Author Topic: Are there techniques to make jaboticaba trees grow faster?  (Read 3916 times)

BonsaiBeast

• San Diego CA, USDA zone 10a, sunset zone 24
    • View Profile
    • BonsaiBeast
Are there techniques to make jaboticaba trees grow faster?
« on: January 05, 2018, 04:35:48 PM »
Are there particular fertilizers or schedules?

What about worm castings?

My trees are pretty small, only about 3-4 years old.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Are there techniques to make jaboticaba trees grow faster?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 05:28:36 PM »
Trees grafted onto Sabara rootstock grows fast here because it is less prone to micronutrient deficiencies. Another forum member here and myself have also experienced accelerated growth rates with multiple rootstock Jaboticabas.

To make Jabs grow faster, provide them with plenty of water and fertilize with a good balanced fertilizer that has a good micro/trace package. I’ve noticed my Jabs like Iron, Magnesium and Sulfur among other nutrients.

Simon

marklee

• Chula Vista, California Zone 24 or 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2018, 08:22:51 PM »
I've had real good success with foliar feeding my jabuticabas with some good fertilzers.

BonsaiBeast

• San Diego CA, USDA zone 10a, sunset zone 24
    • View Profile
    • BonsaiBeast
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 08:40:53 PM »
I've had real good success with foliar feeding my jabuticabas with some good fertilzers.

What kind of fertilizer? Does it have nitrogen in it?

What time of year and how frequently do you foliar feed?

Th3_BrazilianShark

• San Diego, CA USA. 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2018, 09:11:59 PM »
Hi guys! Nice to find growers in the San Diego area.
I have seen many videos on youtube of people claiming to have a technique that works, like placing big stones between the branches, beating the plant or placing a nail through the trunk. The intention is to cause stress to the plant making it believe that could die and start producing fruits, does it work with Jabuticabas? I can't tell.
I am not sure if any of that, or anything else would work for you plant since it is so young.
Which jabuticaba do you have?

marklee

• Chula Vista, California Zone 24 or 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2018, 09:14:06 PM »
I foliar spray once a week usually in the spring and summer with Grow More 10-52-10, it is has never burnt leaves. Sometimes I'll put a few tablespoons around the trees also once a month or so.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2018, 09:54:36 PM »
Hi guys! Nice to find growers in the San Diego area.
I have seen many videos on youtube of people claiming to have a technique that works, like placing big stones between the branches, beating the plant or placing a nail through the trunk. The intention is to cause stress to the plant making it believe that could die and start producing fruits, does it work with Jabuticabas? I can't tell.
I am not sure if any of that, or anything else would work for you plant since it is so young.
Which jabuticaba do you have?

Welcome to the forum Brazilian Shark. See this thread http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=21427.0

This technique is pretty much girdling a technique which has proven effective in other types of fruit trees.

Simon

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2018, 10:41:46 PM »
First of all get the red hybrid type. I started 3 types from seeds last year and in the attached
photo you will see a red that is 9 months old and the smallest of 10 plants I grew from seed.
It is currently in a 3 gallon pot that I just moved up
 Next to it is a sabara that is a year old. The red fruits in 3-5 years and fruits year round.
Also the skin is thin and overall they taste wonderful. I have a 7+ year old sabara that had 6 fruits last spring.
 The 3 reds I have are around 5-6 years old and have been fruiting constantly for 2 years

The plants in the picture I give miracle grow to  every 1-2 weeks and keep in indirect light

« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 07:44:53 AM by achetadomestica »

John Travis

• Winter Park FL 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2018, 01:40:57 PM »
I have had a lot of success in accelerating growth rates by focusing soil composition, and root health. I use a 3 part soil with equal portions of peat, topsoil and pine fines. I apply mycorrhizae to ensure root health in addition to humic and fulvic acids. Nutrient availability and the plant's ability to take in nutrients is easy to overlook, and makes a big difference. I also use espoma holly tone or tomato tone, occasional b vitamins, enzymes, silica, glacial rock dust. Probably missing a few, but the mycorrhizae is probably the biggest game changer IMO.

Best of luck!
John

Tropic5oh

• USA Pomona California Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2023, 05:05:40 AM »
I know it’s an older thread but some great info! Do you guys find that Jabos require organic fertilizer like Lychees do, or are they a little hardier and can take some of the harsher/stronger stuff?
What you allow, you encourage

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2023, 01:54:31 PM »
I find that good pruning accelerates growth well.

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2023, 02:57:58 PM »
I see that soil is the one biggest factor for me. Using a good mix like pro mix with the fungi is very good. So much faster growth.
Except it’s expensive. But if you can spend $200 for a jaboticaba, you can surely buy 4 bags for the same price.

FruitGrower

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2023, 03:23:07 PM »
I know it’s an older thread but some great info! Do you guys find that Jabos require organic fertilizer like Lychees do, or are they a little hardier and can take some of the harsher/stronger stuff?

I fertilize mine with regular 8-3-9 all the time with no problem but when I have it they do seem to love the Holly Tone.

Tropic5oh

• USA Pomona California Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2023, 03:06:52 AM »
Thanks everybody! And FruitGrower, I’ve heard that fertilizer used by a few people. I was watching YouTube videos where the YouTuber swears by it for his Lychees and Jabos. I ordered some “AgroThrive” 3–3-5 organic, I might pick up some Hollytone as well
And try them both. Have you guys used Agro Thrive before?
What you allow, you encourage