Citrus > Citrus General Discussion

Is there any orange or grapefruit hybrid with sweet edible skin?

(1/5) > >>

00christian00:
I'm a big fan of kumquat hybrid and I was wondering how come there is no hybrid with big fruit yet?
I think it could be a very interesting fruit commercially, it's strange there isn't more hybridization testing.
Something like a orange or a grapefruit cross which maintain the size and combine the sweet skin.
I have an orangequat variegated and while the taste it's exactly like orange, it's still a kumquat in size.

Millet:
The grapefruit itself is a hybrid (pummelo X orange)

brian:
My Nippon Orangequat produces fruit as large as a mandarin.  It isn't very good, though.  I have most kumquats and hybrids and my experience is that while the skin is edible on the hybrids it isn't actually sweet like "true" kumquats such as nagami, marumi, fukushu, meiwa. 

I would love a kumquat-grapefruit hybrid.   Even better if more seedless kumquats were available. You

SoCal2warm:
The skin of mandarinquat is edible, although it isn't as good as kumquat.

You probably wouldn't consider this edible in the same sense as kumquats but the skin from the rinds of citron are very good in baked goods, or candied.

bsbullie:
Its not big like an orange but skin of the Centennial Kumquat is sweet, and an exxellent balance with the virtually seedless flavorful tart flesh.

Skin of the red lime is very much edible and sweet and fruit is of decent size compared to kumquat.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version