Author Topic: Are there superior Dragonfruit varieties?  (Read 3359 times)

BonsaiBeast

• San Diego CA, USDA zone 10a, sunset zone 24
    • View Profile
    • BonsaiBeast
Are there superior Dragonfruit varieties?
« on: January 30, 2018, 01:12:43 PM »
I have the red, pink, and white fleshed varieties from home Depot (la Verne nursery?).

Are there superior named varieties?

Ebonyks

• Milwaukee
    • View Profile
Re: Are there superior Dragonfruit varieties?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 01:16:03 PM »
The yellow varieties are generally thought of as being the best.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 01:47:18 PM »
Get named varieties so you know exactly what you’re getting. American Beauty, Sugar Dragon, Frankie’s Red and Yellow Dragon are the four varieties I would plant if I could only have four varieties.

Simon

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2018, 02:24:08 PM »
Yellow
YELLOW

BonsaiBeast

• San Diego CA, USDA zone 10a, sunset zone 24
    • View Profile
    • BonsaiBeast
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2018, 02:33:29 PM »
Get named varieties so you know exactly what you’re getting. American Beauty, Sugar Dragon, Frankie’s Red and Yellow Dragon are the four varieties I would plant if I could only have four varieties.

Simon

Do you know where I may find and buy these varieties?

Schutzhund

• United States, Los Angeles, CA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2018, 03:23:13 PM »
I sell many varieties of Dragon fruit cuttings, I have 20 +

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2018, 03:56:47 PM »
Yellow
YELLOW

Which “Yellow” Dragon Fruit?

Not all Dragon Fruit sold as “Yellow” taste good IMO.

Huge difference between Yellow Megalanthus and Yellow Undatus Dragon Fruit.

FamilyJ

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2018, 04:29:22 PM »
West coast has Best named type Dragon fruit, trying to get them here on East Coast

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2018, 06:46:45 PM »
In the end game whatever grows best in your area. While the yellow MA may indeed be sweetest you have to wait a while to grow one to bear fruit and after every flowering many months to ripen, it has thorns, and mature plants are not available. The whites are generally less flavorful but some are large. The pinks and reds are generally less flavorful than yellow but some of them are not self-fertile so much labor and luck might be required to get any fruit at all. Many considerations here, in other words.

West coast is quite different conditions from what DF has evolved in. Florida is actually closer to the climate of their origin. Lots to think about.

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2018, 09:06:48 PM »
In the end game whatever grows best in your area. While the yellow MA may indeed be sweetest you have to wait a while to grow one to bear fruit and after every flowering many months to ripen, it has thorns, and mature plants are not available. The whites are generally less flavorful but some are large. The pinks and reds are generally less flavorful than yellow but some of them are not self-fertile so much labor and luck might be required to get any fruit at all. Many considerations here, in other words.

West coast is quite different conditions from what DF has evolved in. Florida is actually closer to the climate of their origin. Lots to think about.

I disagree.  The pinks and reds are generally more flavorful, but less sweet than the yellow Megalanthus.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2018, 06:02:13 AM »

I disagree.  The pinks and reds are generally more flavorful, but less sweet than the yellow Megalanthus.
Ah, thanks for the correction. I'm continuing to find more reasons to not bother growing the yellow.

Bush2Beach

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2018, 11:57:09 AM »
I'm no Dragonfruit expert. I was unaware of the Yellow undatas, never tried it.
My opinion is the Yellow's I've tried tasted good whereas other Dragonfruit I've had tasted like an overpriced Cereus Peruvianas, A hype fruit sold at an exorbinant premium based on appearance and name only.
I mean seriously is there anything thats easier to grow or propagate than a Dragonfruit? No.
Why are cuttings or fruit pricey?

Yellow
YELLOW

Which “Yellow” Dragon Fruit?

Not all Dragon Fruit sold as “Yellow” taste good IMO.

Huge difference between Yellow Megalanthus and Yellow Undatus Dragon Fruit.

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2018, 12:09:34 PM »

Why are cuttings or fruit pricey?

Cuttings are free for many of us ($10. for most others).

Imported fruit is Supply and Demand...  there is not enough supply to keep prices down.

Bush2Beach

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2018, 12:20:36 PM »
Thats true Ricshaw, supply and demand runs things.
I suppose I find it strange for what I see as a kind of hype, flavorless fruit but surely I haven't tried enough good one's direct from the farm. Ive yet to try the Edgar Valdivia hybrids . I guess the question in my mind shifts to how demand could outweigh supply with a plant that can be propagated nearly infinitely with very low cost or time input. I think people will try to capitalize and the market will shift in the next 10 years. Human's fascination with fruits that are red should be someone's Master's Thesis ;)

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2018, 12:40:45 PM »
The plants require a support, that takes effort and money.  Then they need a raised box or pot with good soil, more effort and money.  Then they need to be trained, more effort.  Then polinated, and protected from animals.  Not really that simple to grow.  Throwing an avocado or orange tree in the ground is much simpler. 

As far as taste goes, I would say they are pretty good eats if you get red or purples.  Growing it and having lots of it for free would be ideal.  Its a lot of work though so you pay for someone elses efforts.
Brad Spaugh

FamilyJ

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2018, 01:21:45 PM »
the setup can cost as little as $20

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2018, 05:35:50 PM »
Thats true Ricshaw, supply and demand runs things.
I suppose I find it strange for what I see as a kind of hype, flavorless fruit but surely I haven't tried enough good one's direct from the farm. Ive yet to try the Edgar Valdivia hybrids . I guess the question in my mind shifts to how demand could outweigh supply with a plant that can be propagated nearly infinitely with very low cost or time input. I think people will try to capitalize and the market will shift in the next 10 years. Human's fascination with fruits that are red should be someone's Master's Thesis ;)

I think part of the attraction and demand is an ethnic thing.

Some people like foods other people don’t. You may crave a food I don’t like.

Bush2Beach

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2018, 06:21:12 PM »
True True again Ricshaw. Totally on point, Everyone has different tastes and savors different flavors.
I believe I remember the ethnic thing for attraction to red colored fruits like a Tommy Atkins being described on a tour of Chapman Field Station as Anglo-Mango's, but I think being attracted to an edible red fruit is a common human trait.

Bush2Beach

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2018, 06:32:47 PM »
You can grow them in the ground, without training, along a 100 foot section of chain link fence, rock wall, concrete wall if you want.
As far as propagating a plant, what plant is easier to propagate then Dragonfruit.
Growing any edible you enjoy and having lots of it for free is ideal. I'm saying that at $6-$8 a pound there's plenty of other fruits I would buy before a Dragonfruit, taste and nutrition wise.
Also I agree about Red's or Purple's but I'd guess 75% of Dragonfruit that make it to market's around the world are white inside. Ive never seen a Red or Purple for sale anywhere before but I know So Cal has more going on with actual commercial farms of it and the Dragonfruit group.

The plants require a support, that takes effort and money.  Then they need a raised box or pot with good soil, more effort and money.  Then they need to be trained, more effort.  Then polinated, and protected from animals.  Not really that simple to grow.  Throwing an avocado or orange tree in the ground is much simpler. 

As far as taste goes, I would say they are pretty good eats if you get red or purples.  Growing it and having lots of it for free would be ideal.  Its a lot of work though so you pay for someone elses efforts.

beicadad

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2018, 06:56:48 PM »

Ah, thanks for the correction. I'm continuing to find more reasons to not bother growing the yellow.

I also find pink and red more flavorful though less sweet. Overall I like pink/red ones better than yellow.

beicadad

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2018, 07:10:51 PM »
True True again Ricshaw. Totally on point, Everyone has different tastes and savors different flavors.
I believe I remember the ethnic thing for attraction to red colored fruits like a Tommy Atkins being described on a tour of Chapman Field Station as Anglo-Mango's, but I think being attracted to an edible red fruit is a common human trait.

part of it definitely is. Americans in general are much less keen to go after high quality, tasty fruits, especially those exotic fruits.

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2018, 08:30:39 PM »
I probably would not pay $20. for a half gallon of fresh sugar cane juice.

But Ryan in Fountain Valley. CA has  people excited about buying his juice.

Bush2Beach

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2018, 11:45:22 PM »
Thats awesome, seem's like a fair deal for a 1/2 gallon of cane juice. Probably good spots in LA to get it cheap from Mexico. Cool industrial juicer machine too.