Author Topic: Taiwan Gold - A big time mango  (Read 5174 times)

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Taiwan Gold - A big time mango
« on: January 12, 2018, 03:56:56 AM »

A friend brought me some Taiwan gold mangoes and they sure are big and they taste good as well. I clipped the seed in the cut one.
It seems to be a very late variety and unlike most varieties thrives in high rainfall places getting over 4000mm/yr.

sunny

• Thailand
    • View Profile
Re: Taiwan Gold - A big time mango
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 07:52:24 AM »
Thailand hav much Taiwan mango now, very big and very nice one. I like jakrapat and red elephant.

This one can be kim hong....other ones are better.

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 08:51:34 AM »
I’m guessing this is the same Mango as “ Golden Queen”

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 09:03:33 AM »
It looks like a Golden Queen mango to me as well

Here is a picture for reference (Sweet Tart on top, Jin Huang aka Golden Queen on bottom)

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 09:15:45 AM »
Looks like the thai mango sia tong .They can go 2 kilo and can have a pink blush.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 12:10:49 PM by shot »

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 12:04:02 PM »

A friend brought me some Taiwan gold mangoes and they sure are big and they taste good as well. I clipped the seed in the cut one.
It seems to be a very late variety and unlike most varieties thrives in high rainfall places getting over 4000mm/yr.

Is it polyembryonic ?

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 02:42:07 PM »
Looks like Tong bi con I got from Excalibur.
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2018, 03:08:03 PM »
Taiwan gold may be a local name and thanks for the alternative names. I figured it must be reasonably well known as it is of good quality and strikingly large.

rliou

• Cerritos, Los Angeles,CA, sunset zone 22, USDA 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2018, 08:41:07 PM »
It definitely is the Jin Huang (golden queen) variety from taiwan.  It's a late commercial variety there.  It has Kiett in its lineage which is why it's a late variety.  It supposedly also have a mango named "white" as the other parent.  Generally have to be harvest green and ripen later commercially.  I am sure it has other names in Thailand and other places.
Robert

Kada

• Taiwan
    • View Profile
    • Kada's Garden
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2018, 08:49:14 AM »
Ya, but generally we do not consider it of great taste quality.  It's big and beautiful and grows well in the hot wet SW so is commercial, but not the best tasting. One of the cheaper ones per kg but their size is huge so growers still make good $ :) I used to grow it for same reason haha.

Jinhuang is  the pinyin translation.

Do you grow it there now?

sunny

• Thailand
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2018, 09:13:28 AM »
Ya, but generally we do not consider it of great taste quality.  It's big and beautiful and grows well in the hot wet SW so is commercial, but not the best tasting. One of the cheaper ones per kg but their size is huge so growers still make good $ :) I used to grow it for same reason haha.

Jinhuang is  the pinyin translation.

Do you grow it there now?

Which mango is best in taiwan?

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2018, 01:08:10 PM »
The interesting thing about the golden queen is that it can be eaten green, at which point it has no acidity. Squirrels tend to enjoy it when green.
Jeff  :-)

Kada

• Taiwan
    • View Profile
    • Kada's Garden
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2018, 11:46:52 PM »
Thinking more about this, I'm nearly positive the fruit you originally posted with the added mention of eating green is certainly not Jinhuang.  Jinhuang is harvested green then ripens in boxes or sheets for sale.  The one you posted now seems to me more like the other mangifera, the Latin name is escaping me now but I grow it also.  There are different varieties, one new one becoming popular amongst people who have access is Longan mango.  Which is said to be a natural hybrid of the 2 species in the mountains and is now being graded lots.  I'm headed now to check my trees for signs of flowering, but only 2 years 8n the ground.  This type of mango is well kNown here for being able to eat with green skin while tasting fully ripe.  And my favorite aspect is nearly no fiber!

As for best in Taiwan...That's a hard one, everyone has their preference.  We eat hard green mangoes that are sour here...I hate them but many LOVE them!  Pickled almost in flavour.

Commercially I would personally say Yuwen types are the best as they are big like Jinhuang, but fatter, but have far sweeter flavor, and better texture.  More picky in growing though.  If people are into the mango scene and can get ahold of less than commercial types, there are hundreds of goodies.  The peach types I tend to like, very fruity/citrus like and like Irwin kind of size so good out of hand.  But to each their own.  I like no fibre, thick skin and firm flesh personally so go for those.

If people are looking for mangoes suited for wet from Taiwan , aim to get varieties grown in mountain side areas of Pingtung, kaohsiung and Tainan counties.  The mountains there, especially north pingtung, get some of the heaviest rains around, but note they have relatively rain free winters, albeit quite humid.

For colder types, air for east coast and northern region varieties, but not nearly as many.  SW Taiwan is the fruit central of the country.

DaveT

• Australia,QLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2018, 05:56:19 AM »
Yeah! The Thais in Rustys market call this one Kim Hong (which doesn't make it true, a sale is more important than any accuracy), they also claim it is nice eaten green as well. I haven't tasted them green but I got a few ripe ones a couple of years ago and they all turned out mono-embryonic. I agree it is a nice eating mango as it has very even ripening which large sized mangoes can struggle with.

'

sunny

• Thailand
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2018, 06:49:34 AM »
Yeah! The Thais in Rustys market call this one Kim Hong (which doesn't make it true, a sale is more important than any accuracy), they also claim it is nice eaten green as well. I haven't tasted them green but I got a few ripe ones a couple of years ago and they all turned out mono-embryonic. I agree it is a nice eating mango as it has very even ripening which large sized mangoes can struggle with.

'

I don't like this mango Kim Hong, i like jakrapat and also red elephant is very nice one. Summersnow is also not nice.

But we have more new from taiwan, i will buy soon. I think jakrapat is yu-wen, very big and red....2 kilo.

Kada

• Taiwan
    • View Profile
    • Kada's Garden
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2018, 08:58:20 AM »
Ya Yuwen is famous for its pink to red color and large size.  But unlike jinhuang Yuwen is rounder. Not as long, so seems more flesh and less seed. And taste much better for most. But to each their own.

sunny

• Thailand
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2018, 09:09:39 AM »
Ya Yuwen is famous for its pink to red color and large size.  But unlike jinhuang Yuwen is rounder. Not as long, so seems more flesh and less seed. And taste much better for most. But to each their own.

Yes Yuwen is very nice but also Elephant red = chang daeng. Big red mango's, thin seed and no fibre, sweet. But these is very hard to grow and fruit, my friend has them and they never bloom and is grafted tree's.

Summersnow is very bad, i no understand why taiwan make that.

Kada

• Taiwan
    • View Profile
    • Kada's Garden
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2018, 10:12:03 AM »
do you know the Chinese or pinyin of summersnow?

thin seed, no fiber and sweet, sounds lovely.  ya many mangoes really can be picky.  unfortunately Taiwan relies HEAVILY on chemicals to overcome many fruit issues...

sunny

• Thailand
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2018, 08:53:33 PM »

Kada

• Taiwan
    • View Profile
    • Kada's Garden
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2018, 10:14:12 AM »
great thanks, i never knew the english names of our mangoes before!