.

Personally I would prefer to have 5 or 6 trees than 1 tree with 5 or 6 types of citrus fruit growing on it, having all of ones eggs in the same basket and all of that....

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • Naples Home Inspections
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2017, 05:41:56 PM »

You can graft many different types of trees onto one rootstock.
Yeah I think you made my point better than I did. Obviously what I meant, you just stated it better

Copyright © Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers