Author Topic: Mango: Sulfur application - late inflorescence - fruit drop question  (Read 1393 times)

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
I was gone for a few days and what had been a couple of flowers on one mango tree had become a full fledged late flowering on 3 trees.
I sprayed some sulfur as part of regime to keep powdery mildew at bay.  It rained about an hour later.  fairly heavy shower too and will likely have rain showers in the next day or two.
My question is, should I consider the current application a bust and spray as son as I get a good dry day or should I assume I got some benefit from this application and wait a little?

Also, the trees that flowered dropped a fair amount of fruits a couple the size of golf balls, most about the size of a grape.  Is this normal and what can I do to limit fruit drop.

Happy it rained, it had been bone dry for a while.  I think that may be more to blame for the fruit drop.  I wet the trees twice a week during the driest period, not sure if I let the irrigation run long enough though.

In case it matters, biggest culprit is a Choc-anon, about 12 feet tall.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
Sulfur tends to stick pretty well. As we start getting into hot weather, I would be careful applying sulfur, as it can burn.

Fruit drop is pretty normal. "Excessive" drop can be ameliorated with good cultural practices, such as watering and fertilizing. However, what constitutes "excessive" is cultivar-specific and requires some knowledge of what a tree is capable of producing.

Typically, one fruit per panicle is good fruit set. On cultivars whose fruit are small, you'll usually see many fruits per panicle that will stay til harvest. And on large fruited cultivars, you might not expect more than a fruit per 3 or 4 panicles.

Some folks like to see multiple fruit per panicle and get upset when fruits drop (eg, my wife). However, as a rule of thumb, more fruit per panicle means smaller fruit and vice versa.
Jeff  :-)

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
Thanks, I have a lot of drops to go then.   :)

I intend to irrigate and fertilize this year, a practice I heather-to had not done consistently.

I am also using fungicide and I can already tell the difference in cleaner fruit to this point.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk