Tropical Fruit > Tropical Fruit Discussion

Die Die fungus Mango Regimen

(1/2) > >>

JoeP450:

Hey Forum,

Seen a few posts on here about spraying mangos and trying to make heads or tales out of it, so posting this as to maybe elicit feedback from the pros and help the new to sprayers like myself. This is my first time ever spraying for fungus in my yard and with 7 small-ish mangos I’m using a cheep 1 gal sprayer from Home Depot. Bought Bonide liquid copper 16oz and Sulfur powder 1lb from amazon, placed 1/4 cup of sulfur (powder first) then 1/4 cup liquid copper into sprayer then filled with warm tap water. Went to town on my trees right before the sun went down. I read somewhere that best time to spray is before sun goes down as possibly too much early sun would be rough on the trees. Plan to do this around every 1.5 weeks, my Maha just started flowering and others are starting to push... flowers I hope!

-Joep450

Brev Grower:
Hey Joe, that sounds like a lot of product to use in 1 gallon. Is that what the instructions tell you to add? I use about 1 tablespoon per gallon of each.

JoeP450:

Hey Brev Grower,

I went the higher end of the range because I have a 1/4 cup measuring spoon to to keep it simple, I’ve been looking at my trees since application and they seem fine for now.

-Joep450

Kada:
people here use a metal backpack version.  but gotta say.  we have huge health problems in this country, especially with farmers.  organ failures and cancers being right up there.  not saying your chem is good or bad, no idea, but i will say dont cheap out on protective gear.  and dont get lazy or give in to uncomfort in the heat.  use it, especially a respirator.

recently i was offered a very large mango farm to run as my own for nearly nothing.  but the old lady there cooked me dinner and told me not to take the opportunity as she knows better than anyone what it costs health wise.  maybe its different where you are, but mango hormones and sprays can be pretty bad with continuous use.  maybe its preaching to the choir, no idea what this forum thinks of sprays in general, but just want to mention it as i know many farmers now dead or dieing from long term exposure to various ag applications :(

Brev Grower:
I agree with you Kada, use the minimum possible to achieve the desired outcome. Wear protective gear at all times! Eyes and lungs especially. I know both the sulfur and the copper are generally considered safe and that is why I would apply some in dire circumstances, but I don't think I would start at the top range of concentration. You also have to think of collateral damage to the environment. Definitely don't want copper in our lakes and streams...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version