Author Topic: What is your favorite variety of cherimoya?  (Read 3548 times)

BonsaiBeast

• San Diego CA, USDA zone 10a, sunset zone 24
    • View Profile
    • BonsaiBeast
What is your favorite variety of cherimoya?
« on: January 20, 2018, 01:26:42 PM »
I'm looking to plant a tree. I heard Pierce is good.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: What is your favorite variety of cherimoya?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2018, 01:49:53 PM »
Pierce is excellent and so is El Bumpo, Orton, Fino De Jete, Booth, Dr White and many others. I would recommend trying to taste as many different varieties as possible before planting a tree because taste is so subjective. I’ve heard some people complain that Pierce is too sweet but I love it. See if you can find a multigraft tree if possible.

Simon

BonsaiBeast

• San Diego CA, USDA zone 10a, sunset zone 24
    • View Profile
    • BonsaiBeast
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2018, 02:49:14 PM »
Pierce is excellent and so is El Bumpo, Orton, Fino De Jete, Booth, Dr White and many others. I would recommend trying to taste as many different varieties as possible before planting a tree because taste is so subjective. I’ve heard some people complain that Pierce is too sweet but I love it. See if you can find a multigraft tree if possible.

Simon

Do you know anything about honey heart? Ive seen her at home Depot. If they're good, I could save money getting one of those.

wayne23

• San Gabriel, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2018, 08:24:33 PM »

Simon

Do you know anything about honey heart? Ive seen her at home Depot. If they're good, I could save money getting one of those.

oh you missed the cherimoya tasting event yesterday in Irvine.  there were about 12 varieties and Pierce was my favorite.  I tasted Pierce from 2 separate trays (assuming different fruits), both were firmer than usual, sweet and a good balance of acid.  This was the first time I tasted cherimoyas with their names attached ;).  I think the fruit taste would vary depend on state of ripeness, and other factors.  honestly I think the Pierce I tasted may have been slightly under ripe.  It wasnt as sweet as some has described.  but I actually preferred it that way. 

you are near Fallbrooks.  you should visit Atkins Nursery instead of home depot.  3 weeks ago they had a ton of 5gal moyas for $25ea. 

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2018, 09:45:21 PM »
Heneyhart is also a good variety, in my opinion, it hoes have a honey nuance to its flavor. Selma is also a good variety.

Simon

Jack, Nipomo

• San Luis Obispo County, CA zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2018, 09:08:30 AM »
Thanks for giving Orton Englehart credit in Honeyhart's name.  I agree that there are many different cherimoyas and a multigrafted tree is the way to go.  Cherimoya grafts so easily that you could pick up any cherimoya and graft it with different varieties as it grows.  Lots of scionwood out there.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2018, 09:41:37 AM »
Thanks for giving Orton Englehart credit in Honeyhart's name.  I agree that there are many different cherimoyas and a multigrafted tree is the way to go.  Cherimoya grafts so easily that you could pick up any cherimoya and graft it with different varieties as it grows.  Lots of scionwood out there.
(I wonder what happened to Orton Englehart's ranch in Escondido.  A quiet but industrious little man.  Met him and Ann back in the 70's.  Their fruit was the best.)  Are atemoyas as easy to graft as cherimoyas?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 09:44:40 AM by johnb51 »
John

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2018, 10:01:40 AM »
Atemoya is just as easy to graft as Cherimoya in my experience.

Simon

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2018, 10:58:21 AM »
My favorite is the ripe one on the tree ;D El Bumpo and have some good seedling too!