Author Topic: What is a productive mango to graft onto my ataulfo rootstock?  (Read 2809 times)

BonsaiBeast

• San Diego CA, USDA zone 10a, sunset zone 24
    • View Profile
    • BonsaiBeast
What is a productive mango to graft onto my ataulfo rootstock?
« on: January 06, 2018, 03:16:37 AM »
I've heard that sweet tart and maha chanok are two very good options in San Diego. Any other good options?

Between these two varieties, which grows larger? Is there one that would work better on ataulfo?

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: What is a productive mango to graft onto my ataulfo rootstock?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2018, 05:02:48 AM »
Sweet Tart is a faster grower (and larger)  than Maha in SoCal.  Both varieties would thrive on ataulfo rootstock in CA.

Both Sweet Tart and Maha are very productive in SoCal.
So are Valencia Pride, Keitt, and to some extent Pickering.  Of these 5 varieties, Maha and Pickering are the smaller trees.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 05:16:13 AM by wslau »
Warren

wslau

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2018, 05:16:48 AM »
As everyone always states, flavor is subjective.  So if production is equal...my friends would go for sweet tart based on flavor profile (Indo-Chinese) and complexity.  Sweet tart has consistently hit the highest brix level (sweetness) while having some tartness too.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 05:22:20 AM by wslau »
Warren

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2018, 10:19:35 AM »
I would pick Sweet Tart over Maha. Maha is a good mango but Sweet start is excellent.

Simon

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2018, 11:29:23 AM »
I would pick Sweet Tart over Maha. Maha is a good mango but Sweet start is excellent.
Simon
Never ate a Maha but don't people rate it very high on the taste scale? I have seen them on the tree and they are the most exotic looking mango. Also off tree and given to people it will impress them greatly. We all want-like congratulations and ego boosts. Sweet Tart frui looks like a nothing.
So just to make your choice more difficult I am throwing this into the hopper.

You could grow it as a Maha Chanok on yr ataulfo rootstock and graft sweet tart onto same tree later. This would be quite a combination.

wslau

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2018, 11:46:10 AM »

You could grow it as a Maha Chanok on yr ataulfo rootstock and graft sweet tart onto same tree later. This would be quite a combination.

Although possible to multi-graft onto one tree, it would be rather difficult to control/balance, as sweet tart grows much bigger than Maha in his San Diego climate.
Warren

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2018, 11:57:38 AM »
Zands, I’ve never been wowed with a Maha although it is one of the most beautiful Mangos with a heavenly scent and gorgeous blush of orange/pink on the skin. I would say the flavor of Maha is somewhat muted unlike that of sweet Tart which is a smack in your face.

Simon

luak

• U.S, Arkansas, Eureka Springs,Z7.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2018, 12:13:10 PM »
Finding budwood for Sweet Tart would be very hard, at least for me.Maybe come april have better luck

BonsaiBeast

• San Diego CA, USDA zone 10a, sunset zone 24
    • View Profile
    • BonsaiBeast
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2018, 02:39:55 PM »

Although possible to multi-graft onto one tree, it would be rather difficult to control/balance, as sweet tart grows much bigger than Maha in his San Diego climate.

You are saying that the sweet tart will grow into a larger tree than the Maha Chanok.

Consider my planting location: I have a slope to the south side of my house. The idea is to have 3 mango trees going down the slope, one by one, forming a sort of vertical hedge.

Given that I want to create this downslope row, would it be smarter to plant the sweet tart at the bottom, and maha chanok at the top, so that the maha chanok doesn't get shaded out by the larger sweet tart and they eventually form a somewhat even 'flat' canopy.

does this make any sense? I hope haha

wslau

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2018, 02:51:07 PM »

You are saying that the sweet tart will grow into a larger tree than the Maha Chanok.

Consider my planting location: I have a slope to the south side of my house. The idea is to have 3 mango trees going down the slope, one by one, forming a sort of vertical hedge.

Given that I want to create this downslope row, would it be smarter to plant the sweet tart at the bottom, and maha chanok at the top, so that the maha chanok doesn't get shaded out by the larger sweet tart and they eventually form a somewhat even 'flat' canopy.

does this make any sense? I hope haha

Yes, to all your questions.
Warren

wslau

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2018, 02:54:44 PM »
Finding budwood for Sweet Tart would be very hard, at least for me.Maybe come april have better luck

Sweet tart ....Easy to get.  Just ask TFF members squam256 or JF.
Reasonable prices/shipping and always great service from them.

Warren

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2018, 02:57:16 PM »
I should have plenty of ST this summer plus 10-15 other varieties